Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

I have faith that the powers that be are/were in full knowledge of any medical issues he has/had before the $11.6.

1.  If he's indeed injured: operate, LTIR, and come back for 2025

2.  If the med staff say he can play and it will heal on its own, then, only they know that and we don't

3.  If he's 100%, sit his ass down.

I don't believe that the #40 we saw 12 months is missing because of simply choice.  

Everyone in the league is the best in the world: even his competition.   At this level, not much really separates a #5OA from a #40OA; all players are world-class.

Well much like Pettersson, my petey shirt has been missing since March last year when his scoring dried up. 

However after an exhaustive search it has finally been found. A good omen I hope, love to see him get back to the form which makes him an incredible player.

IMG_8339.thumb.jpeg.d7cc618ba5402e1c8dbb497065431389.jpeg

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

One thing I will say about Pettersson, I can forgive a player who simply makes mistakes even if they are big mistakes that really cost the team as long as you can tell that they are trying, working hard and actually care about what’s happening, but that really doesn’t seem to be the case with him right now and that’s what makes him so hard to watch is because he doesn’t look like he cares or is even trying very hard, watching him would be a lot less frustrating if he was still trying his hardest but just making honest mistakes. 

31 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

One thing I will say about Pettersson, I can forgive a player who simply makes mistakes even if they are big mistakes that really cost the team as long as you can tell that they are trying, working hard and actually care about what’s happening, but that really doesn’t seem to be the case with him right now and that’s what makes him so hard to watch is because he doesn’t look like he cares or is even trying very hard, watching him would be a lot less frustrating if he was still trying his hardest but just making honest mistakes. 

I suppose it varies from eye to eye. To me, it really does look like he's putting in effort, but is seriously lacking in confidence. He's try to shoot all the time, but hesitates a lot and appears to be thinking a lot about what to do. There's not a natural flow to his play like there is to Miller's or Hughes' and he instead looks a bit disjointed and slow to make decisions.

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I want Petey to shoot more. Be a little more greedy. He has to be a ppg for the Canucks to be contenders. He is moving well. 

When I watch him, he's trying to shoot a lot actually, but he hesitates and often doesn't get great shots on net.

• Like 1

Coach justified to call him out and even possibly reduce his time on the ice.  I wonder though, if Tochet was ticked at his play why did he pick him as one of the shoot out players?  The same old shooters become too predictable and slow on their approach to the goal  Let some of the younger guys have a shot on goal.

21 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

Coach justified to call him out and even possibly reduce his time on the ice.  I wonder though, if Tochet was ticked at his play why did he pick him as one of the shoot out players?  The same old shooters become too predictable and slow on their approach to the goal  Let some of the younger guys have a shot on goal.

What a world we live in where Pettersson is excluded from "the younger guys". I guess he is 25 now and almost 26.

Hire Kevin Bieksa to make a tape that just goes "shots shots shots, more shots" to play sublimally to him when he sleeps.

Hire Kevin again to call him every day in the off season and go "squats squats, more squats".

Hire an Itallian mother to feed him and say "manga, manga, manga, you need the energy for your squats and shots!"

• Like 1

While I agree with Petey needing to be better. 

One thing I hope Canucks fans try to keep in mind when leveling critique at him is to please stop saying he doesn't care. Swedish players are often like this! We should know our franchise has been full of Swedes! 

Naslund got the same complaints about "not caring", the Sedins got hit with it too. They just have a different demeanor from North American players. They aren't the loudest, they don't do public meltdowns. We're not going to see a Miller style outbursts very frequently with Petey. 

Critique his play no problem, but let's stop supporting a narrative that he doesn't give a shit and just wants to collect his paycheck.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Bonkers said:

To me it looks like his skating is still off. It affects his whole body language on the ice. But he will be back in form...

Yes, I agree.

Ep was never an elite skater but watching him skate in these two games, which admittedly is not a large sample, his stride is choppy, he is not generating a lot of speed and he is not using his edges like he has in the past. 

It does look like his skating is still off.

Waking up to freakin early to watch another frustrating game. I think Petey looked 5-10% better (optimist that I am). Anyhow, I would think he needs a reset. He should stop trying to be Kopitar or Bergeron for a while. Stop playing PK and focus all his mind on driving offence. His mind probably juggles 5 offensive and 5 defensive plays simultaneously when his on the ice. Set him free! 

• Cheers 1

I’m just tired watching Petey trying not to fall down every shift as opposed to trying to make something happen. 

What happened to star players making players around them better as opposed to cycling player after player to play alongside him to try to get him going.

I would feel better if at least he looked like he was working his ass off.  

I now overly focus on him every time he’s on the ice and constantly feel like yelling at clouds.

Yelling at clouds | outsidethesquare101

13 hours ago, Bobby James said:

While I agree with Petey needing to be better. 

One thing I hope Canucks fans try to keep in mind when leveling critique at him is to please stop saying he doesn't care. Swedish players are often like this! We should know our franchise has been full of Swedes! 

Naslund got the same complaints about "not caring", the Sedins got hit with it too. They just have a different demeanor from North American players. They aren't the loudest, they don't do public meltdowns. We're not going to see a Miller style outbursts very frequently with Petey

Critique his play no problem, but let's stop supporting a narrative that he doesn't give a shit and just wants to collect his paycheck.  

This is all very true...

Doubt you'll ever see Petey smash his stick on top of his goalies net, while screaming at him... and its not as if it endeared Miller to the fans... Players deals with adversity in different ways... And nobody will ever convince me that Petey isn't the one that hurt the most over his funk...

• Upvote 1

Prior to signing his new contract on March 2, 2024, Petey had 75 points in 63 games last year.  A rate of 1.19 ppg.

After signing his new contract he has 21 points in 35 games (reg season and playoffs and so far this year). A rate of .6 ppg.

Is it possible the problem is between his ears?

Just now, fanfor42 said:

Prior to signing his new contract on March 2, 2024, Petey had 75 points in 63 games last year.  A rate of 1.19 ppg.

After signing his new contract he has 21 points in 35 games (reg season and playoffs and so far this year). A rate of .6 ppg.

Likely. He needs to overcome it in order to be less streaky. If we want a shot at going anywhere he needs to be better. 

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Maybe the trading of his winger Kuzmenko played a part in that.

21 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Maybe the trading of his winger Kuzmenko played a part in that.

Maybe, but he was still almost a ppg in February (the month following the Kuzmenko trade on Jan 31). Petey's big drop off didn't come until after he signed his contract on March 2 and got worse in the playoffs and so far this year.