Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

Jess

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly the picture that’s shown

So why the hubbub? Club posts a picture of Petey. Petey posts (over the picture?) the club is home for five. Why is this a story? Seems like a nothing burger, no? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

So why the hubbub? Club posts a picture of Petey. Petey posts (over the picture?) the club is home for five. Why is this a story? Seems like a nothing burger, no? 

Just people speculating that’s he’s feeling positive vibes towards the team and wants to share it.

Could be nothing but fans are looking for any sign he wants to stay here right now.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It feels positive to me 

Cryptic was maybe the wrong word...I, too, find it positive.

Oh, Nucker ^^^^ you're right. I was mistaken, I thought we had 6 games before the ASG. That was my initial thought too though.

• Vintage 1

If petey does not want to commit trade him. They would get some awesome assets.

And I would not have to watch petey fall down 15 times per game. I would not care much. Petey is no where as near as important to this team as Miller. JT scores, wins faceoffs, hits, fights, and has enthusiasm. 

When petey is not scoring he is not doing much. 

If petey decides to show a little loyalty...that is fine also.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Mac said:

And I would not have to watch petey fall down 15 times per game. I would not care much. Petey is no where as near as important to this team as Miller. JT scores, wins faceoffs, hits, fights, and has enthusiasm. 

I'm a huge Miller fan, but this is a pretty big L take.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Forzatikare said:

A fun fact i just stumbled upon

If EP40 reaches 100 points this season he is the first Swede in NHL history with 2 consecutive 100 point seasons

Pretty neat. Gotta imagine Foppa woulda done it without so many injury problems. Kent Nilsson too: had 131 points and then 55 in 41 games, followed by 104 points.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Pretty neat. Gotta imagine Foppa woulda done it without so many injury problems. Kent Nilsson too: had 131 points and then 55 in 41 games, followed by 104 points.

Ye, probably.. A big part of having a great career is staying healthy aswell though

On 1/18/2024 at 4:08 AM, Mac said:

God for him he is scoring rather frequently.

Real question.  Is Petey a better winger than he is a centre?  We remember back 5 years ago when he played for Vaxjo he didn't play centre, he won all those trophies and put up historic numbers as a right winger.  And now again we see him put of the right wing and I'm not gonna lie, I see Beast Mode Petey.  A superstar turned generational talent with 1 move. Putting Petey with talent.  Now imagine if we didn't need to put Petey back to centre and we were able to get a Lindholm, well that changes everything.  

• Jess changed the title to Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW
17 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Real question.  Is Petey a better winger than he is a centre?  We remember back 5 years ago when he played for Vaxjo he didn't play centre, he won all those trophies and put up historic numbers as a right winger.  And now again we see him put of the right wing and I'm not gonna lie, I see Beast Mode Petey.  A superstar turned generational talent with 1 move. Putting Petey with talent.  Now imagine if we didn't need to put Petey back to centre and we were able to get a Lindholm, well that changes everything.  

The real question is:

Is the team better with Petey on the wing?  

And would the team be better with JT and Petey on the wing?  

Petey needs to go to Michigan this summer and train with Quinn, Jack, and Luke and just work skating drills. This stiff knee snow plow pizza on the inside edges to keep him on balance isn’t working. Clearly the Hughes family has figured out how to train skating as all three are elite skaters.

Petey is the man. He's been as advertised since we acquired him. But as previously mentioned, most of his successes prior to playing for the big club were garnered with him as a winger.  He is however, listed in hockey sites as a centre. And it's him at centre where I will give opinion.

I've no doubt that Petey be a competitive dude. He seemingly puts pressure on himself at every turn and hates when he's anything less than brilliant. In his mind I believe he thinks there's always room for improvement. I get it. He's a professional and strives to be such. What more do you want?

Well. Hockey pundits of all ilks be waxing enthusiastic on our Petey; his name linked with Hart and Selke talk. It's rare to hear anything horridious from most of them regarding our Petey. Most anything negative with him sadly stems from our hockey mad Vancouver Canuck fans. To even hear what RT said about him in the past few games was eye opening. And I've gotta say, RT's right. He's gotta get skating. 

I mean, how do you view Elias Pettersson. Is he a Franchise player? An Elite player? A Foundational player? A Generational player?

Well. He's definitely Elite. And he's Foundational; we built around him as well as we built around the other all stars we have. Franchise? Nope. Generational. Definitely not. 

All in all though as far as I'm concerned, he's a keeper. But..............

As a centre, he's no McKinnon or Crosby. Those guys can drive play and take a whole team on their backs. They're bigger, faster and stronger on their skates. They're also natural centres. Yea. I said, THEY'RE STRONGER ON THEIR SKATES. and that's my complaint with Petey.

Seemingly, Petey falls a lot. Especially when he plays centre between Myk and Kuzy. Petey has elite skills; his wrister, one timer, his stick handling, and his hockey acumen is top notch. Strangely enough, he's taller than either Crosby or McKinnon, but he's like 25 or 35 pounds lighter. Though Petey has added some physical play to his repertoire, he's no Getzlaf or Byfuglian. 

As we witnessed with the resurgence of the Lotto line, Petey was in terror beast mode in N.Y. State. We, and the pundits, loved what they saw and wanted to see more. Petey was f*ckin' awesome. Seems that soon as his responsibility to be the man between the 2 Russians was lifted, the real Petey was unleashed. Man, that was indeed a sight to see.  AND, he seemingly didn't fall....... WTF?!?!?!!???

I'm no expert, but it would seem to me that his skating needs work. Never thought skating was his forte anyways. Not that he sucks at skating. More so that of all the skills he so excellent at, skating isn't one of 'em. The perception of him being a good skater stems from his smarts and stick skills. But..............

RT stating what he said yesterday of Petey needing to skate (He obviously can see it first hand!) pretty much should be all the confirmation Petey needs to hear.

So with that, perhaps an off season training regime concentrating on his leg strength, core, and a skating coach. Petey is so competitive and aspires to be the best. Why not. 

Don't take it personal, Elias. You're already awesome and you could be awesomer! (That's not proper word!)

Cheers.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

• Cheers 1

I don't know where else to post this. But I'm sick of the media not taking responsibility for their dumb behaviour.

That scrum where Tocchet got upset and threatened to not say anything anymore. Where he was angry that the media were portraying his tempered criticism of Pettersson as he publicly BLASTED him.

If sports "journalists" actually were good at journalism, they'd have found how it started.  It was Jeff f'n Paterson.  He's the one who asked the question framed in a toxic way. Paraphrasing but something like "its been reported in the media, or, the media is saying...or like Trump "many people are saying"..........that you "blasted" Petey".

So Paterson just invented his own reality, inserted an exaggerated incendiary term, just to stir things up, and get a reaction. So Tocchet, with no reason to believe that Jeff was inventing things, reacted as an coach would hearing that.  Because that description was way off, if Jeff was telling the truth and that was how it was being reported.  When in fact it wasn't being reported that way.....only in Jeff's mind.

I thought Jeff Paterson had been kicked out of the press room.  No, a player probably won't leave the city just  based on one stupid incident like this.  But add them up day after day, it all piles up.  Paterson should have his credentials stripped.

Edited by kilgore
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Pettersson's 3 pt effort skates him into 16th in all-time Canuck scoring.

15   Andre Boudrias LW 458 121 267 388
16   Elias Pettersson C 374 163 224 387
17   Alexandre Burrows RW 822 193 191 384