The Whitecaps and MLS thread

the destroyer of worlds

So Houston takes a 2-0 lead in the first half.

Then the Whitecaps score 3 in the early part of  the second to take a 3-2 lead.

Then Houston score 2 more in the latter part of the second half and win the game 4-3.

Gotta love MLS.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I think they were looking forward to the Leagues Cup match against LAFC on Tuesday.

Ahh didn’t realize they played again so soon that makes sense then.

Seems like there was a lot of Wrexham fans there that got their monies worth at least.

• Cheers 1

LAFC 2  Vancouver 2  (Whitecaps win 4-2 on penalties)

The Whitecaps never make it easy on themselves.

They took an early two goal lead.  Berhalter scored a beauty from distance and then made a great corner kick that Veselinovic headed home.

From there, the Caps played a great game - disciplined, calm, in control.   Until the last five minutes or so.  Former Whitecap Kei Kamara broke through the Caps defense and headed home a goal that gave LAFC new energy.  However, in the last minute of play, Levonte Johnson got a clear run at goal and kicked what looked like the insurance goal and just missed by inches.  And, of course, LAFC came charging back down field and scored the tying goal with almost no time left.  And just for good measure, Vanni got a red card questioning whether LA's second goal was offside.

However, all was not lost.  Leagues Cup games don't end in draws.  So they went to shootouts and Vancouver won those 4-2.  Boehmer played this game and it should be noted he played well - making some tough saves during the game and in the shootout.

Whew!  Entertaining game, though.  Berhalter was justly named Man of the Match.  

Next match is Saturday at BC Place vs. Club Tijuana.  Lose in regulation will mean elimination.  Top 2 clubs in group advance.

Tiebreakers

If at the end of the Group Stage, two or more Clubs are tied in points, their position in the table would be determined according to the following tie-breaking criteria (these are only considered if the previous criterium in the list does not determine which Club advances):

1. Direct head-to-head match result between the tied Clubs (for clarity, a win in penalty kicks is a win for purposes of this tiebreaker).
2. Better goal differential between goals scored and goals conceded during the Group Stage.
3. Greater number of goals scored during the Group Stage.
4. Fewer number of goals conceded during the Group Stage.
5. Clubs Fair Play table (as defined and explained below).
6. The winner will be chosen in a draw organized by the Organizing Committee.

• Like 1

The Whitecaps Leagues Cup game against Tijuana on Saturday is on TSN at 7pm.

If the Whitecaps win or if the game is tied after 90 minutes, the Caps advance to the knock-out round.

If Tijuana wins in regulation, the Caps are out of the tournament.

Whitecaps 3  Tijuana 1

Whitecaps had a sluggish first half which saw Tijuana jump out to a 1-0 lead.  But with a couple of subs the Caps were a different team in the second with goals coming from Fafa. Johnson and Vite to secure a place in the round of 32.

They'll meet Mexican side Pumas in that round.

On 7/31/2024 at 1:03 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

Just got a chance to watch the highlights....

I'm a bit confused about the tying goal....that looked like it was clearly offside. Am I missing something? :classic_unsure:

55 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just got a chance to watch the highlights....

I'm a bit confused about the tying goal....that looked like it was clearly offside. Am I missing something? :classic_unsure:

I think you're missing Utvik.  He's out of the picture when the goal is scored but if you watch the lead up to the goal he's closest to the end line.  My guess is he's the one who kept the LA player onside.

Vancouver Whitecaps sign Édier Ocampo from Atlético Nacional

Vancouver Whitecaps FC have signed fullback Édier Ocampo from Colombian top-flight side Atlético Nacional, the club announced Thursday.

The 20-year-old Colombian youth international is under contract through 2027 with an option for 2028. He occupies a U22 Initiative roster spot.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vancouver-whitecaps-sign-edier-ocampo-from-atletico-nacional

• 3 weeks later...

Whitecaps 1   Pacific 0   (Whitecaps win series 2-0 on aggregate.)

Whitecaps win their semi-final matchup in the Canadian Champship against CPL team Pacific.

They'll meet Toronto in the final as the Caps go for their third consecutive championship.

• Cheers 1