The Whitecaps and MLS thread

the destroyer of worlds

Kansas 1     Ryan Gauld 2

Not a bad game for two struggling teams.  Kansas dominated the first half hour and had their chances but couldn't capitalize.  A much needed win for the Whitecaps.

Both of Gauld's goals showed his poise and quickness - the first by pouncing on a rebound while everyone else stood still and the second by poaching an errant pass by the Kansas defense.   Kansas ruined Takaoka's shutout in the final minutes through a defensive breakdown by the Caps.

With his two goals Gauld was man of the match but Berhalter had a noticeable game.  Brian White's slump continues as he didn't do much in the game before coming off late in the second half.

Next up: Colorado

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Whitecaps 2   Colorado 1

I missed most of the first half because I was watching the Rangers/Miami game.  Which is just as well because, judging from the announcers' comments, I didn't miss much.

The second half was okay.  All three goals were scored there.  Berhalter followed up his noticeable performance from the last game by scoring in this one.  Then Colorado scored about seven minutes later.  The game looked like it was going to end in a draw only for Kreilach to come on late (making his first appearance since his injury six or seven games ago) and score a dribbler that just eked out over the line.

Surprisingly, despite the recent stretch of mediocre play by the Caps they are in fifth place in the West.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Whitecaps lose 3-2 at Bew England Today

With all the hoopla around Euro 24 and the Florida/Oilers game I had forgotten there was a Whitecaps game today.

From the highlights, it looks like it was a pretty entertaining game.

Two goals for Gauld, the second was a beauty.

• Thanks 1

Portland 2  Whitecaps 0

The Caps started out okay for the first ten or fifteen minutes and then Portland took over.  They scored two goals in the first half.  Then, in the second half, Schopf picked up his second yellow and was ejected from the game.  So the Caps were down a man for most of the half.  And it showed.  They seemed disorganized and flat.  White, who didn't start, came in in the second half but left shortly thereafter after picking up a knock that had to be looked after.  The Caps mustered all of one shot on net in the entire game.

Next up:  St Louis

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Well that was entertaining 

I watched the Canada/Chile game and usually one soccer game a day is enough for me.  But I did check the score and saw it was 2-0 for St. Louis and thought "So much for that."

Looks like I missed the most entertaining game of the season so far.

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

I watched the Canada/Chile game and usually one soccer game a day is enough for me.  But I did check the score and saw it was 2-0 for St. Louis and thought "So much for that."

Looks like I missed the most entertaining game of the season so far.

I can usually just watch one a day too, but I was the opposite of you yesterday.  I tuned into the Whitecaps game just as they had scored to make it 2-2, so I kept watching and got to see the best part of the game.  Then a repeat of the Canada-Chile game came on right after and I decided to keep watching.  This turned out to be a good decision🙂.  Hopefully we've got some more good Vancouver/Canada soccer watching coming in the near future!

• Cheers 1

Vancouver Whitecaps FC's Brian White named Player of the Matchday

Brian White scored a hat trick to lead Vancouver Whitecaps FC to a 4-3 come-from-behind home win over St. Louis CITY SC, claiming MLS Player of the Matchday presented by Michelob Ultra honors for Matchday 23.

White is now a two-time Player of the Matchday recipient (Matchday 29 of 2021) and is Vancouver's first winner since Ryan Gauld in Matchday 21 of the 2023 season. Along with Sanvezzo (five times) and Kekuta Manneh (twice), he's the only player in club history to win multiple MLS Player of the Matchday awards.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-s-brian-white-named-player-of-the-matchday

• Cheers 1

Minnesota 1     Vancouver 3

A lively game that saw Vancouver score two early goals and go on to win despite some decent chances by Minnesota.

Vancouver goals by White, Laborda and Berhalter (whose goal may be the goal of the match day).

Vancouver is in fourth place (which would give them a home playoff game) in the West and yet only four points from tenth place (which would mean they would miss the playoffs altogether).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Minnesota 1     Vancouver 3

A lively game that saw Vancouver score two early goals and go on to win despite some decent chances by Minnesota.

Vancouver goals by White, Laborda and Berhalter (whose goal may be the goal of the match day).

Vancouver is in fourth place (which would give them a home playoff game) in the West and yet only four points from tenth place (which would mean they would miss the playoffs altogether).

Nice of Boxall to do his former team a solid on that opening goal....:classic_cool:

• Haha 1

And in other soccer news:

Montreal 1    Vancouver 1

A decent game.   Vancouver had the advantage in the first half, taking a 1-0 lead on a goal by (who else?) Brian White with an assist from (who else?) Ryan Gauld.

Monteal came back strong in the second half and scored the tying goal with about 10 minutes left.

Fair result.

Next up:   Pacific (Victoria) in the first leg of the Canadian Championship semi-final on Wednesday.  Which is bad timing because the Whitecaps are in Montreal and have to fly back to Vancouver for this game and then fly to St. Louis for their next MLS game on Saturday.

Pacific 0   Vancouver 1

The Whitecaps win the first leg of their Canadian Championship semi-final.  Gauld with the goal.

I only caught the second half but, considering the Caps were playing most of their starters, Pacific held their own.  If someone had told me that Pacific was an MLS team and not a CPL team, I would have believed them.

In the other semi-final, CPL side Forge beat Toronto FC 2-1 to win their first leg.

On 5/24/2024 at 4:09 PM, UnkNuk said:

Donnie & Dhali address the Messi situation:

The face of the league (NASL), Pele, was 36/37 years old when he played on the UBER CRAPPY turf at old Empire.  But M*ssi is too delicate & needs the rest.🥸