Rangers GM Drury taking calls on No 2 overall Kakko

48 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would be 100% ok with kicking tires on this player. These are the types of players that could put this team over the top. If we could rehabilitate a former 2nd overall into a top of the end player, it could be a huge boon.

I absolutely agree. This kid is a Tocchet kind of player. He has been rushed like we did with Podz but under the big lights of MSG. 
If he can mature his nasty power game in our top 6 I still think he could be a good asset if not a great scorer. 

53 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I would be 100% ok with kicking tires on this player. These are the types of players that could put this team over the top. If we could rehabilitate a former 2nd overall into a top of the end player, it could be a huge boon.

I'd kick something around Kaako for Podz+ around but the Rangers probably want NHL level help

It'd smart, but maybe something around Kaako and Hoglander? 

He's underwhelmed in New York, but it's unusual for a young guy who was drafted that high to be available, could be a good reclamation project

If you're gonna gamble it may as well be on pedigree 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd kick something around Kaako for Podz+ around but the Rangers probably want NHL level help

It'd smart, but maybe something around Kaako and Hoglander? 

He's underwhelmed in New York, but it's unusual for a young guy who was drafted that high to be available, could be a good reclamation project

If you're gonna gamble it may as well be on pedigree 

For sure I think he's worth a swing moreso than a lot of other players.  1st rounders don't always hit big but like you said better to bet on pedigree.

Reading some articles around him it seems like he's smart, teachable and has lots of great tools.

Rangers just have other options down the road and want immediate help to push.

Kuz-missile enters the Rangers chat!

I'd probably be OK with Podz going the other way if for some reason that's needed but I don't think it would.  Definitely think Hoglander should be untouchable except for part of a package on a sure fire 2nd line addition.  Kakko is definitely a possibly great player but there's risk there that I wouldn't give up Hogz for.

5 minutes ago, BigBird79 said:

For sure I think he's worth a swing moreso than a lot of other players.  1st rounders don't always hit big but like you said better to bet on pedigree.

Reading some articles around him it seems like he's smart, teachable and has lots of great tools.

Rangers just have other options down the road and want immediate help to push.

Kuz-missile enters the Rangers chat!

I'd probably be OK with Podz going the other way if for some reason that's needed but I don't think it would.  Definitely think Hoglander should be untouchable except for part of a package on a sure fire 2nd line addition.  Kakko is definitely a possibly great player but there's risk there that I wouldn't give up Hogz for.

It's a tricky one, Hoglander could very well be a Garland replacement sooner than later, but on the other hand a team usually has to give to get. 

I'm not keen on moving Hoglander, but Tochett also doesnt seem interested in giving him a chance at playing a larger role in the top 6. I'm fine keeping him, but if the Rangers want NHL level help and the Canucks are inquiring I could see Hoglander's name coming up. 

Trading Hoglander as opposed to Kuzmenko or our 1st means we still have those pieces to move, not that we'd give up a 1st for Kaako anyway. 

Kaakio's a pending RFA with a 2.1M cap hit, he shouldn't be due for much of a raise. 40 points last season, 23 on February 13th, 6'3". Could be tempting. Particularly if we can free up Kuzmenko or Garlands this season or in the offseason. And I think Kuzmenko is on outs. 

I'm open to moving Podz, he just hasn't done as much in the NHL though, which probably makes him less appealing to a team wanting NHL level help. 

I'd be down to move Kuzmenko to the Rags, they have the space now, but I question how they'd juggle Kuzmenko's cap hit next season when they've got RFA D in Schneider and Lindgren to extend this offseason.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

So Kuzmenko and our first rounder make it on their board of best trade bait this year, at 9th and 11th respectively.   Also the only other first rounder is EDM's at 17th.    That means they are tracking EDM to pass us.     Those six points against EDM, at the start of the season are looking huge right now.   

Tanev at number two, to me anyways, makes his stock a tad too rich for us.    Marroon is the player on this list I hope we target.   Won't cost the farm, and would be a big counter to EDMs  dirty ways.     Good chance,  we will need to beat them to get out of the West.   Also would help against Vegas. 

I don't think that's why they have the oilers below us - it's ranked by likelihood, not value.  Otherwise Gibson wouldn't be so low. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

I don't think that's why they have the oilers below us - it's ranked by likelihood, not value.  Otherwise Gibson wouldn't be so low. 

That makes some sense too.   As for Gibson, he controls his own destiny, blocking ten teams for sure affects things. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a tricky one, Hoglander could very well be a Garland replacement sooner than later, but on the other hand a team usually has to give to get. 

I'm not keen on moving Hoglander, but Tochett also doesnt seem interested in giving him a chance at playing a larger role in the top 6. I'm fine keeping him, but if the Rangers want NHL level help and the Canucks are inquiring I could see Hoglander's name coming up. 

Trading Hoglander as opposed to Kuzmenko or our 1st means we still have those pieces to move, not that we'd give up a 1st for Kaako anyway. 

Kaakio's a pending RFA with a 2.1M cap hit, he shouldn't be due for much of a raise. 40 points last season, 23 on February 13th, 6'3". Could be tempting. Particularly if we can free up Kuzmenko or Garlands this season or in the offseason. And I think Kuzmenko is on outs. 

I'm open to moving Podz, he just hasn't done as much in the NHL though, which probably makes him less appealing to a team wanting NHL level help. 

I'd be down to move Kuzmenko to the Rags, they have the space now, but I question how they'd juggle Kuzmenko's cap hit next season when they've got RFA D in Schneider and Lindgren to extend this offseason.

I think Hogs is being groomed into a future top 6 role.... 

Let him learn the ropes. Give him confidence and slowly let him play with the better players.

For once this organisation has enough depth not to throw youngster into the water and shout, swim or sink...

Hogs will be a top 9 player and possibly even a top 6 player... he is already a top 9 player, but they probably don't like the idea of Hogs with Garland on a line... size matters...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just wondering...

Podz is having a good season in the AHL. By all reports and from people watching him regularly, he is developing fine into a power forward with top 9 potential. Some already wants him on the big team now, and he is cheap. Just like Hogs....

Why are folks so quick to put these two into every trade proposal? 

Kaako has shown nothing yet, and although he obviously has huge potential, he is obviously not improving, otherwise Rangers wouldn't let him go.

Don't have a problem trading for him, but sure it should be to gain other advantages such as cap space etc., which can be used to get play off players...

Once this season is over we need cheap contracts, so both Hogs (who btw IS an NHL player) and Podz will come in handy...

Careful we don't trade away our own NHL potential players for scrubs regardless. of how high they were drafted....

Speaking to the first two bolded bits, it's because teams usually have to give to get, most moves don't involve one team ripping off the other imo 

Kaako put up 40 points last season, his 21-22 year-old season, he's also got high pedigree, this is why he'd be appealing 

Rangers want to chase a cup and have limited trade chips on their NHL roster, that's why he's available 

They're looking for an upgrade, or a center which is why they're linked to Monahan, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't see him as holding value 

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I think Hogs is being groomed into a future top 6 role.... 

Let him learn the ropes. Give him confidence and slowly let him play with the better players.

For once this organisation has enough depth not to throw youngster into the water and shout, swim or sink...

Hogs will be a top 9 player and possibly even a top 6 player... he is already a top 9 player, but they probably don't like the idea of Hogs with Garland on a line... size matters...

Possibly, he could likely be in a top 9 role next season if we move Garland out

Size does matter, Garland is an engine on the third line this season which makes him less likely to be moved in-season, but I could very easily see him being moved in the offseason for cap reasons, Hoglander could step into his spot if this occurs 

Realistically that third line could see quite a bit of turnover anyway, Joshua and Blueger probably won't be back at bargain rates, there's a chance that only one of that trio is a Canuck next season 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just wondering...

Podz is having a good season in the AHL. By all reports and from people watching him regularly, he is developing fine into a power forward with top 9 potential. Some already wants him on the big team now, and he is cheap. Just like Hogs....

Kaako has shown nothing yet, and although he obviously has huge potential, he is obviously not improving, otherwise Rangers wouldn't let him go.

Don't have a problem trading for him, but sure it should be to gain other advantages such as cap space etc., which can be used to get play off players...

Once this season is over we need cheap contracts, so both Hogs (who btw IS an NHL player) and Podz will come in handy...

Careful we don't trade away our own NHL potential players for scrubs regardless. of how high they were drafted....

Yes.   Kakko would require some careful pro scouting.   That "pedigree" also comes with paying for potential, or possibly overpaying    Spook he did have a "break out" (as the article says, lol ) season last year 18 goals and 40 points isn't bad.    I'd rather have 18 goals and 40 points from Podz's game though.     NYR wont be interested anyways, for sure they want a mature experienced vet with an actual track record.    

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Just wondering...

No idea why Hoglander and Podkolzin are thrown into trades.

Podkolzin is showing lots of potential.  He could turn into a solid 50 point, 2nd line power forward.

Hoglander is being developed perfectly IMO.  Lots of people are criticizing Tocchet that he's on the 4th line, but look at it this way, he has scored 14 goals, is showing immense potential, and is playing with confidence.  Leave him there to marinate into the top 6 we want him to be moving forward.  Throwing him into the top 6 now and expecting him to produce as a top 6 will just kill his confidence if he doesn't do it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Podkolzin is showing lots of potential.  He could turn into a solid 50 point, 2nd line power forward.

Hoglander is being developed perfectly IMO.  Lots of people are criticizing Tocchet that he's on the 4th line, but look at it this way, he has scored 14 goals, is showing immense potential, and is playing with confidence.  Leave him there to marinate into the top 6 we want him to be moving forward.  Throwing him into the top 6 now and expecting him to produce as a top 6 will just kill his confidence if he doesn't do it.

Hoglander is just a valuable trade chip so I get why people throw him in but as you said he's killing it and cheaply.  I would rather him stay in the Bottom 6 if he's happy, maybe he moves up later but for now why change what's working?

Podz has great potential and I hope if we keep him he slots in next year however I see Kakko as a similar profile to Podz but just a little further along so not the worst chip to lose.  As pointed out above Rangers don't necessarily want to move him but if they want a scoring winger and a 3C for a playoff push that's the only real useful trade chip they have.  It could bite them in the azz later but that's the risk they have to take if they want to push.

I still think given their needs Kuz is the main thing that will get it done.  We probably don't need to lose any prospects for that trade to work.

Maybe they'll have cap issues later but there's ways to deal with that and it's a later problem.  They can always flip Kuz or make other trades in the off season depending on how the cup run pans out.

Really think this would benefit our team long term with Kakko over Kuz.  It's not a surefire bet however the risk that he makes our team worse is low, the chances of a home run maybe aren't super high but Kuz is essentially useless to us right now the way our team identity is moving.

He's getting slowly better but the cap space we gain for our own cup run and he helps in ways that Kuz cannot outside of scoring, which we really don't need help with.

Someone else had mentioned making the 2nd line a Shutdown line and he would be a great add for that at least even if he doesn't score much right away.

Agreed with the Kuzmenko for Kakko proposals.  If the Rangers are willing to move on from an underachieving Goodrow, I'd hope we can add him to help shore up the PK.  His rugged game should also help in the playoffs, and we can see if Kakko can become a two-way player for us and start realizing some of his offensive potential.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Speaking to the first two bolded bits, it's because teams usually have to give to get, most moves don't involve one team ripping off the other imo 

Kaako put up 40 points last season, his 21-22 year-old season, he's also got high pedigree, this is why he'd be appealing 

Rangers want to chase a cup and have limited trade chips on their NHL roster, that's why he's available 

They're looking for an upgrade, or a center which is why they're linked to Monahan, that doesn't necessarily mean they don't see him as holding value 

Possibly, he could likely be in a top 9 role next season if we move Garland out

Size does matter, Garland is an engine on the third line this season which makes him less likely to be moved in-season, but I could very easily see him being moved in the offseason for cap reasons, Hoglander could step into his spot if this occurs 

Realistically that third line could see quite a bit of turnover anyway, Joshua and Blueger probably won't be back at bargain rates, there's a chance that only one of that trio is a Canuck next season 

Cheers Coconut...

No I understand that part. My issue is, if you make a trade, a player like Kuzmenko would surely be a player of interest to Rangers, as well as a big money move from Vancouver. 

We need cap space, if we want to make moves, and next season we need to shed some cap with bigger contracts to be signed.

Thus I would have thought trades like cuz or Mik together with our 1st or something along these line would be of more benefit to both parties....

Hogs is definitely a bottom 6 player and most likely also a top 6 player, so I'll be very weary of letting him go. 

Maybe less so Podz, but unless its guaranteed players, I'm not so quick on the draw as some... (although JR/PA are... 🙂 )

Agree 100% on the issues with size and the 3rd line... I'm sure Hogs is groomed for a role there... If nothing else, he is a dog on a bone, with the ability to score great goals... He may even be promoted to one of the top 2 lines (if he shows consistency, and the 3rd line remains)...

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   Kakko would require some careful pro scouting.   That "pedigree" also comes with paying for potential, or possibly overpaying    Spook he did have a "break out" (as the article says, lol ) season last year 18 goals and 40 points isn't bad.    I'd rather have 18 goals and 40 points from Podz's game though.     NYR wont be interested anyways, for sure they want a mature experienced vet with an actual track record.    

Cheers amigo...

This was exactly my point. they want an experienced vet, while we are trying to open up cap space for a 2C... Kuz to Rangers just makes sense...

• Cheers 1

New York is also in a position, similar to Carolina, in that they need to either shit or get off the pot at some point. They've been in that position for a couple years, which is why Miller to New York was actually a reasonable argument at one point. 

Panarin will be 33 in October, he's their offensive engine up front.

Zibanejad will be 31 in April.

Kreider will be 33 in April.

Trocheck will be 31 in July.

Laffy and Chytil have come along and shown they should be valuable to the Rags going forward, but Chytil is done for the season.

Their D is more on the younger side, which helps them going forward.

Shesterkin will be 29 in December and has one more year on his current deal, which features a bargain 5.6M cap hit. He's due for quite a raise.

The Rangers simply don't have a broad window to contend, they should have just ante'd up for Miller. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo...

This was exactly my point. they want an experienced vet, while we are trying to open up cap space for a 2C... Kuz to Rangers just makes sense...

You bet - totally got it too. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Bingo... mic drops... Cheers @HKSR

Barack Obama Mic Drop GIF

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Coconut...

No I understand that part. My issue is, if you make a trade, a player like Kuzmenko would surely be a player of interest to Rangers, as well as a big money move from Vancouver. 

We need cap space, if we want to make moves, and next season we need to shed some cap with bigger contracts to be signed.

Thus I would have thought trades like cuz or Mik together with our 1st or something along these line would be of more benefit to both parties....

Hogs is definitely a bottom 6 player and most likely also a top 6 player, so I'll be very weary of letting him go. 

Maybe less so Podz, but unless its guaranteed players, I'm not so quick on the draw as some... (although JR/PA are... 🙂 )

Agree 100% on the issues with size and the 3rd line... I'm sure Hogs is groomed for a role there... If nothing else, he is a dog on a bone, with the ability to score great goals... He may even be promoted to one of the top 2 lines (if he shows consistency, and the 3rd line remains)...

Not so sure Kuzmenko would work for the Rags, despite them having the cap space for him this season. That additional season could be more a hindrance than a help, both Schneider and Lindgren are due for raises as pending RFA D this offseason. They may have to replace Quick, they'll need to re-sign some of their bottom six. Chytil will also be back at some point, taking his cap space back. 

Monahan works better precisely because he's a pending UFA who can step into the Chytil spot. He's cheap too, which potentially leaves room for another addition (Kaako trade perhaps, or maybe he goes to Montreal for Monahan). 

Rangers have to be careful with the cap space they do have, I don't really see us as a good trade partner for them in a deal that doesn't involve Kaako. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Cheers amigo...

Also once these guys start to get picked off, things will change.    As will the price.   Will be interesting to see if Allvin is pre-emptive, like last year with Horvat (who was also number one), or wait and see how it goes.    Think the latter.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not so sure Kuzmenko would work for the Rags, despite them having the cap space for him this season. That additional season could be more a hindrance than a help, both Schneider and Lindgren are due for raises as pending RFA D this offseason. They may have to replace Quick, they'll need to re-sign some of their bottom six. Chytil will also be back at some point, taking his cap space back. 

Monahan works better precisely because he's a pending UFA who can step into the Chytil spot. He's cheap too, which potentially leaves room for another addition (Kaako trade perhaps, or maybe he goes to Montreal for Monahan). 

Rangers have to be careful with the cap space they do have, I don't really see us as a good trade partner for them in a deal that doesn't involve Kaako. 

That is very likely the case... 

I don't see us getting in there neither...

My only concern was us not doing, what was right for us... or as I see it, right for us 🙂

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Also once these guys start to get picked off, things will change.    As will the price.   Will be interesting to see if Allvin is pre-emptive, like last year with Horvat (who was also number one), or wait and see how it goes.    Think the latter.   

This is the best part about this management team... they have done well in most of the trades they've done so far... huge credit to them for that.

Without doubt they've been lucky with how the opportunities have presented themselves along the way, but you got to be good to be lucky vice verse

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

Wonder if there's a way we can swap Kuz for Kakko?
On paper sounds like a good fit for Tocchet style and he's smart and adaptable, sounds like good qualities overall with decent size.

Rangers have the space with Chytil on LTIR if he stays that way until playoffs maybe Rangers take a shot?

We can save 3mil or so in cap and possibly sneak a better younger player?  Might not pan out but worth a shot potentially depending on what other options are out there...

Great suggestion.