ALL-IN ALLVIN is here to stay [multi year extension]

MeanSeanBean

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Who knows? Selling high on someone like Brzustewicz could be a great move.

Great offensive D man but is he a future NHLer? Hard to say. He definitely has hype right now though.

If that's who he's talking about I'm ok with it 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I used to have a lot of respect for Elliot Friedman but his credibility has fallen for me.

Bingo. Friedman is everywhere and when you really listen to him, all he is doing is speculating, but a lot of people think he knows everything. Next time you listen to him, count all the times he says "I think". What makes his "I think" any more authoritative than what you or I think?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

For the first time in a while, everyone's happy with our GM. I remember when he made some big ballsy moves like the Hronek and Bo one, a lot of people were 50-50 with him. I'd say half of CDC loved them, half hated them, mainly due to the moving of firsts. People were a bit more on-side with his drafting of a bunch of defencemen and then acquiring Soucy and Cole in the off-season.

The biggest thing for him has been working closely with JR, and hiring some great coaches to build a fantastic coaching staff. I think that includes getting the Sedins in more. Our coaching staff has gone from one of the worst in the league (WD, Green, even BB to a degree) to arguably the best (Tocchett, Foote, Gonchar, the Sedins, Clarke). That's where the GM looks really good.

You can make all sorts of acquisitions and trades and they can look horrible but a good coaching staff makes everyone look good, especially the GM, just like a good goalie can make a coach look great.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Bingo. Friedman is everywhere and when you really listen to him, all he is doing is speculating, but a lot of people think he knows everything. Next time you listen to him, count all the times he says "I think". What makes his "I think" any more authoritative than what you or I think?

image.png.fe667835d0583466b9035d515f738963.png

Friedman along with the majority of pundits looking for news tidbits ... blind chicken ... something something... stopped clock ... right once ... something something

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

You know, I have to give one thing to @King Heffy. He said he wasn't going to support JR and PA before this season began and he still manages to emote "sad" despite all of the success we're having. He does stick to his guns no matter how outmatched he is at this point.

Or how wrong he is…..

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Water is wet and the sky is blue.... After turning this team around and into a playoffs team, as well as making just about every single player better, its hardly rocket science Tocchet will be offered an extension... and rightfully so.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I think this is great news. He has done great job. 

I worry that everything we see is that we are all in, every pic and prospect potentially available as running for the cup because of half a great season.  Especially after 2 previous seasons where we were very good for half a season, just the back half. 

This is a first step in the process of a great team. If we can find deals like Hronek I am ecstatic with that.  First should be available for a young cost controlled player that compliments the group.   

I love the games of both Tanev’s, I wish that Benning never let Chris walk and he retired with us. It would be nuts to trade a first rounder or significant prospect for a 34 year old soon to be UFA Chris Tanev because we have had half a great year.  Most of a season of Zad was a 3rd and 5th, yeah cap math worked easier but still. 

I really would prefer to have a bit more cost certainty around EP and Hronek before we go nuts on something we may or may not be able to figure out cap wise like a Guentzel.

Great season so far. Would not mess with the third line.  Top 6 could probably use a tweak and a bit more size WITH mobility. Podz may come in for 4th line role in playoffs too. 

I would have preferred we kept Tanev and he retired a lifetime Canuck as well. 

That said, who knows if we have our current D core+Tanev had we held on to Tanev back then. 

Having the best of both worlds is still possible now though - hopefully we don’t pay too high a price. 

Allvin deserves the extension, and so will Tocchet.

Good that Allvin is maintaining the message that despite the success of the team to this point of the season, they still have a lot of work ahead of them to achieve something. Until they win the Stanley Cup, they can't be satisfied - they can be encouraged with their results to date, but not satisfied.

Also encouraged to hear Allvin mention that they are balancing long term considerations with short term ones. Hopefully this means that the team won't mortgage the future despite all the headlines of them going "All In" this season. Will be an intriguing trade deadline. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

@King Heffy I have asked you before if JR and Tocc can do anything to redeem themselves in your mind and you have said no. Is Allvin in the same boat because of the Boudreau handling even if it was Rutherford’s call and handling at the time?

Yes, that would be correct.  There's no evidence whatsoever that he was pushing back and telling Rutherford to shut up and stop disgracing the franchise.

• Cheers 1

Just here to eat some crow. I was not a fan of the new management group. The Boudreau situation left a bad taste in my mouth. But you gotta give Allvin credit for what he's done thus far. Lekkerimaki looks legit, Willander was at the top of my list, Zadarov trade, Soucy signing, Suter, Blueger, Lafferty etc, etc. Dude has done a great job overhauling the roster. The coaching staff fits the coaching. Unlike past teams that felt like the management had different plans than the coaches.

15 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Just here to eat some crow. I was not a fan of the new management group. The Boudreau situation left a bad taste in my mouth. But you gotta give Allvin credit for what he's done thus far. Lekkerimaki looks legit, Willander was at the top of my list, Zadarov trade, Soucy signing, Suter, Blueger, Lafferty etc, etc. Dude has done a great job overhauling the roster. The coaching staff fits the coaching. Unlike past teams that felt like the management had different plans than the coaches.

I wasn’t a poster at the time of the old forum so I didn’t comment on the Boudreau handling. But I was also unhappy with how it was handled. That said, I also see how it could have been done a bit more quietly if not for media stirring it up. It wouldn’t change earlier comments that publicly questioned our coaching and systems though.

With all that said, I am buying into what this management and coaching staff is selling. The vision seems to be the most cohesive it’s been from top to bottom in a long time. We’ve reaped the rewards so far!