Canada’s fertility rate has hit its lowest level in recorded history

Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I was looking at leaving Canada altogether for retirement. The place I was looking at has gone to hell though. Still leaning that way but need to research again. 

Costa Rica?

Seems it's getting expensive there too.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Costa Rica?

Seems it's getting expensive there too.

No Ecuador. Costa Rica has been expensive compared to the rest of area for decades. Ecuador is a gang infested hellhole now. The place has gone right to shit since covid. I was looking at beach front condos less than 3 years old for 90-100k US. I know people who did retire there. They left. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could moving to a different province or cheaper smaller/remote areas guarantee job opportunities and pay? In particular jobs you may have already invested years worth of schooling for?

Bigger cities afford much more job opportunities. 

This is definitely true for my career, though the rise of remote work I think will mitiate this to some degree, if your career allows for remote work. The possibility of working for a downtown Vancouver company while living in Grande Prarie is real now, though a lot of companies are still wary of remote work, especially 100% remote.

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I lived at home until I was 25. A lot of people my age stayed home simply because it was more affordable.

I wish I had taken a trade at 18, then I could have saved money for 3-4 years for a place townhouse that I probably could have afforded at the time.

Fast forward my nieces didn't move out until about the same age and there was way less stigma with that.

My nephews. The oldest is a bit of a gypsy he gets decent jobs and moves around and travels. Maybe he will settle down more when he hits 40.

The youngest is in his early 30's and he still lives with my Brother, and is learning to take over my brother's business before he retires. (If he retires, he loves his work.)

My nieces have two kids each. My nephews have no kids.

Yeah, I stayed at home until 25 and had about 1.5 years of full-time earnings under my belt before I left the nest. One of the best decisions I ever made and partly as a result of that, I've been lucky enough never to worry about my financial situation thanks to the savings I accumulated then. Of course, these days, that's not usually enough for a home, but it at least gave me security for the times I did go without a job, knowing that I had savings to hold me over for a long while.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

People like to blame other things for their own issues, like government policy, or insufficient wages, or lack of affordable housing in the size or shape that we want.

At the end of the day though, we are responsible (individually and collectively) for the decisions we make and the consequences that follow.

So much this.

Too bad (specially in the political threads) so many seem to prefer playing the woe is me, everyone is against me or government interferes in my life or their a communist etc… the victim bullshit has to stop… man/women up pussies…

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

My wife and I have 2 kids. Moved from BC to Alberta years ago, which made it more financially doable (wasn’t the reason we moved, but became a benefit). It’s great, but we stopped at 2. They’re expensive, and we’re busy enough with just the 2 of them.

I think the main reason for the drop in birth rate isn’t less couples choosing to have kids, but rather families limiting how many they have. We have lots of friends with kids, and almost all of them just have 2, and only a few have 3. It’s increasingly rare to find a family with 4 or more.

I love the picture below always makes me laugh, it is a math exercise that my kids class did (we live in Langley...specially Townhouselandia)... could've also been a lesson in irony

20200312_181119.thumb.jpg.cc82bc885664795dd741e04dc1165761.jpg

But I'm the same, wife and I stopped at 2.  Time was probably the main reason, although financials were a consideration.  We live in a townhouse and would've felt pressure to move with a 3rd child to a bigger place.  That would've extended our mortgage significantly.  As is, we'll be paid off in less than 5 years, which is nice.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Could moving to a different province or cheaper smaller/remote areas guarantee job opportunities and pay? In particular jobs you may have already invested years worth of schooling for?

Bigger cities afford much more job opportunities. 

Not only that, if significant amounts of people moved to a different place, that place would cease to be affordable. Look at Kelowna, Victoria, etc...

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I kinda already have, moved from Nanaimo to Dawson Creek in June. I'm basically in Alberta at this point. The plan was always to go back, but plans can change. We won't be staying in Dawson though, my partner was born here and given she's fourth or fifth generation Dawson Creek she wants out. The problem with smaller towns/cities is that when your roots are that deep you've got family connections everywhere. 

She works for Service BC, which would make leaving the province trickier, but we could realistically move anywhere in BC that has a Service BC opening. I'll graduate in 2025 and there's seemingly no shortage of work for social workers, but it really depends on where the work is and what I do/don't want to do. 

I'm open to the idea of being a father but not entirely sold on it, my partner is uncertain too and that's the biggest factor tbh. I'd be lying if I said economic factors weren't a good reason not to, raising children was never cheap. 

A lot of folks have been trying this though, a couple friends of mine moved up to Dawson 5-6 years ago because houses in Nanaimo were selling before they could even physically look at them. They've got a young daughter now. Dawson itself seems to be a popular destination for immigrants, the population up here is much more diverse than Nanaimo was when considering population proportions imo. 

Housing costs are less up here, but one has gotta wonder how long that'll last as housing is a strong draw. Lot of folks have been doing precisely what you asked me it seems. 

Welcome to the north country good sir. I was born in Vancouver but moved up to Dawson Creek when I was 8 years old with my mother, we had family land there. Moved back down south to Victoria in my mid 20's, and then in my mid 30's decided to move north again. I'm just outside of Dawson now. I live in Sexsmith AB, nice lil farm town outside of Grande Prairie. 

The north is underrated imo. Although i'm blinded by love and bias for my home town Dawson Creek, my mother and father are still there plus tonnes of family members beyond that. Affordable housing and good jobs. Nice combo. 

Whitehorse is a VERY cool town, lots of good places to eat. It's a very artsy vibe there, something I didn't expect when I went. I would move there in a heart beat if the housing wasn't so expensive there. I spent 17 years working in the bush in Pink Mountain, which is about 8 hours from the Yukon territory. It's all beautiful county past Fort St John, not much population, lots of wild life, beautiful mountains. 

Anyways, nothing to do with your fertility post. Just wanted to welcome you to the north.

But to at least speak on your point, since moving back from the island a few years ago I forgot how much of the northern communities are still very much, graduate, find a job and a wife, and have kids. Lots of my family members in Dawson did just that. It's very traditional in that sense. I think having access to good jobs has made it possible for all of them to pursue that dream.

Whereas living in Victoria for 10 years it was very much the opposite, wait until you're mid 30's, finally save up enough to buy yourself a decent place, then maybe think about having kids if you could afford it.

Two very different scenarios, both are tied to money and how much you make.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

My toddler has so far:

Thrown my car keys into my beer

Peed in mouth

Ordered 3 on demand movies trying to get Cocomelon on the TV

Broke my reading glasses twice

Pulled down his pants and ran down the isle during Mass

Hit poor Fin while taking a picture with him

But I love him!

Second from the bottom made my day 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Not necessarily, multigenerational families will become more of a norm going forward imo. 

Well, the norm going forward seems to be no kids.

You need room to have kids.  Not moving out is going to be a major barrier.  Even if they do decide to start having kids, what's the likelihood of a family like that having multiple kids?  

The birth population was around 2-3 kids per family for the Silent Generation.

It changed after the Great Generation came home from the war.  The vibe was positive

and people were happy to find normalcy again (and were as randy as anything).  Canada

was prosperous and the future looked terrific.  Peeps married early and started producing

kids at a rate that almost doubled the previous generation.

As a result, the Boomer gen produced at a high rate, simply due to their numbers, but

in reality, the birthrate was far less than their parents.  Due to the advance of the birth

control, Boomers tended to put off having a family, so they could focus on their education,

careers and/or working to buy a home.  Most of them had their children 8-10 years later than

the Greats', which is why their offspring are made up of younger GenX and older Millinials.

So basically, the birthrate hasn't dropped off as much as what one would think.  I'd venture

a guess that the Boomer birth rate fell back to a similar (individual) birthrate as their

grandparents, the 'Silent Generation'.

22 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

People like to blame other things for their own issues, like government policy, or insufficient wages, or lack of affordable housing in the size or shape that we want.

At the end of the day though, we are responsible (individually and collectively) for the decisions we make and the consequences that follow.

My wife and I made a conscious decision not to have kids - I mean, if fate should have it that our offspring should issue forth purely by chance, then so be it, but it's not something we're actively or intentionally pursuing.  She has her reasons, and mine are: why the fuck would I want to subject my offspring to this world of bullshittery and inequality and irresponsibility by those who should feel (and be) responsible?  I know that this will result in "consequences", such as nobody to "take care" of us in our elder years, but is that really a proper reason to have kids - to saddle them with having to wipe our shit and deal with the medical decisions for our failing bodies in our old age?  Fuck that.  Life is tough enough having to deal with your own shit, nobody likes to be saddled with other people's shit as well.

[/0.02]

You both state that:

1." People like to blame other things for their own issues, like government policy, or insufficient wages, or lack of affordable housing in the size or shape that we want."; and

2. We live in a "world of bullshittery and inequality and irresponsibility by those who should feel (and be) responsible?"

Doesn't make sense. You're simultaneously calling people out for criticizing the bad conditions the world is in, while also calling out those conditions yourself. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

My toddler has so far:

Thrown my car keys into my beer

Peed in mouth

Ordered 3 on demand movies trying to get Cocomelon on the TV

Broke my reading glasses twice

Pulled down his pants and ran down the isle during Mass

Hit poor Fin while taking a picture with him

But I love him!

I'm pretty pissed at my toddler. She decided that 2:30-5:30 AM was the best time to wake up and have a little party last night. I woke her up at 8:30 to go to daycare and she was peacefully having her beauty rest. 

• Huggy Bear 1

• 3 months later...

:classic_blink:

Microplastics found in every human testicle in study

Scientists say discovery may be linked to decades-long decline in sperm counts in men around the world

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/20/microplastics-human-testicles-study-sperm-counts?utm_term=664f22e16d96c0da81548c39f95cb09e&utm_campaign=DownToEarth&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=greenlight_email

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

:classic_blink:

Microplastics found in every human testicle in study

Scientists say discovery may be linked to decades-long decline in sperm counts in men around the world

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/may/20/microplastics-human-testicles-study-sperm-counts?utm_term=664f22e16d96c0da81548c39f95cb09e&utm_campaign=DownToEarth&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=greenlight_email

freeze 'em while you got 'em