Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

Jess

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Lindholm has been massively under-rated for a long time, dropped a 40G, PPG season playing with super-stars on his wing but apart from that has been a consistent 25-27G, 60-70P good two-way center who can kill penalties and play the wing. That's a prototypical Tocchet/JR/PA-type player really. Now ironically he's been massively over-rated. We certainly over-paid to get him because we wanted him over everyone else, he ticks all our boxes and we get him earlier than the TDL. We probably ended up over-paying by a 4th + Jurmo to be honest. He's probably just worth Kuzmenko + 1st + Hunter. I'll take the over-payment to get him in early but if we let him walk without re-signing him that is a joke of a haul for a 50-60 game rental.

He's had a dreadful year with Calgary, 1 goal in 20-something games is pretty laughable. It's hard to say if that's a product of his bad team or vice-versa but playing in a Bo/Kesler-like 2nd line role will suit him very well, especially if he's going to get time playing with Petey which might unlock that Gaudreau-era Lindholm which would be massive for us.

Overpayment and over-rated right now but he could be huge for us regardless. We cannot give up that much of a haul and let Lindholm walk to some random team for 7-8M though, that'll be embarassing on PA's behalf. There was a silly stat flying around that since coming into the league, Kuzmenko and Lindholm have basically scored the same amount of goals and points too.

Right now Calgary has won the trade but we have a chance to win it if Lindholm gets back to his older ways (even 25G 60P point pace) and of course re-sign him.

If we win the cup or go to the finals, who really cares?

It's not as if we don't have any prospects now...

If JR/PA thinks we will better suited for play offs by getting Lindholm onboard, I'm good with that...

• Vintage 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:30 AM, 88Canuck said:

So we’re working in absolutes & crystal balls now I see. How about seeing how it plays out? I miss the old days when people just sat back, enjoyed & played wait & see. 

When was that?!

Are we talking pre-82 cup run or something?

I've never witnessed that in real life in the internet era

So they have him starting on Petey's wing and on PP1.  

Wonder if we see the other extreme at some point and they reallly spread it out.  

Pdg Miller Boeser

Suter Petey Mik

Lafferty Lindholm Hogs

Joshua Bleugar Garland

I dont think anyone else has THAT kind of depth.  

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

So they have him starting on Petey's wing and on PP1.  

Wonder if we see the other extreme at some point and they reallly spread it out.  

Pdg Miller Boeser

Suter Petey Mik

Lafferty Lindholm Hogs

Joshua Bleugar Garland

I dont think anyone else has THAT kind of depth.  

That's essentially three top line centers on their own lines. A bit like Edmonton last year with essentially three 100pt centers on the same team. Problem is, Petey has looked pretty average this year centering his own line with plugs on either side. Lindholm has basically done that in Calgary and hasn't looked too good. I think to start we'll try and split them (Petey/Lindholm and Miller/Boeser) but Tocchet has so many lineup combination possibilities that we could try all-sorts. I wouldn't be against trying Boeser with Lindholm either, Lindholm freeing up space could really help Brock out. Makes sense though NHL24 style to play a playmaker with skill (Boeser/Petey) with a grinding two-way center (Miller/Lindholm).

1 hour ago, Left Wing Nut said:

I liked the trade before. I still like the trade, but now my concern is how do we keep him and Hronek. Is that even possible?

It will cost Mikheyev, Dakota, Beluger, Lafferty. But we should be able to keep Lindy and Hronek. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Hammertime said:

It will cost Mikheyev, Dakota, Beluger, Lafferty. But we should be able to keep Lindy and Hronek. 

Even if this proved to be the case (meaning I don't think this is necessarily the case), that's when we start to look at players such as Podz and Bains. There has to at least be someone in the pool willing to step up.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Even if this proved to be the case (meaning I don't think this is necessarily the case), that's when we start to look at players such as Podz and Bains. There has to at least be someone in the pool willing to step up.

Definitely. I think Pods and Bains both have a very real shot at being NHL-ready next year and I expect them to both attempt to fill in gaps left by bottom six guys leaving.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Very impressed with how smart Lindholm is on the ice. A friend of mine is an avid Flames fan, and has continually said we're getting a Bergeron lite. Saw it many times last night where Lindholm would take that extra moment to make the right play and had some really good reads in the defensive zone.

Was also great to see that he'll be able to help Pettersson on the cycle and is able to get open to retrieve the puck. Plus he apparently has a great shot as well, which will bode well for when Pettersson finds him in those opens spaces. Let's hope we can lock Lindholm in for a few more years on a reasonable AAV now!

• Like 1

I forget who, nor do I really want to specifically call anyone out on it, but I remember a conversation from a couple of weeks ago before the trade where someone was worrying getting Lindholm would be like getting Loui Eriksson. I'm glad it's proving to be anything but and hope that whomever was worried is now less worried.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ngoway said:

Very impressed with how smart Lindholm is on the ice. A friend of mine is an avid Flames fan, and has continually said we're getting a Bergeron lite. Saw it many times last night where Lindholm would take that extra moment to make the right play and had some really good reads in the defensive zone.

Was also great to see that he'll be able to help Pettersson on the cycle and is able to get open to retrieve the puck. Plus he apparently has a great shot as well, which will bode well for when Pettersson finds him in those opens spaces. Let's hope we can lock Lindholm in for a few more years on a reasonable AAV now!

Yep was really impressed with him watching the Canucks and Islanders games in Calgary he had 4 points in the 2 games I was at, stood out defensively a lot too. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yep was really impressed with him watching the Canucks and Islanders games in Calgary he had 4 points in the 2 games I was at, stood out defensively a lot too. 

Very sound defensively and has very good overall awareness. Now I know why my friend who's an avid Flames fan was so sad to see him go. Lindolm is the type of player that really rounds out a roster given his ability to play at both ends of the rink.

Plus the fact that Tocchet and co trusted him with the most ice time amongst forwards on his first game says a lot too 💯

• Cheers 1

So I wasn't this trade's biggest fan but it's hard to argue with what Lindholm did last night. 

For all the old-timers out there, I'm getting a Butch Goring vibe out of this trade.  Goring's best years statistically were with LA before they traded him to the Islanders.  But when he got there, he made the core of that team so much solider and they went on to become a dynasty.  I'm not saying (yet anyway) that's what we'll become but it feels like this is another stage of things coming together for the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

I'm pretty sure other people are saying the same thing, but if Lindholm can keep tipping Hughes' pucks into the net like he did last night, that's yet another tool to drive opponents crazy.

Imagine a Hughes where he doesn't even need to slapshot directly at the net so long as Lindholm's in front to tip the puck the right direction. That has to be the scariest thing ever if you're a goalie.

13 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So I wasn't this trade's biggest fan but it's hard to argue with what Lindholm did last night. 

For all the old-timers out there, I'm getting a Butch Goring vibe out of this trade.  Goring's best years statistically were with LA before they traded him to the Islanders.  But when he got there, he made the core of that team so much solider and they went on to become a dynasty.  I'm not saying (yet anyway) that's what we'll become but it feels like this is another stage of things coming together for the Canucks. 

Goring and his helmut. 

Lindholm, Hronek, Zad, Joshua are UFA's along with a few others. EP40 has to resign. I will be curious to see whether playing on a CUP contender for the foreseeable future tempers their salary demands. My hope is that PA lays it on the line as a % of CAP and slots accordingly. Not knowing what the CAP will be in the future brings a lot of uncertainty.   

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Goring and his helmut. 

Lindholm, Hronek, Zad, Joshua are UFA's along with a few others. EP40 has to resign. I will be curious to see whether playing on a CUP contender for the foreseeable future tempers their salary demands. My hope is that PA lays it on the line as a % of CAP and slots accordingly. Not knowing what the CAP will be in the future brings a lot of uncertainty.   

Hronek is still young and an RFA.