Elias Lindholm | #23 | C/W

Jess

Lindholm had a brutal game yesterday. There was a gaffe in the defensive zone when the game was still 2-0.

So he's not generating offense and now his defensive mistake was on display. It really looks like he's really losing confidence. Maybe I've been critical before, but I've already said whatever I needed to say before about Lindholm. Now I will shift my approach and really hope he turns it around. The trade was already done, so no use crying over spilled milk. I hope he has some monster games ahead.

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Lindholm had a brutal game yesterday. There was a gaffe in the defensive zone when the game was still 2-0.

So he's not generating offense and now his defensive mistake was on display. It really looks like he's really losing confidence. Maybe I've been critical before, but I've already said whatever I needed to say before about Lindholm. Now I will shift my approach and really hope he turns it around. The trade was already done, so no use crying over spilled milk. I hope he has some monster games ahead.

If he wants to stay in Vancouver on a new contract , he is going to have to have a much better end to the season and playoffs than he has shown so far. Rather than lose him for nothing to UFA, they may re-sign him and then trade him and at least recoup some of what they paid to get him.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he wants to stay in Vancouver on a new contract , he is going to have to have a much better end to the season and playoffs than he has shown so far. Rather than lose him for nothing to UFA, they may re-sign him and then trade him and at least recoup some of what they paid to get him.

Not sure re-signing him and immediately trading him is a good look, unless it's just a regular sign and trade deal, but those are usually done to get 8-year deals and not much else.

Unless he suddenly turns it around in these last few games or during the playoffs, I see our best case as a trade of his rights at the draft for a 5th or 6th rounder. I'd love to sign him long term to like $3.5M, but that's obviously unrealistic. A one year deal for $5.5M or something might be okay, but thus far, he hasn't earned even that. 

The most likely outcome at this point I think is that he just leaves as a FA and, assuming we don't have big playoff success, the trade was a bust. Sucks, but you move on and keep doing your best if you're PA.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure re-signing him and immediately trading him is a good look, unless it's just a regular sign and trade deal, but those are usually done to get 8-year deals and not much else.

Unless he suddenly turns it around in these last few games or during the playoffs, I see our best case as a trade of his rights at the draft for a 5th or 6th rounder. I'd love to sign him long term to like $3.5M, but that's obviously unrealistic. A one year deal for $5.5M or something might be okay, but thus far, he hasn't earned even that. 

The most likely outcome at this point I think is that he just leaves as a FA and, assuming we don't have big playoff success, the trade was a bust. Sucks, but you move on and keep doing your best if you're PA.

I wouldn't sign him for more than 5M at this point, he's been so dreadful and could easily be the same/worse next year. We wouldn't want a 5-6M 30 point center. How he's a -7 on one of the best +/- teams in the league now is beyond me.

I'd almost just rather we let him go and use that cap space to sign a solid defenceman. There's loads out there. In a way then the Calgary trade was essentially a very expensive cap dump.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

He's definitely fell very short of expectations so far. However, it's not like kuzy was doing anything for us so the faceoff wins alone are a positive. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Once Joshua gets back, having Lindholm form a defensive based line with Mikheyev and Podkolzin could be his best usage for the team. This would allow the lotto line, the no name line, and the Hog, Suter, Lafferty (or whoever) line combinations that seemed to be so effective in the earlier parts of the season to be restored.

11 minutes ago, Denman Dragon said:

Once Joshua gets back, having Lindholm form a defensive based line with Mikheyev and Podkolzin could be his best usage for the team. This would allow the lotto line, the no name line, and the Hog, Suter, Lafferty (or whoever) line combinations that seemed to be so effective in the earlier parts of the season to be restored.

I do imagine that his value in the playoffs will be most felt as a shutdown centre moreso than a scoring forward. He could be key to shutting down guys like Kaprizov or McDavid in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I do imagine that his value in the playoffs will be most felt as a shutdown centre moreso than a scoring forward. He could be key to shutting down guys like Kaprizov or McDavid in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

How 'bout Eichel?

8 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

How 'bout Eichel?

Possibly that too, haha, though Eichel himself might be used to shut down Petey. Like the Canucks, Vegas has a lot of offensive stars that double as defensive stalwarts.

12 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

He's definitely fell very short of expectations so far. However, it's not like kuzy was doing anything for us so the faceoff wins alone are a positive. 

And Lindholm’s cap hit is gone after this season. Cruise Missile still has 5.5 for next year. That’s at least a first and way better prospect than Bustowitz to dumperoo in the summer. 

Hopefully the Lindholm trade pays off in playoffs.  I can't see us resigning him.  Think we need to concentrate on signing our top priorities then add from the bargain bin or from prospects.  We have the prospects to move up now so not worried.  Hopefully we can save some cap room and add at the deadline and make another run next year.  

• ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Hopefully the Lindholm trade pays off in playoffs.  I can't see us resigning him.  Think we need to concentrate on signing our top priorities then add from the bargain bin or from prospects.  We have the prospects to move up now so not worried.  Hopefully we can save some cap room and add at the deadline and make another run next year.  

In tight playoff games, where a D zone face off is key we have both lindholm and Miller to put out there. That’s huge. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

In tight playoff games, where a D zone face off is key we have both lindholm and Miller to put out there. That’s huge. 

I really don't understand why they haven't tried to work with Boeser, who is already decent on the dot and has elite hand/eye.  Then you have Boeser out there with Miller or Petey to do just that.  

On 3/21/2024 at 7:37 AM, kettlevalley said:

We have to consider the fact that Lindholm wasn't here not even 2 months ago and sometimes we see players take a while to get used to a new system. That was literally one of the stated reasons for doing this trade earlier.

I say if he improves throughout the end of the season and into the playoffs, then I can see a scenario where we do sign him. The main thing's going to really depend on what he's going to demand along with what other players are going to demand monetarily. Of course, the biggest potential risk would be another Loui Eriksson contract; however, Eriksson was a FA signing meaning we had no way of seeing how well of poorly he'd play for us.

Edited by The Lock

38 minutes ago, The Lock said:

We have to consider the fact that Lindholm wasn't here not even 2 months ago and sometimes we see players take a while to get used to a new system. That was literally one of the stated reasons for doing this trade earlier.

I say if he improves throughout the end of the season and into the playoffs, then I can see a scenario where we do sign him. The main thing's going to really depend on what he's going to demand along with what other players are going to demand monetarily. Of course, the biggest potential risk would be another Loui Eriksson contract; however, Eriksson was a FA signing meaning we had no way of seeing how well of poorly he'd play for us.

I said I don't see resigning him as we can't afford to for two reasons.  

1.  Cap

2.  Chance of losing prospects by not promoting.  We have several players we will lose if we send them to Abby in the fall.  

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

I said I don't see resigning him as we can't afford to for two reasons.  

1.  Cap

2.  Chance of losing prospects by not promoting.  We have several players we will lose if we send them to Abby in the fall.  

Well, like I said before:

1. Cap = we will see. Depends on who we sign, who we don't sign, how much players demand, etc.

As far as 2 goes, provided we don't sign a couple of players with point 1 (ie. might be Lindholm, might be someone else), I don't really see this being an issue. I get the paranoia though given what we've seen throughout the league as of late with players such as Jiricek.

I've of the mindset where I don't think anything is set in stone until it's done. What if Hronek's asking for too much and we have to ship him off? What if Myers is completely gone and changes teams? What if the same happens to Zadorov or other players? Obviously, we can debate the likelihood or unlikelihood of these things happening, but ultimately the point is... we don't know yet.

Edited by The Lock

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, like I said before:

1. Cap = we will see. Depends on who we sign, who we don't sign, how much players demand, etc.

As far as 2 goes, provided we don't sign a couple of players with point 1 (ie. might be Lindholm, might be someone else), I don't really see this being an issue. I get the paranoia though given what we've seen throughout the league as of late with players such as Jiricek.

I've of the mindset where I don't think anything is set in stone until it's done. What if Hronek's asking for too much and we have to ship him off? What if Myers is completely gone and changes teams? What if the same happens to Zadorov or other players? Obviously, we can debate the likelihood or unlikelihood of these things happening, but ultimately the point is... we don't know yet.

So you think defence money get spent on an overpriced 3C when they want to resign Bluegar, have Suter signed, have Mr. Four Point waiting in the wings and have Aman without a waiver exemption next year?  

2 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

So you think defence money get spent on an overpriced 3C when they want to resign Bluegar, have Suter signed, have Mr. Four Point waiting in the wings and have Aman without a waiver exemption next year?  

I actually question if we have Blueger and Lafferty next year to be honest. I think it's more likely Lindholm staying.

It would also mean those prospects who need a spot you mentioned get a spot.

Edited by The Lock

23 hours ago, The Lock said:

I actually question if we have Blueger and Lafferty next year to be honest. I think it's more likely Lindholm staying.

It would also mean those prospects who need a spot you mentioned get a spot.

Problem with that is what Lindstrom will get on the open market.  Something in the Miller/Horvat range and we cannot afford that and build a team that is balanced.  

16 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Problem with that is what Lindstrom will get on the open market.  Something in the Miller/Horvat range and we cannot afford that and build a team that is balanced.  

I highly doubt he can get over $8M with how he's played over the past two years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I highly doubt he can get over $8M with how he's played over the past two years.

If he signs a 1-2 year show-me deal, I hope it is with us. A 1-2-3 punch of Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm down the middle is a luxury. I believe a healthy Lindholm and Demko in the line-up last night, we would've won.

20 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

If he signs a 1-2 year show-me deal, I hope it is with us. A 1-2-3 punch of Miller-Pettersson-Lindholm down the middle is a luxury. I believe a healthy Lindholm and Demko in the line-up last night, we would've won.

He hasn't shown much in either Calgary and Vancouver this year, granted that he may have been injured this whole time.

44 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Lindholm hasn't done much to warrant the 8M. He'd be lucky to get something in the 6 range - and that's already inflated. Horvat/Miller both earned their contracts pretty well.

1 minute ago, PureQuickness said:

He hasn't shown much in either Calgary and Vancouver this year, granted that he may have been injured this whole time.

Which is why I want him sign to a 5-6 million deal for 1-2 years. It may be a bargain. Horvat's number struggled after he got traded to the Islanders, and look at him now. We might be able to get a good player at bargain deal if we can re-sign him. Realistically, I see someone else willing to gamble and give him more money or term. A team like the Bruins would be all over him, they want a top 6 centre since they have been without Bergeron and Krejci.

28 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Which is why I want him sign to a 5-6 million deal for 1-2 years. It may be a bargain. Horvat's number struggled after he got traded to the Islanders, and look at him now. We might be able to get a good player at bargain deal if we can re-sign him. Realistically, I see someone else willing to gamble and give him more money or term. A team like the Bruins would be all over him, they want a top 6 centre since they have been without Bergeron and Krejci.

That's an overpayment. His numbers are trending downward, which should ring alarm bells and he's producing slightly better than Loui Eriksson did when he was around. While Horvat did struggle, even he produced better numbers than this guy.

Edited by PureQuickness