(Discussion) Elias Lindholm Extension

12 minutes ago, RockemSockem said:

Since we’ve just acquired Elias, in my opinion Allvin will want to extend him and I also think Lindholm will return to form with us.

What woukd a possible extension look like?

6-7 years @ 7-7.5?

Extend Lindholm in the unlikely event that negotiations with Pettersson go south.  

Outside of that however, I’m not sure if the Canucks will be able to extend Lindholm given our cap constraints.  

Lindholm just may very well be our 2020 Toffoli (ie this was around the time when Thomas Drance was inhaling the sphincter of Judd Bracket).

• Upvote 1

I think they'll take a wait-and-see approach, given the vast number of pending UFAs and RFAs we have to deal with. However, I imagine the market for him will be between $6.5M and $7.5M on a long term deal.

Extension will completely depend on how he plays.  He obviously won't be in any rush.  The dilemma here is if he plays super well or super poorly.  Either he will want a big payday if he plays super well, or he plays super poorly and we just let him walk.

The starting price is going to be $6.5M minimum.  Anything less is crazy talk.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Didn’t Calgary offer him 8.5 by 8 years and he turned it down? Maybe he takes less here because of the chance to win. Lock him in for 7x7!

Yeah I think they did and he bet on himself.  Lucky for us Calgary isn’t a very good team!

Guys, I'm seriously concerned about his metrics. For those who haven't read this article:
https://canucksarmy.com/news/why-vancouver-canucks-should-not-trade-flames-elias-lindholm

That isn't a trend I'm interested in extending for right now. As mentioned, it's insurance as a 1c if talks with Petey can't come to fruition as well - but no need to rush it. Play it out, give him another taste of being on a good, contending team and if the stars align and the cap gods allow, perhaps an extension will be in order after the cup is hoisted. 

😉

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Guys, I'm seriously concerned about his metrics. For those who haven't read this article:
https://canucksarmy.com/news/why-vancouver-canucks-should-not-trade-flames-elias-lindholm

That isn't a trend I'm interested in extending for right now. As mentioned, it's insurance as a 1c if talks with Petey can't come to fruition as well - but no need to rush it. Play it out, give him another taste of being on a good, contending team and if the stars align and the cap gods allow, perhaps an extension will be in order after the cup is hoisted. 

😉

Ideally, Lindholm is not a LE - a guy who had a solid career before joining the Canucks.

My guess is life in CGY was getting stale. Both of Lindholm's linemates from his best season also left. It sounds like a lot of the team was disenchanted after last season, even after Sutter was canned. This season, a lot of their top players struggled to start the year, and like 90% of their D core are UFAs. They even recently lost a relatively decent prospect on waivers. It just feels like the team doesn't have much direction, notwithstanding an admirable effort to at least get back into an OK position for the playoff race.

I'm not holding my breath for Lindholm to light the world on fire offensively, but he should at least help the team have another solid line that they can roll out and could pair well with EP (with Mikheyev as the speedy forechecker). Coming to a very competitive team (and one with a lot of Swedish connections!) might help Lindholm regain passion for the game.

12 minutes ago, RockemSockem said:

Yeah I really think it was playing in Calgary.  Time will tell but I can really see him fitting in well here.

I haven't seen line up speculation yet.  Let's try

Suter Miller Boeser

Pettersson Lindholm Mikheyev

I mean, give Lindy a really good winger and what happens?  I bet there's a production bump.  I also bet there's a PK bump as well

Just now, Crabcakes said:

I haven't seen line up speculation yet.  Let's try

Suter Miller Boeser

Pettersson Lindholm Mikheyev

I mean, give Lindy a really good winger and what happens?  I bet there's a production bump.  I also bet there's a PK bump as well

Agreed, I think just playing with Pettersson will bring him back to top 6 form.

Top 6 next season after we win the cup.  Trade Mikheyev in the offseason.

Joshua           Miller       Boeser

Pettersson  Lindholm  Hoglander

I'm off topic above but as far a re-signing Lindholm, he's a support player, not core so let's not get confused.  Petey has to go first.  That much is clear.  Next would be Hronek (but he's RFA), then Lindholm?  But we have to give him a chance to show us something.

But all dominoes fall after Petey signs

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I'm off topic above but as far a re-signing Lindholm, he's a support player, not core so let's not get confused.  Petey has to go first.  That much is clear.  Next would be Hronek (but he's RFA), then Lindholm?  But we have to give him a chance to show us something.

100%

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Definitely.  EP40, Hronek, then after that sign or replace Cole/ Lindholm/ DeSmith, etc. and let Myers walk.  
The hierarchy is clear, and they need to prioritize the core while filling the fringes with cheap players like other contenders do.

• Like 1

Dare I say we break up our 3rd line and promote Joshua?

Joshua Lindholm Pettersson

Suter Miller Boeser

Hoglander Blueger Garland

Bains or TDL p/u Aman Lafferty 

Joshua is the forechecker/protector for the Swedes.

One more trade with Calgary anyone…

Canucks get Tanev

Flames get Mikheyev and Linus Karlsson

So - how do we arrange our top 6 now that Lindholm is here?

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Lindholm-Mikheyev

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Lindholm

etc.

Personally?  I go with the Lotto Line + make the Lindholm/Suter/Mikheyev line a shut down line.

Jeremy’s “win now and build for the future plan,” (I probably wouldn’t do the following but it has crossed my mind).

1) Trade for Rasmus Andersson (Myers + Willander).

2) Win 2024 Stanley Cup 🏆 

3) Extend Lindholm in the off season

4) Trade Pettersson for a boatload of picks and prospects so that we avoid a $10.5+ million dollar contract.

We make a massive push to win the cup this year but we also keep filling the pipeline.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

From what I can see, it looks like we will have about 38 mil next year in space, plus 2.5 mil LTIR from Poolman.  

If EP wants to win, as he says.

EP 11.5 X 8

EL 8.5 X 8

FH 7.5 X 7

NZ 4.75 X 4

TB 2.5 X 3

This puts us at 34.75 with 3.25 plus 2.5 LTIR remaining.  We have Podz, Raty, Bains, and Karlsson looking to take a step next year to fill in some of those forward roles.  The following year we might have Lekkerimaki, Willander, DPetey available as well as about $4-6 mil more in cap space.  It all looks doable to me now that Kuz and Beauvillier's salaries are gone and the cap is finally going up.

In Alvin I trust.