European Football thread

the destroyer of worlds

On 12/23/2023 at 10:25 AM, the destroyer of worlds said:

Appears to be a frustrating match for Villa supporters.  Blown chance to go top of the table with the other 2 teams at the top, Arsenal v Liverpool, playing each other tomorrow.

Dropped points vs relegation bound Sheffield United.

So frustrating.

Beat teams like city and the gunners, and then draw with teams like United and the bottom placed team in our Europa league group.

Sigh...... 

2 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

How on earth did they lose that game???

image.png.e43d5cebfce5df65beba4c1bfb9653c6.png

I think it's one of those games that having a player like Haaland would have converted some of those chances.  I'm thinking Arsenal may be looking for someone when the window opens.

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I think it's one of those games that having a player like Haaland would have converted some of those chances.  I'm thinking Arsenal may be looking for someone when the window opens.

Either that or hope that Jesus and Martinelli get back in form. 

Last season Jesus scored 0.4 goals per game.  So far this year, it's 0.2.

Martinelli also scored 0.4 goals per game last season.  This season it's 0.1 (!).

• Cheers 1

On 12/31/2023 at 4:08 PM, runningback33 said:

Disappointing Arsenal loss today

Absolutely!  At least they looked good against West Ham (and deserved to win, IMO).

In this game?  No way.  As the commentators mentioned, the team looked lethargic.  

It's still too early to talk about must win games but this upcoming game against Crystal Palace is important.

• Thanks 1

Liverpool 2 Arsenal 0

Arsenal loses another game where I thought they were the better team on the day.

Thought Havertz had a prominent game.  Too bad he couldn't finish some of his chances.

Hardly noticed Kiwior on the field until he scored the own goal.

BTW:  whose idea was it to put white numbers on white uniforms?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It's not European soccer but there are two big regional tournaments starting in the next few days (both of which were scheduled for 2023 but had to be postponed for weather related reasons).

The Africa Cup of Nations is on from January 13 to February 11th.  The games are on FUBO.

https://www.cafonline.com/caf-africa-cup-of-nations/

The AFC Asian Cup is on from January 12 to February 10th.  As far as I can tell, the games can be viewed in Canada on Paramount+

https://www.the-afc.com/en/national/afc_asian_cup/fixtures__standings.html

Edited by UnkNuk
  • Cheers 1

Arsenal 5 Crystal Palace 0

A much needed win.  Totally dominated the opposition, such as it was.

One nitpick:  Once again I thought Saka was more or less unnoticeable.  Arsenal needs him to be much more prominent.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Jurgen Klopp stepping down at the end of the season; would have to imagine this opens the door for Xabi Alonso, but if not him, I could see Arne Slot, Marco Rose, Julian Nagelsmann, or Ruben Amorim in the mix to replace him.

6 hours ago, SV. said:

Jurgen Klopp stepping down at the end of the season; would have to imagine this opens the door for Xabi Alonso, but if not him, I could see Arne Slot, Marco Rose, Julian Nagelsmann, or Ruben Amorim in the mix to replace him.

I think Xabi will have some suitors.  Especially if he gets Leverkusen over the line.

FA Cup weekend.  The big news is 6th tier Maidstone makes it to the round of 16.  Ipswich has been in 2nd place in the Championship for some time.  Could be promoted to the Prem or at least be in the playoffs for the 3rd promotion spot.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/eng_fa_cup/article/fa-cup-maidstone-stuns-ipswich-to-become-lowest-ranked-team-since-1978-to-reach-fifth-round/

FA Cup Roundup: Maidstone stuns Ipswich to become lowest-ranked team since 1978 to reach fifth round

The first half of the Arsenal game was a snoozer.  Forest kept their entire team back.  While Arsenal had almost all the possession they couldn't break through the defense.

The second half was better as Forest tried to mount some offence.  Which allowed Arsenal to jump into a two goal lead.   Forest scored one late in the game which lent an edge to extra time but Arsenal held on.

• Thanks 1