European Football thread

the destroyer of worlds

And, unfortunately, Man City won - clobbering Fulham 4-0.

So with two games left to play, City leads Arsenal by two points.  Even Arsenal's large goal difference has diminished - City is +58, Arsenal is +60.

City plays Tottenham on the 14th and West Ham on the 19th.

Arsenal plays Man United tomorrow and Everton on the 19th.

• Cheers 1

Premier League Player of the Year nominees: Arsenal pair included but Bukayo Saka misses out

Eight nominees have been announced for the Premier League 's Player of the Season award.

Arsenal and Manchester City each have two candidates in the form of Martin Odegaard, Declan Rice, Phil Foden and Erling Haaland. The remaining nominees are Alexander Isak, Cole Palmer, Virgil van Dijk and Ollie Watkins.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-premierleague-player-year-nominees-32769764?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mirror+-+Arsenal+FC+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Leverkusen has one more League match next Saturday against mid-table Augsburg to go invincible.  Then they have their Cup and Europa League Finals to complete a treble.  

I don't follow the Bundesliga so I didn't realize that Leverkusen haven't yet lost a game this season.  Impressive!  And, after some googling, it appears they've set the European record for unbeaten consecutive games.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/bayer-leverkusen-record-unbeaten-run-xabi-alonso-26289

Not clear from my googling:   has any Bundesliga team ever gone undefeated through a whole season? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't follow the Bundesliga so I didn't realize that Leverkusen haven't yet lost a game this season.  Impressive!  And, after some googling, it appears they've set the European record for unbeaten consecutive games.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/bayer-leverkusen-record-unbeaten-run-xabi-alonso-26289

Not clear from my googling:   has any Bundesliga team ever gone undefeated through a whole season? 

I don't think so.  In England's old 1st division and the Premier League only Preston way back in the day and Arsenal did it.  So it's pretty rare.  

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The final of the Championship playoffs is set.  Leeds with face Southampton on May 26th for a chance at millions and millions of Premier League riches.  A chance to join Leicester and Ipswich Town.

I see Southampton beat Leeds both times this season, 3-1 and 2-1.

• Cheers 2

Leverkusen invincible season.  They have the Pokal final and the Europa League Final for a treble.   Bayern finished 3rd.  

Germany gets 5 Champions league spots.  

Leverkusen, Stuttgart, Bayern, Leipzig, and Dortmund in 5th

Also, Union Berlin survives.  The surprise is Lil Heidenheim finished 8th.

• Thanks 2

Honestly, you lose one game in 2024 and it costs you the title.   :classic_sad:

Actually, as they mentioned on the telecast, the title was lost between Dec 23 and Dec 31.  Three games, a potential nine points, and Arsenal got one point.  The draw with Liverpool, in Liverpool, was understandable.  But to lose to West Ham and Fulham back-to-back -----   ARRGH!

Still and all, the team is going in the right direction.  It's just their misfortune to be a very good team at the same time as another team is a super-team.  Congrats to Man City.  Four titles in a row is remarkable.  

Now let's see what Arsenal does in the (too short) off-season.

team-logo-651-72x72.png?1659417052

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

I mean, they had so many changes, it was going to be difficult.   Chelsea finished 6th and look to have turned a corner. 

The real question is, who is going to do a better job?  

• Upvote 1

It appears that Man U will be looking for a new manager.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/24/manchester-united-decide-to-sack-erik-ten-hag-regardless-of-cup-final-outcome?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Manchester United decide to sack Erik ten Hag regardless of Cup final outcome

• Move is most significant made by Sir Jim Ratcliffe and his allies
  • United’s eighth-placed league finish their lowest since 1990
  • Cheers 1