European Football thread

the destroyer of worlds

On 6/6/2024 at 5:38 AM, UnkNuk said:

Ah, Manchester City - you loveable scamp.

As has been noted here, Manchester City is facing 115 charges by the Premier League of breaching the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules.

And now Manchester City is suing the Premier League.

(The article is from "The Athletic" so it may be behind a paywall.)

Man City are taking legal action against the Premier League – what does it all mean?

City have brought a separate legal case against the Premier League’s associated party transaction (APT) rules, which will begin on June 10. The implications, if City are successful, could reshape the division’s financial landscape.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5540792/2024/06/04/manchester-city-premier-league-legal-action/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=10047804&userId=11643094

Unfortunately football is corrupt. And the PL have shown they can't regulate themselves, since the regulators are so biased. Which other team, except Mancity has the PL spent 4 years investigating? That's why NHL format is better in one way, except that the salary cap isn't taking different income taxes into consideration. Football has the promotion and relegation drama that is superior in my opinion. No tankathon there...

16 hours ago, Bonkers said:

Unfortunately football is corrupt. And the PL have shown they can't regulate themselves, since the regulators are so biased. Which other team, except Mancity has the PL spent 4 years investigating?

Good question!

That's why NHL format is better in one way, except that the salary cap isn't taking different income taxes into consideration.

I think you'd have to have a European-wide (or, actually, world-wide) salary cap system in place.  Otherwise, players would simply leave the EPL for Spain or Italy or wherever.

Football has the promotion and relegation drama that is superior in my opinion. No tankathon there...

Absolutely!

Let's hope they're not needed.

Inside Euro 2024 security HQ as England fans descend amid fears of far-right attacks

Three hundred of Europe’s top cops are heading to a purpose-built centre in the nondescript city of Neuss to control the biggest security operation in the history of football.

The International Police Cooperation Centre will serve as the communication hub for security forces looking to keep more than 2.5 million fans and 24 teams safe between now and July 14.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-euro-2024-security-hq-32999527?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mirror+-+England+Euro+2020+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Let's hope they're not needed.

Inside Euro 2024 security HQ as England fans descend amid fears of far-right attacks

Three hundred of Europe’s top cops are heading to a purpose-built centre in the nondescript city of Neuss to control the biggest security operation in the history of football.

The International Police Cooperation Centre will serve as the communication hub for security forces looking to keep more than 2.5 million fans and 24 teams safe between now and July 14.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/inside-euro-2024-security-hq-32999527?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mirror+-+England+Euro+2020+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

Not long ago islamists killed 2 Swedish football fans in Belgium just for wearing our colors. It's that type of terrorism i fear. Regarding hooligans, everyone should look at what England has done to get rid of the problem. They simply prevent them from leaving the country.

6 hours ago, runningback33 said:

I am going for England in this Tournament

I have no strong preference in this tournament but I am hoping for some entertaining games.

But I'll keep an eye on England, not only because they're England but because I want to see this Jude Bellingham guy.  I had hardly heard of him until earlier this year when I found out he is, apparently, on his way to being one of the biggest stars in soccer.

And speaking of big stars, I'll pay attention to France to see Mbappe.

• Thanks 1

Brighton hires Texas-born Hurzeler as coach, youngest ever in Premier League

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/brighton-hires-texas-born-fabian-hurzeler-as-coach-youngest-ever-in-premier-league-1.2135013

Texas-born Fabian Hurzeler was appointed Brighton coach on Saturday and became the youngest manager in English Premier League history.

The 31-year-old German succeeds Roberto De Zerbi at Brighton after signing a contract to 2027.

Hurzeler, who has joined from St. Pauli in Germany, was born in America and moved to Europe when he was two.

He was the second youngest coach in the German league when appointed by St Pauli at the age of 29 years, 11 months, in 2022. 

“He has already shown in a relatively short space of time as a head coach that he is one of the most innovative coaches working in football, and we are looking forward to getting ready for next season,” Brighton deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber said.

1 hour ago, runningback33 said:

Brighton hires Texas-born Hurzeler as coach, youngest ever in Premier League

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/brighton-hires-texas-born-fabian-hurzeler-as-coach-youngest-ever-in-premier-league-1.2135013

Texas-born Fabian Hurzeler was appointed Brighton coach on Saturday and became the youngest manager in English Premier League history.

The 31-year-old German succeeds Roberto De Zerbi at Brighton after signing a contract to 2027.

Hurzeler, who has joined from St. Pauli in Germany, was born in America and moved to Europe when he was two.

He was the second youngest coach in the German league when appointed by St Pauli at the age of 29 years, 11 months, in 2022. 

“He has already shown in a relatively short space of time as a head coach that he is one of the most innovative coaches working in football, and we are looking forward to getting ready for next season,” Brighton deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber said.

Sucks for FC St Pauli.  They have to get a new coach and prepare for a return to the Bundesliga after 13 years.  Tall order

• Cheers 1

interesting, if true:

'Football Leaks' hacker ready to release Man City emails that show 'criminal relevancy'

Football Leaks whistleblower Rui Pinto has warned Manchester City that he is about to release millions of documents which will “find criminal relevancy” against them.

City are alleged to have breached financial fair play regulations and the Premier League are investigating 115 charges. The reigning Premier League champions have denied the allegations and insist they have a "comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence" to support their case, which will be heard in November.

But Pinto, who has been in a witness protection programme since 2020 after being unmasked as the man behind the Football Leaks revelations, says he has handed over five hard drives which will implicate the club. The 35-year-old shared some hacked City emails with the media in 2018, but kept hold of the vast majority, which he says have now been shared with the relevant authorities.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-leaks-man-city-emails-33088638?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mirror+-+Arsenal+FC+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

• 2 weeks later...

Arsenal complete £30m David Raya transfer 

Spain keeper Raya, 28, was on loan last season from Brentford and now Arsenal have agreed a permanent deal with a £30m-plus option already in place. Raya replaced fans’ favourite Aaron Ramsdale as the club’s No1 and won the supporters over by winning the Premier League Golden Glove, keeping 16 league clean sheets in 41 games across all competitions.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-david-raya-transfer-arteta-33160601?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=afternoon_arsenal_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...