What to do with Mikheyev? Where does he fit?

mmkk

37 minutes ago, WiDeN said:

Now that we've got Lindholm, I think my preference would be to slide Mikeyev down to the 4th line and put Hoglander up on the 2nd. 

We'll have to see what works. I like it that this trade happened early enough to figure that stuff out. 

Yup, Mikheyev is paid to produce as a top 6.  He's had 0 goals and 4 points in the last 16 games.  Great defensively, terrible offensively.  Even Sam Lafferty has 2 goals and 6 points playing on the 4th line in the same time frame.  

Not sure why we have to pick apart every piece on this team. Mikheyev has been just fine. Just because he’s isn’t consistently putting up points right now does not mean we should just give up on him. He’s an important player even when he’s not scoring 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Devron said:

Not sure why we have to pick apart every piece on this team. Mikheyev has been just fine. Just because he’s isn’t consistently putting up points right now does not mean we should just give up on him. He’s an important player even when he’s not scoring 

With Lindholm coming in, and people wanting to make sure he gets re-signed, the reality has come that either Mikheyev or Garland need to go this offseason due to cap constraints.  This will likely be the new debate until something happens in the offseason.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

With Lindholm coming in, and people wanting to make sure he gets re-signed, the reality has come that either Mikheyev or Garland need to go this offseason due to cap constraints.  This will likely be the new debate until something happens in the offseason.

That’s fair. I think they both help us this year. Tough to say who Id move at that time. Best to make that call in the offseason. Garland is part of that killer line but I think Mikheyev is more versatile. I’d say keep the better playoff performer this year 

Just now, Devron said:

That’s fair. I think they both help us this year. Tough to say who Id move at that time. Best to make that call in the offseason. Garland is part of that killer line but I think Mikheyev is more versatile. I’d say keep the better playoff performer this year 

That makes a lot of sense.  I think this playoff run will give PA/JR a good sense on who to keep and who goes.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It'll be fun to see him with Petey and Lindholm this week 

I think we should see his point production go up a bit just by accident. 

Im looking forward to seeing 2 selke type centres working together

this could also take a bit of pressure off of Mik to allow him to be a bit more offensive minded

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

We need to keep in mind Mikheyev has never gotten more than 32 points. So he hasn’t exactly ever shown the offensive talent whereas Garland has. I think it will come down to what the team needs more. A defensive or offensive forward. I just think a defensive forward could be had for 2-3 million instead of almost 5 million for Mikheyev.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

We need to keep in mind Mikheyev has never gotten more than 32 points. So he hasn’t exactly ever shown the offensive talent whereas Garland has. I think it will come down to what the team needs more. A defensive or offensive forward. I just think a defensive forward could be had for 2-3 million instead of almost 5 million for Mikheyev.

This plus Garland is an engine, durable and has heart

• Like 1

We keep Garland over Mikheyev and it isnt even close

Garland 5v5 

45%oZS

HIS CORSI IS 55 FUCKING PERCENT.

31TKA 3 GVA

930oiSV%

32GF 17GA

Im sorry but holy shit his numbers are insane. This guy is an absolute fucking animal and a pure possession driver. 31 takeaways a sub 50 oZS and a 10% difference in zone starts compared to CORSI…. This guy right here might just be the best secret weapon going into playoffs. 

Mikheyev 5v5

50.5oiSV% and only a 52.7%CORSI

10TKA 13GVA

.896oiSV%

30GF 25GA

Mikheyev is so much more effective than people give him credit for. He's got great speed, range, two-way acumen, and never puts himself in disadvantageous positions. People need to remember that he had the same knee surgery that Roussel had, and it takes a lot of time to get fully back up to speed. I think people look at his salary and the number of points he's put up and think "Oh shit, his play has been poor..." Fact of the matter is, though, that our top-9 would be so much worse off without him. I agree that he can assert himself a little more at times, and that he can be hot & cold in terms of point production, but he is an incredible asset whose been contributing to a team that currently sits at 1st overall in the entire league. Chill tf out, people!

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Garland 5v5 

45%oZS

31TKA 3 GVA

930oiSV%

32GF 17GA

Im sorry but holy shit his numbers are insane. This guy is an absolute fucking animal and a pure possession driver. 31 takeaways a sub 50 oZS and a 10% difference in zone starts compared to CORSI…. This guy right here might just be the best secret weapon going into playoffs. 

Mikheyev 5v5

10TKA 13GVA

.896oiSV%

30GF 25GA

I posted this in another thread. 

Moving Garland would be terrible.  We have arguably the best 3rd line in the league because of how Garland drives that line.  Garland is all over the top of the leaderboard in all the advanced key metrics on the Canucks.  Don't believe me, have a look yourself:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=y&team=VAN&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

1st in CF%

1st in FF%

1st in SF%

3rd in GF%

1st in xGF%

1st in SCF%

1st in HDCF%

1st in HDGF%

He literally dominates the advanced stats for pretty much every metric.  It'd be absolute idiotic to move Garland ahead of Mikheyev.  That'd be one of the stupidest moves Allvin could make. 

With that being said, this is nothing against Mikheyev because I think he brings an excellent defensive game to this roster, but when a player dominates the metrics like Garland does, and how we see that reflected on the ice as well, it's obvious that Garland is a keeper.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Garland 5v5 

45%oZS

31TKA 3 GVA

930oiSV%

32GF 17GA

Mikheyev 5v5

10TKA 13GVA

.896oiSV%

30GF 25GA

I don't really see the point in worrying about this. I think there's even a chance both can stay. We have a lot of contracts coming off the books after all and neither Garland nor Mikeyev are part of that group of finishing contracts.

And sure, maybe we decide we need more cap space and one of those contracts ends up appealing to trade away, but that also depends on who we want/can resign.

Edited by The Lock

I know nobody wants to ruin a good thing, but I think Mik should be playing with Suter and Garland on the third line. Move Joshua and Blueger to 4th line with Laf. Hogz plays with Petey/Lindy.

Petey-Lindy-Hogz

???-Miller-Boeser

Mik-Suter-Garland

Joshua-Blueger-Laf

Aman

Could put PDG back with Mills/Boes or make a trade to fill the spot (Vatrano?).

just my thoughts.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:30 AM, mmkk said:

Tocchet likes the way he plays, but imo he needs to produce more for what he's getting paid, and he's injury prone. I want to give him 5-10 games to see if he can produce with the two Elias' first. If he can't he's dead weight and we can go after someone that can produce or make room for Petey and Lindholm to do their thing. Greenway? Maroon? Thoughts? Who should we go after if Mik doesn't cut it.

Not worth commenting on this nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Not worth commenting on this nonsense. 

Not nonsense. RT is paying attention.

“I’m playing (Mikheyev) with these two guys, and I’ve got to see some forechecking from him,” Tocchet said as the Canucks prepared to emerge from the National Hockey League All-Star break with Tuesday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes. “I’ve got to see him winning some battles and, I think, coming up with loose pucks. I want him to drive the play, especially as a top forechecker for us. He’s got guys that have the puck a lot that can hold on to pucks and make plays. So, you know, this is a test for Mik. I mean, I’ve got to see some good stuff out of him here on this line.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/with-top-six-spot-on-the-line-upcoming-road-trip-a-test-for-canucks-mikheyev/sn-amp/

15 hours ago, mmkk said:

“I’m playing (Mikheyev) with these two guys, and I’ve got to see some forechecking from him,” Tocchet said as the Canucks prepared to emerge from the National Hockey League All-Star break with Tuesday’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes. “I’ve got to see him winning some battles and, I think, coming up with loose pucks. I want him to drive the play, especially as a top forechecker for us. He’s got guys that have the puck a lot that can hold on to pucks and make plays. So, you know, this is a test for Mik. I mean, I’ve got to see some good stuff out of him here on this line.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/with-top-six-spot-on-the-line-upcoming-road-trip-a-test-for-canucks-mikheyev/sn-amp/

Honestly feel like Mikheyev is the next one up in the hot seat with those comments. He hasn’t really been putting up points to warrant a 2nd line position and he’s too pricey for the bottom 6. If he doesn’t pick it up I can see management trading him for an impact player.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, mmkk said:

4 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Honestly feel like Mikheyev is the next one up in the hot seat with those comments. He hasn’t really been putting up points to warrant a 2nd line position and he’s too pricey for the bottom 6. If he doesn’t pick it up I can see management trading him for an impact player.

I'm not surprised at all.  He's getting a free ride in the top 6 right now because of his defensive abilities.  Problem is you can find those defensive abilities for a heckuva lot less than $4.75M a year.  If he's not producing, he's essentially a 4th line checker, and even then, our 4th line checkers in Hoglander and Lafferty have as many or more goals than Mikheyev does.  Not sure why people are just ignoring the fact he's not producing in a top 6 role.

• Cheers 2

Up until the last 16 games he had 47 points in 86 games as a Canuck so around a 22 goal 45 point pace which is production in line with his salary and add in his PK & defensive ability and he is decent value on the whole.

That said he isn’t good enough or really expensive enough to be gifted a top 6 role without earning it. Garland makes even more and hasn’t had near the opportunities. Time for Hoglander to move up even just for 3 or 4 games to see if he has any production there. 

I think it was AV who emphasized pairings over lines. I think the 3rd line stays together but the pairings of Lindholm-EP and Miller-Boeser should stick with guys rotating in based on who is playing well. Kind of what we have seen and it works well IMO 

50 minutes ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Up until the last 16 games he had 47 points in 86 games as a Canuck so around a 22 goal 45 point pace which is production in line with his salary and add in his PK & defensive ability and he is decent value on the whole.

That said he isn’t good enough or really expensive enough to be gifted a top 6 role without earning it. Garland makes even more and hasn’t had near the opportunities. Time for Hoglander to move up even just for 3 or 4 games to see if he has any production there. 

I think it was AV who emphasized pairings over lines. I think the 3rd line stays together but the pairings of Lindholm-EP and Miller-Boeser should stick with guys rotating in based on who is playing well. Kind of what we have seen and it works well IMO 

Mikheyev and Höglander are two different types of players.  Mickey is a much stronger forechecker with great positioning on both sides of the ice, on and off the puck.  Hogs is a much better puck cycler and a far better finisher on the puck.  Together they possess all the qualities needed in a Tocchet-style Canucks team, but the dilemma is that those qualities are split between the two.  Do you pick the better forechecker or do you pick the better O-zone man?

I've been very critical of Mikheyev. But now that we have Lindholm, I think he is a fine top 6 piece. Much like the 3rd guy on the Miller/Boeser line, all he needs to do is be a force on the forecheck and provide a good defensive game. Both he can do with his speed. I think there is a place for Mik with Petey now that Petey actually has someone that can be his Robin, like Boeser is for Miller.