[proposal] Canucks and Flames - The Final Chapter: #RasmusAndersson

Dare we dream?

Would it be worth the investment on our end?

Myers + one of Willander or Lekkerimaki?

Pettersson-Miller-Mikheyev

Suter-Lindholm-Boeser

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Hoglander-Aman-Lafferty

PDG

Hughes-Andersson

Soucy-Hronek

Cole-Zadorov

Juulsen

Demko

DeSmith

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1

I would do Myers and Letteremaki for Andersson and I would even add something else small, with no cap retention on our end, like Karlsson.

Letteremaki's value is up now and he is a non premium position (winger) and we have a lot of organizational depth there at all levels, arguably our position of strength.

a right side for the next 6 years of Hronek, Andersson, Juulsen, Wallander would be the best in the league. We would be contenders for the next 5-7 yrs

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canucks curse said:

I would do Myers and Letteremaki for Andersson and I would even add something else small, with no cap retention on our end, like Karlsson.

Letteremaki's value is up now and he is a non premium position (winger) and we have a lot of organizational depth there at all levels, arguably our position of strength.

a right side for the next 6 years of Hronek, Andersson, Juulsen, Wallander would be the best in the league. We would be contenders for the next 5-7 yrs

I would possibly be inclined to move Willander or Lekkerimaki (for Andersson) because if we had both Hronek and Andersson long term, then Willander would be on the right side 3rd pairing (or it would be Hronek or Andersson).  Our right side D would be inappropriately stacked.

thats maybe the best defence we've ever had? if not, its close.

I'd hate to give up on Willander. I'd be more OK with Lekkerimaki. Andersson has term too which makes it easier to take. 

Interesting idea tho, and at this point nothing would surprise me. 

Andersson would cost more than Willander and Myers IMO. He's a bonafide top pairing defenseman, something we're hoping Willander could be. Andersson already is that. Myers has negative value unless you retain. I think if you do Willander + Myers at 50% retention, you're close, but still probably need to add a 3rd rounder or something.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Andersson would cost more than Willander and Myers IMO. He's a bonafide top pairing defenseman, something we're hoping Willander could be. Andersson already is that. Myers has negative value unless you retain. I think if you do Willander + Myers at 50% retention, you're close, but still probably need to add a 3rd rounder or something.

I think it'd take more than a 3rd. If Andersson, as a top pairing RD, is actually available than much of the league would probably be poking around. 

The only D Calgary have signed beyond this season are Weegar and Andersson, he seems like a piece they should probably keep if they're retooling. With long term contracts doled out to Kadri and Huberdeau I think they're more set on a retool than a teardown rebuild. I do think they'll look to turn things over quickly, someone's gotta play for them next season. 

The only forwards they have signed beyond next season are the aforementioned, Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Backlund, and Coleman, and all are up within 1-3 seasons. 

It's tough to predict what Calgary does, they'll have a lot of cap space though. They could be in for some more tough seasons though. 

If he won't stay they'll trade him though, but with two seasons remaining on his deal that's not necessarily a this season problem. The bigger threat is Sharangovich not extending, he's been good this season and only has a year remaining. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think it'd take more than a 3rd. If Andersson, as a top pairing RD, is actually available than much of the league would probably be poking around. 

The only D Calgary have signed beyond this season are Weegar and Andersson, he seems like a piece they should probably keep if they're retooling. With long term contracts doled out to Kadri and Huberdeau I think they're more set on a retool than a teardown rebuild. I do think they'll look to turn things over quickly, someone's gotta play for them next season. 

The only forwards they have signed beyond next season are the aforementioned, Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Backlund, and Coleman, and all are up within 1-3 seasons. 

It's tough to predict what Calgary does, they'll have a lot of cap space though. They could be in for some more tough seasons though. 

If he won't stay they'll trade him though, but with two seasons remaining on his deal that's not necessarily a this season problem. The bigger threat is Sharangovich not extending, he's been good this season and only has a year remaining. 

Yeah, I was a bit wary of making too strong a statement, but you're probably right. They would maybe ask for Hoglander/Pods on top of all that too.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

thats maybe the best defence we've ever had? if not, its close.

I'd hate to give up on Willander. I'd be more OK with Lekkerimaki. Andersson has term too which makes it easier to take. 

Interesting idea tho, and at this point nothing would surprise me. 

I would still argue that our 2011 defense was possibly better.  At that time, we basically had five #2 calibre defensemen (Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Erhoff) even if we didn’t have a true #1.  In other words, any one injury to any one defenseman wouldn’t have sunk us.

With our current team, we have a true #1 (Hughes), and a #2 (Hronek), but after that, we have a bunch of #4 and #5 calibre dmen (Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, Myers).

My concern with our current defense (and team) is that it’s still too dependent on Hughes and Hughes’ health.  If Hughes goes down with injury, we will go from being an elite team to a 10-13 calibre team since any of [Zadorov/Soucy/Myers/Cole] playing with Hronek would be a sub-par top pairing.

That’s why I’m still in favor of bringing in a guy like Andersson or Tanev from Calgary (whom we have a good relationship with). Get one of those defenseman and fill the gap of that 2A/#3 guy.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I would still argue that our 2011 defense was possibly better.  At that time, we basically had five #2 calibre defensemen (Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Erhoff) even if we didn’t have a true #1.  In other words, any one injury to any one defenseman wouldn’t have sunk us.

With our current team, we have a true #1 (Hughes), and a #2 (Hronek), but after that, we have a bunch of #4 and #5 calibre dmen (Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, Myers).

My concern with our current defense (and team) is that it’s still too dependent on Hughes and Hughes’ health.  If Hughes goes down with injury, we will go from being an elite team to a 10-13 calibre team since any of [Zadorov/Soucy/Myers/Cole] playing with Hronek would be a sub-par top pairing.

That’s why I’m still in favor of bringing in a guy like Andersson or Tanev from Calgary (whom we have a good relationship with). Get one of those defenseman and fill the gap of that 2A/#3 guy.

I think Hronek could step up in a pinch to be a great puck mover / PP guy but yep Hughes drives the bus.

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think Hronek could step up in a pinch to be a great puck mover / PP guy but yep Hughes drives the bus.

Yes agreed.  Hronek likely could step up in a pinch to be a great puck mover / PP but his partner at that point (Soucy/Zadorov/Cole/Myers) would be unacceptable as top pairing fill-ins playing alongside Hronek.  Hence, the need for someone like Tanev or Andersson (even if they would have to play their off-side).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

Yes agreed.  Hronek likely could step up in a pinch to be a great pick mover / PP but his partner at that point (Soucy/Zadorov/Cole/Myers) would be unacceptable as top pairing fill-ins playing alongside Hronek.  Hence, the need for someone like Tanev or Andersson (even if they would have to play their off-side).

Id love to see the Tanev thing happen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Id love to see the Tanev thing happen. 

Me too…..although I’d be interested to see what the asking price for Andersson would be.  From what I understand, he’s basically the right handed version of 2011 Edler (maybe not quite at that level but within the ball park).  

I think that’s really the only thing missing from our line up.  Not only would he help our PK but I think the additions of both Lindholm and Andersson could possibly gives us two PP options (similar to 2011).

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Me too…..although I’d be interested to see what the asking price for Andersson would be.  From what I understand, he’s basically the right handed version of 2011 Edler (maybe not quite at that level but within the ball park).  

I think that’s really the only thing missing from our line up.  Not only would he help our PK but I think the additions of both Lindholm and Andersson could possibly gives us two PP options (similar to 2011).

Probably Willander... Which would be tough to take. Otoh he's signed for two more years. Id be much more comfortable with someone like Podz and 2025 1st.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Probably Willander... Which would be tough to take. Otoh he's signed for two more years. Id be much more comfortable with someone like Podz and 2025 1st.

Agreed……..although I’m of the belief that if we were to acquire Rasmus Andersson, we would be even better than our 2011 team.  

I haven’t analyzed our long term cap structure in too much depth but my guess is that this year is our best chance of winning it all (although having Kuzmenko’s contract off the books does help quite a bit).

• Vintage 1

He's 27, big strong top pairing RD. He'd cost Myers + top prospect (Lekker/Willander) + 1st or 2nd. Far too much for what he's worth. We don't need a top puck moving RD anyway. We need a middle pairing 20 minute shutdown guy. Tanev ticks those boxes nicely but age is against him.

Myers + Lekker + 2025 2nd?

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Andersson

Soucy - Cole

Could let Cole walk and sign Tanev to a cheap 2-3M deal and basically have half of Calgary's defence. Andersson is just on a 4.5M cap hit for the next few years as well which should really play into his value - he's playing like a 6-8M defenceman and will be for the next 3 years anyway.

As crazy as the haul is, I'd consider it. It fixes our short-term problem (puts our D over the top) and medium term problem (we'll lose Myers/Cole next year to age/slowing down) and long-term problem (will slowly pass the torch to Willander).