HKSR's Spreadsheet Forecast to 2026-27 with Lindholm Re-signed!

13 minutes ago, boziffous said:

You have Garland listed for $3 million in 2025/26 season, but that is the final year of his current contract which is $4.95 million

Thanks, I'll revise.  Dropped his salary a year early.  I'd almost consider trading Garland at that point though anyways.  I think we'll have some youngster rising through our system that takes his place.

This is pretty good and (surprisingly, considering what fans usually do) reasonable.  

Now, we know that Allvin and Rutherford  love to shuffle the deck so I’m sure 3 years out there’ll be a lot more change… but it’s nice to see it’s possible to keep Lindholm around if he’s willing to take a not max market deal.  

I’m hoping the news out of Calgary was him saying “pay me or trade me” more than an actual contract expectation - but still I’d be ready to lose one of Bleuger or Joshua to accommodate a little more for Petey/Hronek/Lindholm.  Still, once again, it’s nice to see it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility to keep him.

Edited by The Duke

On 2/1/2024 at 8:48 AM, HKSR said:

You know it was coming.  Here is my forecast while keeping Lindholm! 

Why forecast to 2026-27?  That's the 2nd year of OEL's big buyout penalty years.  After that, it drops down to $2Mish each year.

I'll break down my write-up by year so it's easier to follow.  All new contract amounts are in blue.

2023-24 (Current Year):

We've landed our big fish.  I foresee a couple smaller fish yet to come to round out our depth.

2024-25

- Big pay days for Petey ($12M AAV) and Hronek ($7M AAV).

- To have the cap space to re-sign Lindholm, we trade away Mikheyev for futures.  His PK ability is replaced by Lindholm. 

- Lindholm re-signed for $7M x 7!

- We keep the Garland/Blueger/Joshua line together with Blueger and Joshua signing identical $2.9M x 3 extensions.

- Zadorov gets $4M x 4 because he loves Vancouver.

- Podkolzin gets his shot with the big club and shows he is ready.

- Tanev loves Vancouver and signs a $2.75M AAV deal for 2 years to finish off his career in Vancouver (either that or Myers comes back for around the same cap hit).

- DeSmith might leave, but we find a backup for around $2M.

- Unfortunately, Lafferty becomes too expensive.  Is replaced by Linus Karlsson.  PDG is also back in the mix for a final year in the bottom 6.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Suter-Lindholm-Pettersson

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Podkolzin-Aman-PDG/Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Tanev

Zadorov-Juulsen

2025-26

- Brock gets a new $7M AAV extension as he is now a consistent 70 point player.

- Hoglander also gets a big pay day as he enters top 6 territory ($5M AAV).

- This is the year our young guns enter the fray -- Lekkerimaki, Willander, and Raty all make the big club. 

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Petey-Lindholm-Lekkerimaki

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Podkolzin-Raty-Karlsson

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Willander

2026-27

- Hard to forecast this far out, but Garland no longer makes $4.95M AAV.  He drops down to market value of $3M. 

- Demko's big pay day of $9M AAV.

- Young guns continue to develop and start taking over the lineup.

- Nearly $8.5M to fill out the rest of the roster.

Petey-Lindholm-Lekkerimaki

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Raty-Joshua

Garland-Blueger-Karlsson

Hughes-Willander

Soucy-Hronek

Zadorov-bottom pair RHD

image.thumb.png.9ac863d328f6d55cbc61b071ae01e93c.png

TLDR:  Trade Mikheyev and we can keep Lindholm @ $7M AAV (very reasonable IMO), Petey at $12M, Hronek @ $7M.  Can even keep the Garland/Blueger/Joshua line together for a few years. 

This window can potentially stay open for several years folks.  Excited yet?

Hronek should really take $6M and be thankful. 

On 2/3/2024 at 2:39 PM, The Duke said:

This is pretty good and (surprisingly, considering what fans usually do) reasonable.  

Now, we know that Allvin and Rutherford  love to shuffle the deck so I’m sure 3 years out there’ll be a lot more change… but it’s nice to see it’s possible to keep Lindholm around if he’s willing to take a not max market deal.  

I’m hoping the news out of Calgary was him saying “pay me or trade me” more than an actual contract expectation - but still I’d be ready to lose one of Bleuger or Joshua to accommodate a little more for Petey/Hronek/Lindholm.  Still, once again, it’s nice to see it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility to keep him.

Myers contract runs out so we can use that money to pay and keep both and use ELC for one 3rd pairing on a farm that have had a hard time cracking in the line-up and still not missing any beat.

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

Myers contract runs out so we can use that money to pay and keep both and use ELC for one 3rd pairing on a farm that have had a hard time cracking in the line-up and still not missing any beat.

Cole is also getting 3 mil

Replace him with one of the abby guys frees up 2 mil 

7 hours ago, coolboarder said:

6 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Cole is also getting 3 mil

Replace him with one of the abby guys frees up 2 mil 

One of our biggest strengths this season has been having 6 legitimate NHL defenders on the roster… 7 if you count Juulsen, and he’s played like it this year.

When Soucy got hurt (and before Zadorov) we were struggling quite a bit with two of Juulsen, Friedman, whoever down the depth chart in the lineup.  

We certainly have options capwise with Cole and Myers off the books, but I’d be hesitant to go with even Juulsen to start the season in the top 6 if we can avoid it - unless of course we’re bringing in an upgrade on the 2nd pair or something like that.  

I don’t think Willander or DPetey will be ready next year, so I like the idea of keeping some of our older guys like Myers or Cole if they’re willing to sign 1 year deals.  Or Tanev.  Just my opinion!

Edited by The Duke

I think there's certainly a way we can make it happen. Worst case scenario is that Petey gets 11.5M, Hronek 7.5-8M (not sure how he can justify making more than our captain though so I think that'll keep him at 7.5M) and then Lindholm is tricky - it depends how he fares with us. I think 7M is worst-case scenario but we can make it work. I think Zadorov at 4M is very reasonable for both parties.

We obviously have to let one of Garland or Mikheyev go which I'm more than happy with if we're keeping Lindholm. Essentially Kuzmenko's 5.5M + Garland/Mikheyev's 5M gone is more than enough to keep Lindholm + OEL's extra dead cap. The rest of the team we work out with Myer and Cole's 9M off the books (to fill up Petey, Hronek and our depth forwards).

The big question mark then is defence...are we over-committing up front?

We could easily let Lindholm walk, keep our (relatively useless) 5M wingers and invest in defence in the free agency. We could keep Cole for 2M and sign Tanev for 3-4M.

We've got to remember that the reason we're so good right now is that we prioritised our defence last off-season. We drafted a bunch of defencemen and signed a couple tough guys, then traded for one too. We don't want to get too offence-orientated because we're still top of the league in scoring. Scoring can come from plenty of places but this team relies on tough, strong defenders under Tocchet's system. We're about to lose two veterans in Cole and Myers and you see what that did to New Jersey. They thought they could roll with kids and they've gone from a contender to out of the playoffs because of their ego.

I love Lindholm and do think it'd be nice to re-sign him but someone's got to give. If we keep Lindholm we obviously lose some depth, maybe we have to let some of our good 3rd liners go to get some decent defencemen.

It's all about balance, we don't want to become like the Leafs but also with the haul we just sent over, you don't want to let Lindholm walk.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, boziffous said:

You have Garland listed for $3 million in 2025/26 season, but that is the final year of his current contract which is $4.95 million

Revised below.  Actually made some additional adjustments:

- let Blueger walk and have Suter take his place instead.

- Bumped up Boeser, Lindholm, and Hronek's cap hits to a level that likely has a much higher chance of locking them down long term.

- Letting Blueger walk allows us to bring in more solid depth for D (as @DownUndaCanuck alluded to).

Updated lineup with a hole that needs to be looked at:

???-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Podkolzin-Aman-Karlsson/PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Tanev

Soucy-Cole

Juulsen

My thoughts are it might be worthwhile to see what Joshua could do next to Miller and Boeser.  Clearly he has untapped offensive potential.  Garland is the engine that truly drives that 3rd line, so maybe move Podkolzin up to Joshua's spot on that 3rd line?  This would also open up a roster spot for a guy like Bains. 

image.thumb.png.99aa26dd61e54d72b20aa296f6324d68.png

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

I'd rather we keep Blueger as a 4C (or 3C depending on how we deploy the top 3 centers next year and roll Raty or Aman at 4C) than Suter, but obviously contract-wise it makes more sense to just let Bleuger walk. We could potentially flip Mikheyev/Garland + Suter to a team for a defenceman back.

Do we dare go back to Calgary with Mikheyev + Suter for Tanev...fixes a lot of issues, retain what we need to make them fit or flip them to Chicago who may want some depth now. We retain say 1M of Suter's cap hit to make the swap then re-sign Tanev for say 2-3M next season on a 1-2 year deal. Saves us a couple of mil right there, we lose some depth up front but gain a 2RD. Let Cole and Myers walk, Juulsen plays 3RD and Willander may be ready the following year.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd rather we keep Blueger as a 4C (or 3C depending on how we deploy the top 3 centers next year and roll Raty or Aman at 4C) than Suter, but obviously contract-wise it makes more sense to just let Bleuger walk. We could potentially flip Mikheyev/Garland + Suter to a team for a defenceman back.

Do we dare go back to Calgary with Mikheyev + Suter for Tanev...fixes a lot of issues, retain what we need to make them fit or flip them to Chicago who may want some depth now. We retain say 1M of Suter's cap hit to make the swap then re-sign Tanev for say 2-3M next season on a 1-2 year deal. Saves us a couple of mil right there, we lose some depth up front but gain a 2RD. Let Cole and Myers walk, Juulsen plays 3RD and Willander may be ready the following year.

Are you talking this year? or next year? 

Nice to see someone do the work.

Some numbers are optimistic, but on the other side even if you take a higher number it just means dropping one of Joshua/Blueger and replacing them with a new "cheap" version of them for $1-2 million.  That frees up almost two million for larger raises to Hronek and Lindholm.  Petterson and Zadorov numbers are also on the low end, but again... instead of committing almost six million to two third liners and give them term who have just had career years, you either pick up someone in UFA/Waivers or see who on the farm is ready.

Third liners can be gotten for reasonable deals on the market, especially if we go deeper into the playoffs and/or win the Presidents trophy this year.  Lots of veterans looking for another kick at the can to be had for under $2 million on one year deals.  Pay for the higher end players and fill in the gaps at the bottom of the roster.

That defence seems pretty solid:

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Tanev
Zadorov-Cole
Juulsen

• Cheers 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:24 AM, HKSR said:

Thanks, I'll revise.  Dropped his salary a year early.  I'd almost consider trading Garland at that point though anyways.  I think we'll have some youngster rising through our system that takes his place.

Bains 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We have other FA’s to resign that made our team good this year. 

Lindholm was just an expensive rental. 

To show Canucks Nation, this regime isn’t afraid to go for it. 

Helps with Kuzmenko 5 million of the books, mainly for Hronek and EP40.

Off the top of my head, I don’t think we’ll be able to move Mikheyev for futures.

My guess is that Lindholm ends up being the 2020 version of Tyler Toffoli. Lindholm comes here for a cup of coffee, helps us in the playoffs, and then signs elsewhere on July 1st.

The good news?  We have an extra 5.5 million since Kuzmenko is no longer on the books.  All of our extra money will be used on Pettersson, Hronek, Bluegar, etc.  (retaining and preserving what we’ve built).

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Off the top of my head, I don’t think we’ll be able to move Mikheyev for futures.

My guess is that Lindholm ends up being the 2020 version of Tyler Toffoli. Lindholm comes here for a cup of coffee, helps us in the playoffs, and then signs elsewhere on July 1st.

The good news?  We have an extra 5.5 million since Kuzmenko is no longer on the books.  All of our extra money will be used on Pettersson, Hronek, Bluegar, etc.  (retaining and preserving what we’ve built).

Why do you think that?  I could see Chicago being interested in a player like Mik.  We all know he's fantastic defensively, and excellent on the PK.  Could be a great complementary player next to Bedard.  It's all in the ask.  I'd take a 3rd round pick back for Mik if it means we can re-sign Lindholm.

Thing is, Mikheyev isn't a useless player.  He's just a complementary top 6 guy.  He's probably good for 15 to 20 goals, and around 40 points or so.  He's overpaid by maybe $500k to $750k.  Hardly an anchor or anything. 

I just look at it as, would you rather have Lindholm or Mikheyev?

• Cheers 1