[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

37 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

Is it just me or does it seem like we don't get these games this close-up on TV!?

you mean the Canuck home games?  It seems they moved the cameras back like a whole section.

LA looked impressive.  Good defending, good forecheck.  I havent watched them during their whole down trend of the past couple months but they look pretty good.

That should be text book video for how to defend McDavid.  They got under his skin.  Danault and Kopitar head to head smothered him.  You shut down that guy theres a good chance you win.  Nuge hasnt scored for like a dozen games bottom 6 is a black hole of offence.  Connor brown with 0 goals, Holloway with like 3 points lol.

Been at work so didn't get to comment on the Reilly situation but it burns my toast to see people saying Reilly did the right thing by responding but www maybe over aggressive,  which is a take I actually agree with, but then none of them have a problem with the fact he got away completely unscathed because the linesmen saved him.

He himself looked ready for the impending beatdown that was coming his way and the linesmen jump in and save him from it. 

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Just remember that this cheap shot got a 21 game suspension…

The Dale Hunter hit was an absurdly violent one and I don't think we'll ever see anything close to that.  There are a handful of differences between him and Rielly:

1. Turgeon scored a completely normal goal and did nothing to deserve such a cheapshot.  Ridly Greig knew what he was doing, and when you show up an opponent in hockey, you're gonna have to answer for it somehow.  If you're a firm believer in the code (which I personally am not), you gotta believe that Greig has to pay the piper.
  2. The Hunter hit was insanely violent that resulted in a concussion and separated shoulder.  The Rielly hit was a crosscheck to the head, but seemingly did not result in any injury.  David Perron's crosscheck on Zub earlier this year got him 6 games, and I think it was much dirtier (he retaliated against the wrong guy).

So compared to the other big boy suspensions, the Rielly hit is lacking a couple things.  Greig was due for a response while Turgeon and Zub were not.  Rielly's retaliation fits within the standards of the unwritten hockey code, while Perron and Hunter do not.  If Perron got 6 games... I think Rielly gets half that.  Either way, he's a massive loss for Toronto during a nightmare season.  Now they gotta put Connor Timmins out there.

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The Dale Hunter hit was an absurdly violent one and I don't think we'll ever see anything close to that.  There are a handful of differences between him and Rielly:

1. Turgeon scored a completely normal goal and did nothing to deserve such a cheapshot.  Ridly Greig knew what he was doing, and when you show up an opponent in hockey, you're gonna have to answer for it somehow.  If you're a firm believer in the code (which I personally am not), you gotta believe that Greig has to pay the piper.
  2. The Hunter hit was insanely violent that resulted in a concussion and separated shoulder.  The Rielly hit was a crosscheck to the head, but seemingly did not result in any injury.  David Perron's crosscheck on Zub earlier this year got him 6 games, and I think it was much dirtier (he retaliated against the wrong guy).

So compared to the other big boy suspensions, the Rielly hit is lacking a couple things.  Greig was due for a response while Turgeon and Zub were not.  Rielly's retaliation fits within the standards of the unwritten hockey code, while Perron and Hunter do not.  If Perron got 6 games... I think Rielly gets half that.  Either way, he's a massive loss for Toronto during a nightmare season.  Now they gotta put Connor Timmins out there.

Does the league hand out suspensions and determine their severity based on the “code”?  I’ve never heard that before…

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Does the league hand out suspensions and determine their severity based on the “code”?  I’ve never heard that before…

I mean, I have zero clue how the NHL determines supplemental discipline.  My guess like a lot of others think - they spin the wheel.

I do know that in 1993, Bettman and Burke wanted to make an example out of Hunter that this kind of play was completely unacceptable in the NHL.  I think everyone could understand that Hunter's hit had NOTHING to do with the Code, which is why they came down on him as hard as they did.

Obviously a lot has changed in the 30 years, and the league has been clamping down on crosschecks to the head.  The fact that the play was long dead makes it a non-hockey play.  Rielly is going to get punished for this.  But I totally get where his energy was coming from - I just think the high crosscheck was undisciplined.  Most people, Leafs fans and non-Leafs fans alike, are okay with his reaction but not the hit itself.

We will see Nikita Zadrov inevitably fight someone in the first period on Thursday.  The Code is still here, to stay.  But how the context of that Code factors into the NHL's DoPS?  🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I mean, I have zero clue how the NHL determines supplemental discipline.  My guess like a lot of others think - they spin the wheel.

I do know that in 1993, Bettman and Burke wanted to make an example out of Hunter that this kind of play was completely unacceptable in the NHL.  I think everyone could understand that Hunter's hit had NOTHING to do with the Code, which is why they came down on him as hard as they did.

Obviously a lot has changed in the 30 years, and the league has been clamping down on crosschecks to the head.  The fact that the play was long dead makes it a non-hockey play.  Rielly is going to get punished for this.  But I totally get where his energy was coming from - I just think the high crosscheck was undisciplined.  Most people, Leafs fans and non-Leafs fans alike, are okay with his reaction but not the hit itself.

We will see Nikita Zadrov inevitably fight someone in the first period on Thursday.  The Code is still here, to stay.  But how the context of that Code factors into the NHL's DoPS?  🤷‍♂️

If the NHL DoPS was actually a legit department they would give Rielly 6 games just like Perron. Regardless of the code, both plays were very similar cross checks to the head. 

But we all know the DoPS is not really legit. Rielly will get 2-3 games. Mark my words. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the NHL DoPS was actually a legit department they would give Rielly 6 games just like Perron. Regardless of the code, both plays were very similar cross checks to the head. 

But we all know the DoPS is not really legit. Rielly will get 2-3 games. Mark my words. 

Never mind.  I calculate it'll be zero games.

Screenshot_20240211_093758_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6eac75a8c0458f7745d04bd8e4cfdf30.jpg

• Haha 1

With zadorov getting 2 games..... Rielly should be 6 games plus

He lead with a 2 hands in the stick head shot , was after the play so the opposing player had already let up , and the head hit was the intent vs simply being reckless 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Sapper said:

With zadorov getting 2 games..... Rielly should be 6 games plus

He lead with a 2 hands in the stick head shot , was after the play so the opposing player had already let up , and the head hit was the intent vs simply being reckless 

For sure. But this is the DOPS so it’s going to be a piss poor decision. Hunter got 21 games for doing something very similar to Turgeon. And he didn’t cross check to the head. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For sure. But this is the DOPS so it’s going to be a piss poor decision. Hunter got 21 games for doing something very similar to Turgeon. And he didn’t cross check to the head. 

Different time, different circumstances, different outcome.  Incomparable.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf, not quite Hunter level on Turgeon, but the same malice is there. Rielly was headhunting.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

Alf, not quite Hunter level on Turgeon, but the same malice is there. Rielly was headhunting.

Hunter didn’t cross check Turgeon in the head. He launched him into the boards resulting in a shoulder injury. The Reilly cross check to the head could have had far worse consequences. The league needs to suspend at least five games and (imo) it should be a lot more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

1. How Greig and Turgeon scored should make no difference on how Reilly should or should not be allowed to cross check a persons head.

2. I'd argue that a cross check to a head is insanely violent as well.  It's just lucky that Greig didn't get injured.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1