[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

40 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

DoPS is up and active for the day, issuing a fine to Grzelyck.  Let's see how long it takes to get to Rielly 🤔

I saw it as intentionally trying to injure. 
Thinking he probably gets asked to try to be nicer. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

1. How Greig and Turgeon scored should make no difference on how Reilly should or should not be allowed to cross check a persons head.

2. I'd argue that a cross check to a head is insanely violent as well.  It's just lucky that Greig didn't get injured.

Watching Hunter glove to the face of Turgeon, then the force of his motions pushing him into the boards separating his shoulder in the process was the big reason for that long suspension. Rielly crosschecked Greig in the head with a lot of intent, this doesn't fall into code, just an all out cheap shot with I hope a huge suspension. But, we're talking the Leafs and the Center of the Universe here.

Just now, Johngould21 said:

Watching Hunter glove to the face of Turgeon, then the force of his motions pushing him into the boards separating his shoulder in the process was the big reason for that long suspension. Rielly crosschecked Greig in the head with a lot of intent, this doesn't fall into code, just an all out cheap shot with I hope a huge suspension. But, we're talking the Leafs and the Center of the Universe here.

The only difference is Greig didn't get injured.  If he did, then we wouldn't even be debating this.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

1. How Greig and Turgeon scored should make no difference on how Reilly should or should not be allowed to cross check a persons head.

2. I'd argue that a cross check to a head is insanely violent as well.  It's just lucky that Greig didn't get injured.

Well, he's going to get suspended either way, it's just a matter of how many games.  The thing with the Hunter hit is that it was completely uncalled for - an exceptionally violent hit that was universally condemned.  The NHL is never going to outwardly say they reduce non-hockey punishments like this when it falls within the standards of the Code, so to speak.  But if it's a non-hockey play that the Code does not cover... that's when the NHL really decides to make an example out of someone.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, he's going to get suspended either way, it's just a matter of how many games.  The thing with the Hunter hit is that it was completely uncalled for - an exceptionally violent hit that was universally condemned.  The NHL is never going to outwardly say they reduce non-hockey punishments like this when it falls within the standards of the Code, so to speak.  But if it's a non-hockey play that the Code does not cover... that's when the NHL really decides to make an example out of someone.

I don't expect to see a 21 game suspension, but given how Zadorov got 2 for an in game play, I can't see Reilly gets out of this without at least 5 games.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow. This means it will be similar to Perron. 5-6 games. Someone must have paid off Bettman. 

Hrudey should shove it in Bieksa’s face next weekend. 

That and young players copy their hero’s in the nhl. So they see Reilly attack a guy, after the play, with a cross check to the head and need to know that’s a cowardly act and not something to be emulated. 

• Cheers 2

I actually like how Greig slapped that shot in there, funny and kind of an F you. I also like Reilly responding to it. Reilly should of just crosschecked him in the pads or pant. Or best option, toss the gloves, square up and let Greig defend himself. Instead Rielly pulled a gutless move typical of that shinny hockey team. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rekker said:

I actually like how Greig slapped that shot in there, funny and kind of an F you. I also like Reilly responding to it. Reilly should of just crosschecked him in the pads or pant. Or best option, toss the gloves, square up and let Greig defend himself. Instead Rielly pulled a gutless move typical of that shinny hockey team. 

Yeah he should have squared up and just got into a tilt.  That would have sent the message across just as well.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow. This means it will be similar to Perron. 5-6 games. Someone must have paid off Bettman. 

Hrudey will. He doesn’t have much material and has to jump on every opportunity he gets.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That whole segment was so cringey. If it was ever more obvious that Sportsnet works for the Leafs that was it.

Hrudey being a Flames homer was the only one that saw it clearly. Juice has been drinking too much blue kool aide.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Also, taking the snapshot adds an element of risk. He could heel it and shoot wide, perhaps giving the Laffs a chance to tie (unlikely here given a few seconds left, but still).

As you say, there are plenty of cleaner options to retaliate to the showboating. Not sure about Rielly's history, but I think this is worse than Perron/Zub situation, given how Rielly chased him down to give the crosscheck.

2 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Also, taking the snapshot adds an element of risk. He could heel it and shoot wide, perhaps giving the Laffs a chance to tie (unlikely here given a few seconds left, but still).

As you say, there are plenty of cleaner options to retaliate to the showboating. Not sure about Rielly's history, but I think this is worse than Perron/Zub situation, given how Rielly chased him down to give the crosscheck.

I'm guessing six games for Reilly. Weaksauce move on his part

• Cheers 1

I don't understand why folks are getting all butthurt over this

It's a goal regardless of he scores it, who cares? But I also don't give a shit if players go for Michigan's either

• Vintage 1