[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

Even when the Sabres are getting very good goaltending, they're still finding ways to lose.  And now the starter, Ukko Pekka Luukkonen is injured. I'm beginning to wonder if the losing mentality that was allowed to seep in after Terry Pegula bought the team in 2011 has just given the organization an endemic losing culture.

The players wanted to be here because when the word came out that the GM was going to start trading people in the offseason, the players let the GM and others know in no uncertain terms that they wanted to stay together.  So it can't be upset players.

How in the h*ll do you get rid of a losing culture that has entrenched itself for over a decade?!

• Huggy Bear 3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t follow the Sabres closely, but they seem like a team that should be struggling to prevent goals instead of scoring them.

The top two lines aren't doing as well they've been doing the last couple of seasons.

Dahlin started slow but has been doing well for some time now.

The goaltending has been inconsistent as usual, but when they are having their good stretches, it seems that the forwards all of a sudden decide to suck.

There's something wrong with the Sabres.  I wondered for years if it was the owner.  However things stayed the same with the Sabres after he bought an NFL team and they became his prized toy.  He had a misstep with them initially with the first couple of seasons but then found a very good GM and coach tandem that turned the Bills around.

He's more or less left the Sabres alone.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a coaching change between now and the off-season.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sabrefan1 said:

The top two lines aren't doing as well they've been doing the last couple of seasons.

Dahlin started slow but has been doing well for some time now.

The goaltending has been inconsistent as usual, but when they are having their good stretches, it seems that the forwards all of a sudden decide to suck.

There's something wrong with the Sabres.  I wondered for years if it was the owner.  However things stayed the same with the Sabres after he bought an NFL team and they became his prized toy.  He had a misstep with them initially with the first couple of seasons but then found a very good GM and coach tandem that turned the Bills around.

He's more or less left the Sabres alone.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a coaching change between now and the off-season.

Inconsistency is always a factor in the ongoing development of a young team.

I don't know if this applies to the Sabres, but I just read an article on Torts' thoughts

of a league filling up with 'brash young players.'  What he has to say is interesting. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/it-s-a-dumb-league-flyers-john-tortorella-shares-thoughts-on-young-nhlers/ar-BB1ikVVW

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Inconsistency is always a factor in the ongoing development of a young team.

I don't know if this applies to the Sabres, but I just read an article on Torts' thoughts

of a league filling up with 'brash young players.'  What he has to say is interesting. 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/it-s-a-dumb-league-flyers-john-tortorella-shares-thoughts-on-young-nhlers/ar-BB1ikVVW

I hope that's the issue but I'm getting concerned that there's something to the losing culture argument.  Or I could just be getting overly frustrated and I'm just beginning the whining stage of being a frustrated fan this season.  One or the other.

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Carolina's up 4-1 with a period to play, short of a collapse Arizona's losing streak is going to hit eight games

Just put the franchise out of it's misery already 

Doesn't Quebec have a fairly new arena?  I wouldn't mind seeing the Nordiques again. 

I still remember Rob Ray pummeling one of their fans when he ran up to the entire Sabres bench.

26 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Doesn't Quebec have a fairly new arena?  I wouldn't mind seeing the Nordiques again. 

I still remember Rob Ray pummeling one of their fans when he ran up to the entire Sabres bench.

It's been around for a while now, but yeah

Quebec is likely a backburner destination though, the league is probably more interested in untapped American markets than Quebec

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's been around for a while now, but yeah

Quebec is likely a backburner destination though, the league is probably more interested in untapped American markets than Quebec

I know.  There's been a huge push for Houston by some lately.

Here's a tidbit that most don't remember.  When the old Sabres owner put the team up for sale, the high bidder was someone who wanted to move the club into Canada (Hamilton). 

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Here's a tidbit that most don't remember.  When the old Sabres owner put the team up for sale, the high bidder was someone who wanted to move the club into Canada (Hamilton). 

I remember that. Jim Ballsillie was trying to get a franchise in Hamilton.

• Cheers 1

Can someone explain to me how the Penguins are not in playoff position despite having a pretty good Goal Differential?

Better than some teams that are in the playoffs spots including Tampa?

Edited by iinatcc

27 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Can someone explain to me how the Penguins are not in playoff position despite having a pretty good Goal Differential?

When they win they win big when they lose its only by a goal?

45 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

They've had a lot of shutouts. Jarry has 6, the back-up has 1 - most of those were 3/4-0, and even a 7-0 game.

Plus, they also put up 10 on the Sharks before the GM demanded they start playing defence.

11 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Jim Balsillie or however you spell it

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

The EK effect. 

13 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I hope that's the issue but I'm getting concerned that there's something to the losing culture argument.  Or I could just be getting overly frustrated and I'm just beginning the whining stage of being a frustrated fan this season.  One or the other.

BuffaLoL is stuck in Groundhog Day - yet another comically disappointing season.  Your team has no identity - they're not that tough, not that aggressive, not that skills-oriented.  Just a mishmash of raw, unrefined talent in the hope that it all comes together.  Time to fire Granato?

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kings already down 2 - doughnut to the B’s. 
Kings will fall out of the playoffs. They have serious locker room issues and selfish players who are cheating the game. 

Goalie interference on the second goal apparently.

Goalie interference has become so soft it’s ridiculous. 😂

I guarantee we’ll see that rule change in the playoffs too.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

BuffaLoL is stuck in Groundhog Day - yet another comically disappointing season.  Your team has no identity - they're not that tough, not that aggressive, not that skills-oriented.  Just a mishmash of raw, unrefined talent in the hope that it all comes together.  Time to fire Granato?

No elite guys. Should have traded Dahlin when they won the draft lottery (again) and got Power. Could have got a haul for Dahlin back then. Still might be able to get good return now, even with the big contract. It’s not a coaching issue there. It’s like we had with Bo; it’s a culture issue. Kind of like where the Sens are now. Sens and Sabres should do a deal of core pieces. 
Dahlin + Middlestadt for Stutzle + Chabot? 

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Time to fire Granato?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Granato is the only logical pin to be pulled because it's not the talent pool.

Can't blame the GM for this season.  The scouts are finding very good talent.  The owner hasn't been heavy handed since he bought the Bills in 2014 and his wife hasn't been running anything in the last 2-3 years since her heart failure/stroke.  That only leaves one senior member of staff.  The coach.