[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Can someone explain to me how the Penguins are not in playoff position despite having a pretty good Goal Differential?

Better than some teams that are in the playoffs spots including Tampa?

Great goaltending.

Top-end contributions.

And then...

Putrid depth.

Hot garbage powerplay.

So you get goals in bunches from the best players but zero consistency due to them icing a legion of scrubs.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No elite guys. Should have traded Dahlin when they won the draft lottery (again) and got Power. Could have got a haul for Dahlin back then. Still might be able to get good return now, even with the big contract. It’s not a coaching issue there. It’s like we had with Bo; it’s a culture issue. Kind of like where the Sens are now. Sens and Sabres should do a deal of core pieces. 
Dahlin + Middlestadt for Stutzle + Chabot? 

Dahlin has gotten much better since his slow start to this season.  Power is still learning proper NHL defense.

I don't know if it's culture or not.  The players asked for the group to stay together when the GM was considering trades in the off-season.  That's what's so frustrating.  Goaltending has been an issue for years upon years now, but when it's on an upswing this season, the forwards suddenly fall into a malaise. 

Olofsson is on the trading block after begging to stay in the off-season.  He's ridden the pine off and on and has seen his playtime decrease enough now that he's patiently waiting for a trade according to a new article.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Dahlin has gotten much better since his slow start to this season.  Power is still learning proper NHL defense.

I don't know if it's culture or not.  The players asked for the group to stay together when the GM was considering trades in the off-season.  That's what's so frustrating.  Goaltending has been an issue for years upon years now, but when it's on an upswing this season, the forwards suddenly fall into a malaise. 

Olofsson is on the trading block after begging to stay in the off-season.  He's ridden the pine off and on and has seen his playtime decrease enough now that he's patiently waiting for a trade according to a new article.

Sometimes one key move of a core piece can change the culture enough for the club to take the needed step. Dahlin is good, like Bo was good, but it might be time to move on and bring in a different piece that helps the team do better? 
Dahlin for Brady Tkatchuk? 

8 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I'm wondering the same thing.  Granato is the only logical pin to be pulled because it's not the talent pool.

Can't blame the GM for this season.  The scouts are finding very good talent.  The owner hasn't been heavy handed since he bought the Bills in 2014 and his wife hasn't been running anything in the last 2-3 years since her heart failure/stroke.  That only leaves one senior member of staff.  The coach.

I've never seen so much talent on one team do so little.  Injuries aside, nothing has meshed together.

With Tocchet, we know what to expect from Vancouver - fast, north-south breakouts, relentless forechecking and dominant O-zone pressure.  I don't know how describe Buffalo other than... they're really talented.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sometimes one key move of a core piece can change the culture enough for the club to take the needed step. Dahlin is good, like Bo was good, but it might be time to move on and bring in a different piece that helps the team do better? 
Dahlin for Brady Tkatchuk? 

Dumping Bo Horvat is not the reason we're doing so well this year.  It's our coaching.  Rick Tocchet has changed the culture of this team far more than trading Horvat for Hronek, more than promoting Hughes as captain, more than anything.  On the flip side, look at New York.  They fired their coach because of how many third period leads they squandered, as well as their anemic PK (one that Horvat barely even features on).  Look how hard Roy is ripping into players for their complacency right now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I've never seen so much talent on one team do so little.  Injuries aside, nothing has meshed together.

With Tocchet, we know what to expect from Vancouver - fast, north-south breakouts, relentless forechecking and dominant O-zone pressure.  I don't know how describe Buffalo other than... they're really talented.

Yeah it's frustrating.  I really thought they'd at least make the first round this year at the beginning since they only missed it by one win last year.

I agree.  The only reasonable move is the coach.

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Dumping Bo Horvat is not the reason we're doing so well this year.  It's our coaching.  Rick Tocchet has changed the culture of this team far more than trading Horvat for Hronek, more than promoting Hughes as captain, more than anything.  On the flip side, look at New York.  They fired their coach because of how many third period leads they squandered, as well as their anemic PK (one that Horvat barely even features on).  Look how hard Roy is ripping into players for their complacency right now.

And getting the right players in on good deals... 

Manament has done wonders...

22 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Yeah it's frustrating.  I really thought they'd at least make the first round this year at the beginning since they only missed it by one win last year.

I agree.  The only reasonable move is the coach.

"Never consider end-of-season momentum to be a guarantee that the team will break through to the next echelon"

• Vintage 1

Clarke is making an immediate impact, got the game winner for LA as well as an assist. Big two points over Boston. 

Dubois might be waking up too, a goal and three assists over his last four games now. 

Edited by Coconuts

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dahlin + Middlestadt for Tkatchuk + Chabot. 🤔

I like Dahlin but Ottawa would probably be better off not making that trade

In fact I'm not sure it'd solve either team's issues 

Dahlin is better than Chabot but Chabot is very good when healthy, Tkachuk is the more valuable forward though

The teams have similar issues though, defensive play and goaltending, although Buffalo actually fairs better in those areas, Ottawa's bled goals this season 

Ottawa has been the better offensive team this season

Ottawa's had coaching issues, Martin ain't a long-term solution, could be that coaching is a Buffalo issue too but I haven't really paid enough attention to be sure 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I like Dahlin but Ottawa would probably be better off not making that trade

In fact I'm not sure it'd solve either team's issues 

Dahlin is better than Chabot but Chabot is very good when healthy, Tkachuk is the more valuable forward though

The teams have similar issues though, an inability to keep pucks out of their net and goaltending 

Ottawa's had coaching issues, Martin ain't a long-term solution, could be that coaching is a Buffalo issue too but I haven't really paid enough attention to be sure 

Teams can make a change to their core (and leadership) that turns their club around. Avs moved on from Duchene. We moved on from Bo. Sabres and Sens need to change their cores’ culture. Maybe it’s Stutzle that needs to go? 
Stutzle + Sanderson for Tuch + Power?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Teams can make a change to their core (and leadership) that turns their club around. Avs moved on from Duchene. We moved on from Bo. Sabres and Sens need to change their cores’ culture. Maybe it’s Stutzle that needs to go? 
Stutzle + Sanderson for Tuch + Power?

Ain't no magic bullet though. I'd argue that changing the coaching staff has had a larger impact on team success than moving Horvat and bringing in Hronek, we largely have the same core we've had the past two seasons. 

We're also different in that we had a legit starter, even if Demko did struggle last season. Neither Buffalo or Ottawa is set in net. 

The first thing Ottawa needs to do is find a coaching staff that can get more out of the players the have, in fact that's probably easier than trying to shuffle core players. They've got Korpisalo at 4M for another four seasons, unless they can move him out while bringing in an upgrade they're probably stuck with him. They may need to tweak how their defense is structured in terms of personnel, or alter their bottom six to make it more defense oriented. They have the horses to score goals, but they may be better off scoring a bit less while giving up less defensively. 

Buffalo has a talented group, they don't seem to have an answer in goal yet but they have talent throughout the lineup. For whatever reason they aren't scoring this season, and when they play well defensively they don't have the firepower to win games. Hard to know what the answer is there. 

Granato's locked up through the 25-26 season so its not as if he's got a longer-term deal. He'll probably get the 24-25 season to try and make the playoffs, dunno if he'll get the following season if they miss again though. 

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Granato's locked up through the 25-26 season so its not as if he's got a longer-term deal. He'll probably get the 24-25 season to try and make the playoffs, dunno if he'll get the following season if they miss again though. 

I would be moderately surprised if Granato is back next season.  The fans that are still going to the games have started booing again which definitely isn't a good look for the coaches.

I can't imagine the GM sticking his neck out for him and the players already wasted their shot this past off-season when they asked to stay together for another try. 

2 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I would be moderately surprised if Granato is back next season.  The fans that are still going to the games have started booing again which definitely isn't a good look for the coaches.

I can't imagine the GM sticking his neck out for him and the players already wasted their shot this past off-season when they asked to stay together for another try. 

Well, as far as coaches go he'd be on the cheaper side to fire, from what I can tell his extension pays a bit under 2M per 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Well, as far as coaches go he'd be on the cheaper side to fire, from what I can tell his extension pays a bit under 2M per 

Pegula was paying Rex Ryan 5 million per year for 3 years after he got fired from the Bills so Granato's 4 for 2 would seem pretty small to him in comparison.

He's fortunate that he escaped that giant Mike Babcock contract when in 2016 Babcock chose to take over the Leafs instead of the Sabres.

5 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Pegula was paying Rex Ryan 5 million per year for 3 years after he got fired from the Bills so Granato's 4 for 2 would seem pretty small to him in comparison.

He's fortunate that he escaped that giant Mike Babcock contract when in 2016 Babcock chose to take over the Leafs instead of the Sabres.

Should be a few teams looking for coaches, who do you think would fit the Sabres?