[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

I enjoy seeing the leafs walking the thin line of playoffs/no playoffs.

A few losses in the coming days will really pressure their defence and goaltending possibly leading to a collapse altogether. 

Episode 8 GIF by The Simpsons

Sheldon Keefe is on the hot seat. Laffs need a change just so that they can get a coaching bump to get them into the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With the help of 20 loser points 😂

Guess that helps.

True enough. But when the Islanders were winning all those cups, those 20 loser points were all called ties. I know the game has evolved and rules have changed but the value of a 60 minute effort has not. No “loser” points in my mind. There may be, more accurately, winner” points awarded these days but the sometimes farcical manner in which they are awarded devalue those “wins” in my mind.

Both 3 on 3 overtime and, particularly, shootout victories deserve our derision well before loser points do. 

• Cheers 2

The AHL All Star game is soo much more entertaining!

NHL needs to take notes. They do two 5 minutes periods and each team plays 3 games in a round robin. Such a smarter format. Hate the one and done of the NHL all star game.

Bains and the Pacific are about to play in the finals for anyone who’s interested.

3 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

I enjoy seeing the leafs walking the thin line of playoffs/no playoffs.

A few losses in the coming days will really pressure their defence and goaltending possibly leading to a collapse altogether. 

Episode 8 GIF by The Simpsons

They don't have  cup quality team or attitude. Too many guys happy to be making oodles of cash and being "buddies the bieb" vs competitors who want win a cup. The second Nylander got paid he went back to old Nylander, Marner is talented but if he and Matthews can't dance they don't score...I saw a play tonight where Matthews was playing as though it was shinny, and he got clobbered by one if the Isles big dmen behind the net....these guys are soft mentally.

I really didn't like seeing Petey becoming a fan boy with Beibs at the ASG. I hope he doesn't fall into the 'fame' trap. Its hard to resist as a young professional athlete making alot of money.

I am much happier with our team...I think we will get to a cup and potentially win it before them.

Edited by Bardown
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

They don't have  cup quality team or attitude. Too many guys happy to be making oodles of cash and being "buddies the bieb" vs competitors who want win a cup. The second Nylander got paid he went back to old Nylander, Marner is talented but if he and Matthews can't dance they don't score...I saw a play tonight where Matthews was playing as though it was shinny, and he got clobbered by one if the Isles big dmen behind the net....these guys are soft mentally.

I am much happier with our team...I think we will get to a cup and potentially win it before them.

100%

I believe coaching and management plays a huge role in the difference in the Vancouver and Toronto player mindsets and levels of compete. 

Tocchet and his cohorts have transformed this group from a disjointed,  less than inspired group of individuals to a singly focused, play for each other, find a way to win team. 

• Like 1