[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Should be a few teams looking for coaches, who do you think would fit the Sabres?

Honestly.  Our old assistant coach John Tortorella.  Although he won't be leaving the Flyers to join our sh*tshow of an organization.

My second choice would be Lindy Ruff, but he and the Devils are likely going to be together next season.

After those 2, I really have no preference.  I would like a no nonsense coach who knows how to win.  No players-first coaches.  This team needs discipline and structure, not coddling and group hugs.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Teams can make a change to their core (and leadership) that turns their club around. Avs moved on from Duchene. We moved on from Bo. Sabres and Sens need to change their cores’ culture. Maybe it’s Stutzle that needs to go? 
Stutzle + Sanderson for Tuch + Power?

As I previously said, you're completely missing the point if you think dumping Horvat was the reason this team has turned things around.  Nobody in Colorado thinks dumping Duchene is why they won the cup.  Nobody.  Except you maybe.

• Cheers 1

I don't like seeing Bedard win, but every Hawks win is good at this point. I really don't want to see them win the lottery again. If they somehow get 1OA picks in back to back years I'll be pissed. 

Hopefully Bedard can drag them up the standings, I'd much rather see a Cali team, Columbus, or Ottawa win lottery picks. Buffalo, Washington, and Calgary would also be acceptable. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

As I previously said, you're completely missing the point if you think dumping Horvat was the reason this team has turned things around.  Nobody in Colorado thinks dumping Duchene is why they won the cup.  Nobody.  Except you maybe.

Sure we were so much better with Horfat Wallet. Just like the Avs were so much better with Duchene. 🤣

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't like seeing Bedard win, but every Hawks win is good at this point. I really don't want to see them win the lottery again. If they somehow get 1OA picks in back to back years I'll be pissed. 

Hopefully Bedard can drag them up the standings, I'd much rather see a Cali team, Columbus, or Ottawa win lottery picks. Buffalo, Washington, and Calgary would also be acceptable. 

Are they allowed to now? Isn't there some new restriction? 

If Canucks do win the Western Conference I don't think I am confident Canucks can make it past round 1 if they are facing either LA or St. Louis. Both seem to be getting hot at the right time and I won't be surprised if this momentum carries into the playoffs. 

Part of me actually think they are better off surrendering the Pacific to Vegas in hopes they can face Edmonton in the 1st round. 

2 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Are they allowed to now? Isn't there some new restriction? 

This is what I was able to find, so they could theoretically win another lottery pick over the next four drafts 

The 2023 NHL Draft Lottery marked the second year for the implementation of a limit on how many times a team can win a lottery draw. No single team can advance in the draft order by reason of winning a Lottery Draw more than two times in any five-year period

https://records.nhl.com/draft/draft-lottery?view=draft-lottery-formats#:~:text=No single team can advance,in any five-year period.

• Cheers 1

You don't usually see Vasi get lit up, but Florida's up 4-1 after a period of hockey, Florida's on track to overtake a sliding Boston team as the top Eastern team 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Edmonton pulls a win out of their ass, but that extra points helps Dallas build their central division lead 

very weak call in OT against Dallas, considering what typically gets allowed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

very weak call in OT against Dallas, considering what typically gets allowed. 

Dallas should have probably won it

We're starting to see some teams pull away though, LA and Edmonton have been gathering points and if St. Louis can beat Nashville they'll have themselves a six point cushion with a game in hand 

Detroit's up 4-0 and should hand Calgary their third straight loss, they should slide further once they sell 

Seattle, Nashville, and Minnesota aren't out of yet but they'll need to decide whether they're sellers or not sooner than later 

Dallas should have probably won it

its kind of a lose-lose game for me, I hate both teams. Just seemed a bit on the weak side, but thats kind of what EDM gets imo. They seem to be able to whine their way into an extra call per game. 

We're starting to see some teams pull away though, LA and Edmonton have been gathering points and if St. Louis can beat Nashville they'll have themselves a six point cushion with a game in hand 

Detroit's up 4-0 and should hand Calgary their third straight loss, they should slide further once they sell 

Seattle, Nashville, and Minnesota aren't out of yet but they'll need to decide whether they're sellers or not sooner than later 

Yep Cowtown is toast after today, this is probably the last time we see Marky in Cowtown. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

its kind of a lose-lose game for me, I hate both teams. Just seemed a bit on the weak side, but thats kind of what EDM gets imo. They seem to be able to whine their way into an extra call per game. 

Yep Cowtown is toast after today, this is probably the last time we see Marky in Cowtown. 

Eh, I like Dallas, they play entertaining hockey 

I wouldn't be surprised if Marky stays or goes tbh, Wolf didn't look great against San Jose and I could see Calgary keeping Marky around to help bring him along 

Wolf is pegged as their goalie of the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marky stay for his last two seasons to help him out as he adapts to NHL hockey, particularly if the Flames are set on more of retool than a rebuild 

I could also see them selling high on him though 

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

If Canucks do win the Western Conference I don't think I am confident Canucks can make it past round 1 if they are facing either LA or St. Louis. Both seem to be getting hot at the right time and I won't be surprised if this momentum carries into the playoffs. 

Part of me actually think they are better off surrendering the Pacific to Vegas in hopes they can face Edmonton in the 1st round. 

Problem is, if we dropped to second.  That would mean we probably won't have home ice advantage for rounds 2-4.  

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Eh, I like Dallas, they play entertaining hockey 

I wouldn't be surprised if Marky stays or goes tbh, Wolf didn't look great against San Jose and I could see Calgary keeping Marky around to help bring him along 

Wolf is pegged as their goalie of the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see Marky stay for his last two seasons to help him out as he adapts to NHL hockey, particularly if the Flames are set on more of retool than a rebuild 

I could also see them selling high on him though 

I think NJ will figure it out and bring Marky in. 

RE: Dallas, thats funny, I find them really boring 😆  Benn has to be one of the more overrated players in the league. Ah well, big tent and all that. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think NJ will figure it out and bring Marky in. 

RE: Dallas, thats funny, I find them really boring 😆  Benn has to be one of the more overrated players in the league. Ah well, big tent and all that. 

Benn's been better this season, like last season 

I think him and Seguin have benefitted a lot from not having to be the top guys anymore 

Having Pavelski, Duchene, Robertson, and Hintz up front with them gives them a lot to work with too

Heiskanen is always dangerous, they look to have another good offensive D in Harley too 

Dallas is supposedly interested in Tanev too, they could be dangerous if they add him 

I think Jersey gets someone, not sure it's Marky, but they'll get someone 

6 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Problem is, if we dropped to second.  That would mean we probably won't have home ice advantage for rounds 2-4.  

True but at least you make it past the 1st round.

The Kings were on pace to win the President's Trophy until their slump. But now they are back to form, facing them will be like facing a 1st place team. 

Edited by iinatcc

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure we were so much better with Horfat Wallet. Just like the Avs were so much better with Duchene. 🤣

Only a complete idiot thinks dumping Horvat is the reason we are winning.  It takes someone truly stupid.