[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Benn's been better this season, like last season 

I think him and Seguin have benefitted a lot from not having to be the top guys anymore 

Having Pavelski, Duchene, Robertson, and Hintz up front with them gives them a lot to work with too

Heiskanen is always dangerous, they look to have another good offensive D in Harley too 

Dallas is supposedly interested in Tanev too, they could be dangerous if they add him 

I think Jersey gets someone, not sure it's Marky, but they'll get someone 

I do think Dallas will be a tough out. Whoever gets past them won't come out unscathed thats for sure. I guess I haven't forgiven them for the Sedin stuff. 

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You don't usually see Vasi get lit up, but Florida's up 4-1 after a period of hockey, Florida's on track to overtake a sliding Boston team as the top Eastern team 

vasi haven't been the same since his injury.. he's been very average this season.. Toronto might be on to something lol.. get that 1st wildcard seed instead of divisional seed and dodge florida tampa boston in the first 2 round assuming they get thru.. rangers carolina flyers is not as scary 

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it's more about blaming bo for the reason we ain't winning then saying moving bo not working out for us..

ah. Well, I don't miss his fly-by's. Nice fella tho. 

But the right choice was made, Hronek+ is a terrific swap for him. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it's more about blaming bo for the reason we ain't winning then saying moving bo not working out for us..

With Bo we sucked pucks. No Bo and we are best in the league. Changing a piece in the core can make a huge difference to a club’s culture. The Sens and Sabres need to dumperoo their Bo. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

With Bo we sucked pucks. No Bo and we are best in the league. Changing a piece in the core can make a huge difference to a club’s culture. The Sens and Sabres need to dumperoo their Bo. 

i'm sure it have nothing to do with changing 4 of the 6 players on defence

• Haha 1

Just now, Alflives said:

had Bo maybe had Tocc for longer, say when we got Green, maybe the culture would have been different? Or maybe some guys just don't that that snarl factor you need to put you over the top? dunno. One thing I haven't done this year is say, damn I wish Bo was there for a certain play or time of the game. Not trying to bash him, its just how it is. 

All I know if JR/PA have made things exciting again, and it appears we have a legit chance at something good. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

i'm sure it have nothing to do with changing 4 of the 6 players on defence

Culture of the core was changed. Hughes as the Captain. Miller, Petey, Demko as louder voices. The core sets the tone. Bo needed to go do a winning tone could be established. 
The Sens and Sabres need to do the same. Their lead loser needs to be moved out. I see those players as Dahlin and Chabot. 

• chaos 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I do think Dallas will be a tough out. Whoever gets past them won't come out unscathed thats for sure. I guess I haven't forgiven them for the Sedin stuff. 

I don't think the twins hold a grudge, I personally can't be bothered to. But yeah, you don't have to like either of them. 

If we met Dallas in the conference final for whatever reason they're a team that could beat us. They'll be a tough team for anyone to beat. 

Otter can steal them games, they're the highest scoring team in the league, one of the best faceoff teams, they're in the better half of the league when considering goals against (13th) but they're also one of the best PK teams in the league while being the team who takes the least amount of penalties. 

Their biggest weakness is arguably at RD, which is why Tanev makes so much sense. Bringing in Tanev would allow them to bump Hakanpaa down to their third pairing, which would improve their top 4 and their bottom pairing. 

This could also be Dallas's best chance to go "all-in". Benn, Seguin, and particularly Pavelski aren't getting any younger. Their forward depth looks very good, particularly once Dadonov comes back. I could see them giving Calgary a 1st for Tanev in all honesty. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

I don't think the twins hold a grudge, I personally can't be bothered to. But yeah, you don't have to like either of them. 

If we met Dallas in the conference final for whatever reason they're a team that could beat us. They'll be a tough team for anyone to beat. 

Otter can steal them games, they're the highest scoring team in the league, one of the best faceoff teams, they're in the better half of the league when considering goals against (13th) but they're also one of the best PK teams in the league while being the team who takes the least amount of penalties. 

Their biggest weakness is arguably at RD, which is why Tanev makes so much sense. Bringing in Tanev would allow them to bump Hakanpaa down to their third pairing, which would improve their top 4 and their bottom pairing. 

This could also be Dallas's best chance to go "all-in". Benn, Seguin, and particularly Pavelski aren't getting any younger. Their forward depth looks very good, particularly once Dadonov comes back. I could see them giving Calgary a 1st for Tanev in all honesty. 

for me the biggest reason is time, they've been a tight unit for so long now that their game probably comes pretty easily to them under pressure. Our guys don't know what they are yet in the post season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

for me the biggest reason is time, they've been a tight unit for so long now that their game probably comes pretty easily to them under pressure. Our guys don't know what they are yet in the post season. 

It's true, they've been considered a contender for at least a couple years now and aren't far removed from a cup final. 

Some folks point out the bubble for us, but that was four seasons ago now and doesn't really hold much bearing at this point imo. We don't know what this team is capable of come playoff time, it's a fresh slate, but the core is still relatively inexperienced. 

We could very easily go out in the first or second round, more than likely we'll have to lose in the playoffs for a while before going deep, most teams have to. But the only way to garner experience is to be in the mix. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

This isn't fucking basketball.  Hockey teams are bigger then just one guy earning $5M and leading the team in zero stats.  Anyone who thinks Horvat was the reason we failed last year, they are truly dumb AF hockey fans.

• Cheers 2

I think Tampa's days of being considered a true contender might be over, I know they're missing Sergachev and Jeanott but they may be sliding into dark horse territory 

They just don't have the overall team depth they had a few years back 

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

had Bo maybe had Tocc for longer, say when we got Green, maybe the culture would have been different? Or maybe some guys just don't that that snarl factor you need to put you over the top? dunno. One thing I haven't done this year is say, damn I wish Bo was there for a certain play or time of the game. Not trying to bash him, its just how it is. 

All I know if JR/PA have made things exciting again, and it appears we have a legit chance at something good. 

Not true.  We just gave up a solid package to acquire a 2nd line centre known for winning faceoffs and scoring goals on the PP.  Horvat was never really replaced until Lindholm came in.  Going 649 created a hole at 2C that required a trade to fill in.

Horvat's two-way play was overrated, but his ability to play the PP bumper was not.  We are using different techniques right now (ie. low rim release, high cycle scissor play) because we have tons of talent but not necessarily a proper bumper in a 1-3-1 PP.  

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think Tampa's days of being considered a true contender might be over, I know they're missing Sergachev and Jeanott but they may be sliding into dark horse territory 

They just don't have the overall team depth they had a few years back 

Vasy was rushed back.  Now they are the Oilers of yesteryear, with little depth and relying solely on their monstrous powerplay.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Vasy was rushed back.  Now they are the Oilers of yesteryear, with little depth and relying solely on their monstrous powerplay.

They go as Kucherov goes, Point, Hagel, and Stamkos are all productive but the gap between them and Kucherov is monstrous 

Maybe their depth shows better next season, but this season they've gotten precious little outside of their top six and the drop off after their top line is notable 

Spent a lot of picks, not a lot in the system, little in the way of cap flex and a Stamkos to re-up 

41 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Not true.  We just gave up a solid package to acquire a 2nd line centre known for winning faceoffs and scoring goals on the PP.  Horvat was never really replaced until Lindholm came in.  Going 649 created a hole at 2C that required a trade to fill in.

Horvat's two-way play was overrated, but his ability to play the PP bumper was not.  We are using different techniques right now (ie. low rim release, high cycle scissor play) because we have tons of talent but not necessarily a proper bumper in a 1-3-1 PP.  

How is my feeling on it not true? You're not my wife.

6 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Leafs are using the Ducks as a fleshlight at the moment.

Good for the Ducks though, every loss is a win at this point

They'll be in the mix for a lottery pick