[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure that helps all that much tbh, it's a losing culture right now.

Their core is very, very young. They've also been missing Zegras and Killorn most of the season. They have a few savvy vets such as Fowler, Henrique, Gudas, and Silfverburg, and some prime aged guys such as Terry, but they will largely go as their top young talent takes them. 

It's a rebuild, one that's taken longer than I thought it would, but a rebuild all the same. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Their core is very, very young. They've also been missing Zegras and Killorn most of the season. They have a few savvy vets such as Fowler, Henrique, Gudas, and Silfverburg, and some prime aged guys such as Terry, but they will largely go as their top young talent takes them. 

It's a rebuild, one that's taken longer than I thought it would, but a rebuild all the same. 

If I had to wager I'd put them closer to buffalo territory but I guess we'll see.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1

Matthews back to back game with hat trick. Tomorrow's tsn headlines will all be about how he deserves the Hart more than MacKinnon. Matthews is impressive as a goal scorer, but I still don't see the leafs as a serious contender. 

30 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How is my feeling on it not true? You're not my wife.

I mean sure, you can feel whatever way you want, but the team objectively felt the need to acquire a 2C, and we haven't really had one since Horvat left.  It's not like Lindholm replaced anyone currently on our roster right now.

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I mean sure, you can feel whatever way you want, but the team objectively felt the need to acquire a 2C, and we haven't really had one since Horvat left.  It's not like Lindholm replaced anyone currently on our roster right now.

But that was also a depth move as much as need, we were top of the league already.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But that was also a depth move as much as need, we were top of the league already.

I mean sure, we were 1st in the league before his arrival.  But Elias Lindholm is a legitimate top six player and has a skillet fairly similar to what we had in Bo Horvat.

Do I miss Bo Horvat?  Hardly - I don't think you'll find anyone here who does.  But that doesn't validate what Alf is trying to say.  One player earning $5M on a second line isn't the sole cause of success or failure the way he's trying to put it.  It's a purely idiotic assertion and it's surprising you agree with that assessment.

By the way, if you think Lindholm is a depth player, we sure paid a lot for a depth piece.  And he's gonna get a boatload of money for just being a depth piece.  You are trying to downplay his value just so you can dismiss Horvat's value as a player.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Meanwhile Wright has 1 goal in his last 7 games in the AHL 

I'm glad he's proving haters wrong.  Especially some here who actively celebrated when he got injured.  Fucking classless.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The way I saw it, the management made their choice by signing JT instead of Bo.  That suggests

to me, that they decided that they had 2Cs in JT and Petey.  Nobody considered that the Nucks

would be looking to make a big playoff run back then.  The goal was to make it into the playoffs.

FF to today.  Most of the additions to the team during the offseason are paying off and the team

is looking like a contender.  I don't think they signed Lindy just because he was a C.  They liked

his offensive and defensive game, he could play the pp and the pk, he was great on f/os, is not

afraid of the grindy stuff and can play both C and RW.  Incredibly Flexible player.  Imo, it worked

out well for the team, as Lindy is a better player than Bo.

Peeps that think that Bo had anything to do with how crappy the Canucks were playing last

season should just stop and think.  Pretty much the entire team needed a swift kick in the arse

and be tuned in on accountability.  Tocc and the other coaches have reset the team and have

the players playing very good hockey.  The boys have bought in on the philosophy/systems

and have worked extremely hard.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

If I had to wager I'd put them closer to buffalo territory but I guess we'll see.

Buffalo has the pieces to be better than they are imo, Anaheim's youth are still too young 

This is part of why the Sens will not move Tkachuk and why I always chuckle a bit when folks propose any move that involves them trading him 

Like them or not, both brothers bring more than their production to the table, Brady in particular is a physical force

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

This is part of why the Sens will not move Tkachuk and why I always chuckle a bit when folks propose any move that involves them trading him 

Like them or not, both brothers bring more than their production to the table, Brady in particular is a physical force

Petey for Brady straight up?

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dom said:

21 year old 6'7 241lb Matt Rempe drops them with Matt Martin in his NHL debut and holds his own. 

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

People in the Met division are going to hate this guy if he sticks around.

• Like 2

Dobson's evolution has been nuts, up to 57 points with a couple periods to play. He's been about a 50 point RD the last couple seasons, this season he could hit 70, maybe 80 if he gets red hot. 

Due for a sizeable raise from his current 4M after next season.

27 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

People in the Met division are going to hate this guy if he sticks around.

Are we headed back to where every club has a knuckle dragging face puncher who plays less than 5 minutes?

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Rags really miss Chytil, their depth really isn't as good without him

They also lost Wheeler for the season. 

I don't see Rangers going deep this yr.