[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are we headed back to where every club has a knuckle dragging face puncher who plays less than 5 minutes?

Either that or get Dakota to fight then gets injured for weeks.  

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They also lost Wheeler for the season. 

I don't see Rangers going deep this yr. 

They did, he was cost effective depth

Chytil really helped drive their youth line last season though, they're missing having him as a 3c and they could really use one

I thought they'd nab Monahan but Winnipeg beat em to it

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are we headed back to where every club has a knuckle dragging face puncher who plays less than 5 minutes?

Nah, teams want players who can play while bringing that as part of their toolbox

The traditional enforcer like Reaves is almost gone from the league and I doubt that role will come back 

Edited by Coconuts

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nah, teams want players who can play while bringing that as part of their toolbox

The traditional enforcer like Reaves is almost gone from the league and I doubt that role will come back 

Toronto is 4-2 since Reaves came back. They are also 2-0 without Rielly. 

I don’t think the true enforcer is coming back. But I think teams still need some pushback. Especially in the playoffs when the whistles go away. 

Wish we had more pushback in 2011. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Toronto is 4-2 since Reaves came back. They are also 2-0 without Rielly. 

I don’t think the true enforcer is coming back. But I think teams still need some pushback. Especially in the playoffs when the whistles go away. 

Wish we had more pushback in 2011. 

Eh, I credit the rest of the Leafs for that more than Reaves. He's relatively useless out there. 

And sure, that's why I said teams want players who provide pushback as part of their toolbox. The one dimensional enforcer role is almost dead, that doesn't mean teams don't want guys who are willing to mix it up on their team, they just don't usually want players who only bring that attribute. 

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Then why is this monster knuckle dragging face puncher out there? Seems like the Raggedy Andy’s brought in a goon. Now other clubs will be collecting face punchers from the minor pro leagues. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then why is this monster knuckle dragging face puncher out there? Seems like the Raggedy Andy’s brought in a goon. Now other clubs will be collecting face punchers from the minor pro leagues. 

They brought him up to answer for Mike Martin, who would be going around trying to stir up shit.  Rempe literally fought Martin right after the first drop of the puck. Now you won’t see Martin stirring up any shit the rest of the game. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's 21, ain't it a bit early to say all he can amount to is fighting? He could very well be a solid bottom six player. 

https://bluelinestation.com/2022/10/01/matt-rempe/

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They brought him up to answer for Mike Martin, who would be going around trying to stir up shit.  Rempe literally fought Martin right after the first drop of the puck. Now you won’t see Martin stirring up any shit the rest of the game. 

Martin (isn’t it Matt?) is actually a player. And if he was a knuckle dragging face puncher and the Rags brought in a goon to fight him, that supports my point. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s wrong with the Rangers? They are losing (quite badly) to the lowly Islanders! Aren’t the Rangers a top club? 

??? They've won 6 in a row, going for 7 lol

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Martin (isn’t it Matt?) is actually a player. And if he was a knuckle dragging face puncher and the Rags brought in a goon to fight him, that supports my point. 

Yes Matt Martin. And yes your point is correct. Once Rempe took on Martin that was it. Martin only played 6 minutes. They didn’t need him other than to stir up shit.  Once Rempe gave Martin a few shots to the head Martin was pretty much done and his game was over. 

Guess if it was going in anyway and defending team knocks the net off, it's a goal.  Don't have problem with this.  But I'm sure if Nux scored, they would have called it no goal.   

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He's 21, ain't it a bit early to say all he can amount to is fighting? He could very well be a solid bottom six player. 

https://bluelinestation.com/2022/10/01/matt-rempe/

No he’s pretty much a face puncher. That’s it. If he couldn’t do that he wouldn’t be playing today. He did his job. Face punched Martin to the point where Martin became irrelevant and only played 6 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the Quinn Hughes draft was held now Dahlin goes as the fourth D?

Hughes

Dobson

Bouchard

Dahlin

There's no way you seriously think Dahlin should go lower than a guy who belongs in the ECHL and likely always will.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1