[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

forty to fifty year old guys are not going to appriciate this much..🤣

Hey, I'm 76 and I did an hour on the ice with my grandson's school class skate. My first time on skates in about 5 years.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What happened? A Sabre player said something against the fans? Buffalo is a good hockey town. 

My guess is that a Sabre fan made that.  People are fed up with how bad the Sabres as an organization have been.  Through this streak of futility, they've actually had good teams.  The organization just can't get it's act together all at once.  Look at Eichel.  He leaves the Sabres and within 2 years he's the main catalyst that drove his team to hoisting the Stanley Cup.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What happened? A Sabre player said something against the fans? Buffalo is a good hockey town. 

There was a report going around that the Sabres stopped giving post-game salutes because they were pissed at the fans over "Fire Don" chants.

Sabres players: "They should be happy about this season!"

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

My guess is that a Sabre fan made that.  People are fed up with how bad the Sabres as an organization have been.  Through this streak of futility, they've actually had good teams.  The organization just can't get it's act together all at once.  Look at Eichel.  He leaves the Sabres and within 2 years he's the main catalyst that drove his team to hoisting the Stanley Cup.

I remember the great “French Connection” line (Perrault, Robert, Martin) and how the fans would chant the number of goals (which usually was a lot) and then add: “we want more!”. Fans are really good there, that’s for sure. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There was a report going around that the Sabres stopped giving post-game salutes because they were pissed at the fans over "Fire Don" chants.

I’m thinking their core gets some “adjustments” around the coming draft. Got to reward their fans with hope for a better future. Not too sure who to move on from though that would change the culture while returning the necessary parts to turn the club’s on ice play? Power would return a haul but he’s not really leading their current core. 

25 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Then the Sabres should play harder if they don't want to hear things that they don't like as well and want to keep their coach.  Some nights it seems like they have given up.

How many more empty seats do they want to play in front of?  Ask for a trade out of town if fans wanting people to do their job better is too much for you to hear.  Go to a Canadian team and suck this bad.  I'm sure they wouldn't boo or want people fired.  🙄

They should be thankful that they are in a small city.  They'd be getting it 10x harder if they were in NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc.

I haven't been to a game myself for some time because they frustrate me to no end.  I used to take joy in going to games occasionally when they were sucking less.  I haven't even bothered going to one in some time now. 

I won't ever boo them, I just won't give them my money for an inferior product.  Those thousands of empty seats in the arena can keep collecting dust for all I care.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m thinking their core gets some “adjustments” around the coming draft. Got to reward their fans with hope for a better future. Not too sure who to move on from though that would change the culture while returning the necessary parts to turn the club’s on ice play? Power would return a haul but he’s not really leading their current core. 

Olofsson is as good as gone.  He begged to stay for this season, but now he has even said that he knows he's being shopped. 

Management told Mittelstadt that they aren't shopping him but I have no idea how they are going to keep him and fit him in the cap with other needs that the team has. 

Power has been improving every season and he just signed a 7 year team-friendly contract a few months ago so he's here for the long haul.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember the great “French Connection” line (Perrault, Robert, Martin) and how the fans would chant the number of goals (which usually was a lot) and then add: “we want more!”. Fans are really good there, that’s for sure. 

I remember when Perreault "retired" and came back the next season anyways to play 20 games so he could claim and qualify for the newly negotiated retirement benefits.  He was still very good and was scoring well at the time, but he was just done with the game and wanted to go back home and live his life.

• Vintage 1

On 2/19/2024 at 12:44 PM, Miss Korea said:

Just read the Mike Harrington article from yesterday.  I can't see this ending well.  The poison has been introduced.

I miss reading the Sunday sports page one time and this happens... 😬

*edit* Mods, I think the Buffalo News is paywalled.  I'll come back and delete the article text in a day or two.  *Deleted a couple days later than intended*

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/buffalo-sabres-nhl-don-granato-columbus-blue-jackets-toronto-maple-leafs/article_97abb70c-cc5a-11ee-8ab4-1f71e58cc14c.html

Edited by Sabrefan1
  • Thanks 1

I know the Sabres are struggling this season but the Ducks sure can be plucky at times

They'd get a good price for either of Vatrano or Henrique, but I can't help but wonder whether they shouldn't just try to retain one or both of them

Tough call, they'd certainly be selling high

Henrique likely goes, I wonder if they won't extend Vatrano though 

32 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Olofsson is as good as gone.  He begged to stay for this season, but now he has even said that he knows he's being shopped. 

Management told Mittelstadt that they aren't shopping him but I have no idea how they are going to keep him and fit him in the cap with other needs that the team has. 

Power has been improving every season and he just signed a 7 year team-friendly contract a few months ago so he's here for the long haul.

Besides the date of entry to the NHL, the Nucks and Sabres are also amongst the least successful

franchises in the NHL.  Recently, the Sabres are in their 12th season (soon to be 13th) of not

qualifying for a playoff spot.  The Canucks have 7 DNQs interrupted by a 'bubble playoff' spot.

Lucky for Nuck fans, the dismal past seems to be diminishing and the days ahead look brighter.

It's obvious that the Sabres have been in a position to recruit some great players in the draft,

but I would argue that they have also made solid selections outside the top 10.  In the last

12 drafts, they have picked 11 in the first and 8 in the 2nd (and beyond) that have make the

NHL.  At the moment, the Sabres have 9 of these picks on their roster; with the bulk of them

under 23yrs old.  They have also acquired 2 (under 22yrs) in trades and their prospect pool is

still an enviable group of young players as well.

Could it be that the team's drafting has created a larger than normal group of young

players that are still learning the NHL game?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Would moving on from Olofsson and Middlestadt be enough to change the culture of the core? 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Could it be that the team's drafting has created a larger than normal group of young

players that are still learning the NHL game?

That has a lot to do with it sure, but the frustration is with the franchise as a whole.  The Sabres have had playoff calibre teams a few times during the drought yet the teams continually under-perform and the fans are tired of it.

Edited by Sabrefan1

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would moving on from Olofsson and Middlestadt be enough to change the culture of the core? 

It's not the core that's the problem.  They're all too young to judge in that regard.  They're still learning.

The problem is that something in the organization is hurting the product year after year.

The players can be as upset at the fans as they want to be and throw all of the temper tantrums in the world.  They're doing exactly what teams of years past have done, they're underachieving after a season where they only just missed the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

That has a lot to do with it sure, but the frustration is with the franchise as a whole.  The Sabres have had playoff calibre teams a few times during the drought yet the teams continually under-perform and the fans are tired of it.

Incredibly frustrating for the fans.  So much potential there, but they never seem to elevate their craft.

I wonder if a coach similar to Tocc could get them going, or, would the brass support such a coach. 

They certainly have the assets for a savvy GM to come in a reset the team.  I think it would have to

be a drastic change, much like the huge swapping out of the former staff.

Right now, it sounds like the entire organization is floating around in a void, without a consistent

team philosophy or game plan.