[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

16 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Cousins doing Cousins things.  Epic dive.

There is no questioning the Panthers are a strong team that nobody will want to face in the playoffs.  But my goodness are they a bunch a dirty shitbags.  Every whistle there's a combination of Tkachuk, Bennett and Cousins getting into unnecessary scrums, with Cousins always trying to jostle with the weakest non-fighter on the ice.  The Canucks were fortunate to have faced these guys so early in the season.

Yeah, I get it - playoff intensity, etc.  They are such a hateable team.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

There is no questioning the Panthers are a strong team that nobody will want to face in the playoffs.  But my goodness are they a bunch a dirty shitbags.  Every whistle there's a combination of Tkachuk, Bennett and Cousins getting into unnecessary scrums, with Cousins always trying to jostle with the weakest non-fighter on the ice.  The Canucks were fortunate to have faced these guys so early in the season.

Yeah, I get it - playoff intensity, etc.  They are such a hateable team.

Until they play the Bruins or Leafs :classic_wink:

18 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Until they play the Bruins or Leafs :classic_wink:

Hehe.  Team of destiny.  They lost their way into the postseason and qualified on the very last day... only because of Pittsburgh's epic collapse.  I still remember the Pens losing to Chicago and Columbus in their final games and failing in catastrophic fashion.

And in only one week, Boston went from this:

image.png.2888c1774720e949917225115f1bb8ff.png

To this - pure shell shock:

image.png.944334046b390b8e69bd388f6e312b6f.png

The entire Eastern conference completely and utterly choked in the face of Florida and that 22-23 narrative is one I won't forget for some time.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Cheers 1

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/mike-bossy-auction-stanley-cup-rings-htp9sz29

Mike Bossy’s first two Stanley Cup rings set records this past weekend as the most valuable Cup rings ever sold at auction, according to Heritage Auctions, which sold the rings at its Winter Platinum Night Sports Auction.

Bossy’s 1980 Islanders championship ring brought $222,000. Then his 1981 ring surpassed it at $228,000.

His daughter Josiane recently told Newsday that she decided to sell her half of the memorabilia she inherited from her father, who died of lung cancer in April 2022, but that her sister Tanya opted to keep hers. Tanya has her father’s ’82 and ’83 rings.

The next-most-expensive item among the 144 in the Bossy collection was a signed, game-worn Islanders jersey from the 1983-84 season that sold for $49,200.

“As much as he was the best dad he could be, when I look at the hockey things, I think it really belongs to the people who love hockey and who love him for the hockey player he was,” Josiane said.

“That’s why I thought it would be best to get it to fans or collectors or people that would see the value of it.”

The biggest-ticket item in the auction also was hockey-related. The only known sealed case of 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee cards, including Wayne Gretzky’s first card as an Edmonton Oiler, sold for $3.72 million.

“We knew from the moment we heard this O-Pee-Chee case existed that it would get the attention of hockey card collectors worldwide,” Chris Ivy, Heritage’s director of sports auctions, said in a news release.

“Those hockey collectors played an integral part in the success of this Winter Platinum Night event with world record results achieved for both the O-Pee-Chee case as well as the Mike Bossy collection.”

Edited by Coconuts