[GDT] Around the NHL [February 2024]

8 hours ago, Darius said:

IMHO Vegas is still the team I fear most out of the west.  They locked down the coil and they were playing without 3-4 top players including their top C and D man.

They are a complete team. I see a lot of what they are starting to show in the Canucks. Not there yet, but starting. It’s the culture that drives them…along with great decision making. Hopefully PA/JR are smart, and make the decisions to be that perennial team too

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok David Attenborough.  This isn't a hill I'm gonna die on, but check out bears vs wolves at Yellowstone.  It happens all the time.

Lol David Attenborough... haha. Love it.. 

The Druid pack is my favorite pack from Yellowstone.. i think theyre the favorite pack of a lot of people around the world who love wolves..They're all dead now..  

I love wolves. Seen all the wolves documentaries I can find..

Did you know the Yellowstone wolves were reintroduced to the area. They took some wolves from Jasper Alberta and re introduced them to the Yellowstone park around 20 years ago. Huge success.. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Lol David Attenborough... haha. Love it.. 

The Druid pack is my favorite pack from Yellowstone.. i think theyre the favorite pack of a lot of people around the world who love wolves..They're all dead now..  

I love wolves. Seen all the wolves documentaries I can find..

Did you know the Yellowstone wolves were reintroduced to the area. They took some wolves from Jasper Alberta and re introduced them to the Yellowstone park around 20 years ago. Huge success.. 

Haha ok, you can be our CFF David Attenborough.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

it'll be interesting so they only charged him more in 2018 but not 2019 and onward?.. if tavares loses this.. i can see it being even harder to sign players for canadian teams in the future for players that doesn't live in canada. if the CRA wins and decides to change the wording of the on how a player qualifies for the 15% bracket on the signing bonus.. imagine if JT miller thought he's only going to get taxed 15% on his signing bonus each year.. but CRA decides to tax him 38%

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

it'll be interesting so they only charged him more in 2018 but not 2019 and onward?.. if tavares loses this.. i can see it being even harder to sign players for canadian teams in the future for players that doesn't live in canada. if the CRA wins and decides to change the wording of the on how a player qualifies for the 15% bracket on the signing bonus.. imagine if JT miller thought he's only going to get taxed 15% on his signing bonus each year.. but CRA decides to tax him 38%

Hard to say, I'm not gonna pretend I'm a tax expert, but my limited understanding tells me that it could make things trickier for Canadian teams going forward if the CRA gets what they want. 

But if the CRA is involved they're not gonna give a shit whether Tavares is a hockey player or not, they wont play favourites imo. There's also the question of what kind of legal precedent allowing Tavares to win such an appeal would set for other high income earners, but that's out of my scope of knowledge. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hard to say, I'm not gonna pretend I'm a tax expert, but my limited understanding tells me that it could make things trickier for Canadian teams going forward if the CRA gets what they want. 

But if the CRA is involved they're not gonna give a shit whether Tavares is a hockey player or not, they wont play favourites imo. There's also the question of what kind of legal precedent allowing Tavares to win such an appeal would set for other high income earners, but that's out of my scope of knowledge. 

What Tavares is doing is nothing new. The point of contest here I believe is what they are determining for Tavares is what country is he considered to be residing. If he’s residing in the US he should be taxed only 15% on the signing bonus based on the us/canada tax treaty. He was residing in the us when he was paid so they are arguing that shouldn’t count towards his income when residing in Canada I think he eventually moved to Canada in September. If CRA decides they don’t care where you live you are getting taxed the full amount in Canada that will for sure handcuff Canadian team even more especially in signing non Canadian players. 

19 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I'm ok with this

No supplemental discipline for this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/flames-pospisil-will-not-face-supplemental-discipline-for-cross-checking-marchand/ar-BB1hVvWK?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b374349619344a278ea4a5fa5c9a2a32&ei=24

The league has decided (and rightly so) that it's okay to cross-check Brad Marchand in the face....

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/flames-pospisil-will-not-face-supplemental-discipline-for-cross-checking-marchand/ar-BB1hVvWK?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=b374349619344a278ea4a5fa5c9a2a32&ei=24

The league has decided (and rightly so) that it's okay to cross-check Brad Marchand in the face....

mad city fox GIF by Gotham

• Cheers 1

Damn - Jack Edwards really needs to retire.  Apparently he's getting treated for cancer, and I believe he suffered a stroke maybe a couple years ago?  In any case, even Bruins fans have been noticing his decline and are seriously concerned for his health.

I usually catch the streams of the opposing team ( 🏴‍☠️ ) so I'll probably watch the NESN feed tomorrow.  If anyone's curious, I'll share my thoughts later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

mad city fox GIF by Gotham

GM Conroy: "Well done Martin here's a fat raise for your troubles"

• Haha 1