★[GDT] 2024 All Stars Weekend Feb 1-3

Must be weird to have to play nicely together all weekend then go back to war against one another the following week.

Honestly, I feel this crap should happen in the off season (for those who want to attend). It's just weird to me. I don't want our guys schmoozing with the enemy. Which is why I love what Demko did (for whatever reason it happened). 

Teaming up with other guys during the season? Hell no.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sativika said:

I've not gone out of my way to view the AS Weekends the past few years. Got out of hand with all that non hockey related mumbo jumbo. I get that they've been wanting to boost up the entertainment  value, but to me it was more than bordering on the absurd. The AS Weekend in Vegas was the worst. Sooooo bad!!!!

I'm glad to see that it kinda' went back to the stock, no options layout. The Draft part of it seemed a bit disheveled. Too many peeps talking at once. Other than Buble and Arnett, the other two Bieber and that chick were useless. At least Bub and Arn gave us some entertainment. And Bieb's jacket? WTF?!!????

I thought the inclusion of the PWHL gals in a 3 on 3 challenge was pretty good. Good hockey, good entertainment, and good PR for the PWHL. After viewing PWHL games it was great to see their stars all together. That Swiss chick, Alina Muller was a playmaking fool. Was impressed!

I really liked the return of the old school format for the skills competition. None of that off ice sh*t or stupid razzle dazzle costumes and novelty shoot outs. F*ckin' hated that crap. Just back to basics and a real show of skill. Though it needs a little tweaking, but all in all a good entertaining night of skills and seemingly fun for all. (Perhaps not for Kuch though!)

The events outside of the arena; meet and greets, autograph signings, family style events, free swag, good eats,  and such. Nuthin' else. I believe and hope that's what they did. Should be that way.

The AS Gameday? I thought it was pretty damn good. Pretty competitive games. Perhaps with a cool million bucks to be had was a motivating factor, but if that was why the games were more competitive, I'm all for it.

Did the PWHL gals get a pay check for their efforts? Does anyone know? I'm guessing it wasn't a cool mil, or the six figures the NHL goalies won, but...............

- High point? RT with his goal scoring predictions in Brady and Frankie. 

- Low point. Well, for me it was that chick performer. I'm an oldster and quite honestly never heard of her or her music. And as I mentioned earlier; useless as a celebrity coach. 

I mean come on. NHL has money. The Grey Cup had Green Day. The NHL ASG shoulda' had a higher profile artist. But, whatever. I digress...........

Let's get back to some Canucks hockey already!!!!!!!!! Tuesday Feb. 6 vs the Canes. Be there or be square!

Go new look Canucks, Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best thing the NHL could do is ACTUALLY take the fastest skaters around the league, the guys with the hardest shots, etc to go to the all star weekend specifically for the skills portion.  I'm sure there's guys in this league that can shoot the puck harder and skate faster than most of the guys that were competing at the skills this weekend.

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok I hate the Bruins, but Pasta is a frigging beauty lmao

I love this....hilarious.

Good to know others are thinking the same thing that we are. F the Leafs.

• Cheers 1

Teams used to hold individual super skills to determine who'd represent them at the event. Or at least I think that's how it worked.

We used to go every year, was awesome. For those who maybe can't afford tickets for the entire family to go to a game, it was a good chance for everyone to get into the action. 

I remember going to the one where Luc & Burr were pied as rookies. Watching the fun they were having together that day...we became instant fans. Will always be a special event to me...not sure why we don't get a team skills deal anymore. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Teams used to hold individual super skills to determine who'd represent them at the event. Or at least I think that's how it worked.

We used to go every year, was awesome. For those who maybe can't afford tickets for the entire family to go to a game, it was a good chance for everyone to get into the action. 

I remember going to the one where Luc & Burr were pied as rookies. Watching the fun they were having together that day...we became instant fans. Will always be a special event to me...not sure why we don't get a team skills deal anymore. 

They used to do super skills, but I don't remember seeing the results of those events actually translating to all star weekend though.  Would like to see that happen.  Would make it a lot more interesting if some random dude on San Jose was the fastest skater and some random dude in Columbus had the hardest shot.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Must be weird to have to play nicely together all weekend then go back to war against one another the following week.

Honestly, I feel this crap should happen in the off season (for those who want to attend). It's just weird to me. I don't want our guys schmoozing with the enemy. Which is why I love what Demko did (for whatever reason it happened). 

Also disagree with holding this during what is typically the peak of cold, flu and respiratory illness season. I saw an awful lot of hand shaking, hugging, and in close interviewing over arena noise. People from all across the continent travelling in nasty commercial ( public) aircraft environments. Just an invitation to have players come down ill and spread it amongst their team mates at a critical time in the season. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Also disagree with holding this during what is typically the peak of cold, flu and respiratory illness season. I saw an awful lot of hand shaking, hugging, and in close interviewing over arena noise. People from all across the continent travelling in nasty commercial ( public) aircraft environments. Just an invitation to have players come down ill and spread it amongst their team mates at a critical time in the season. 

When Demko did the snub walk by I actually thought of this. Maybe he's avoiding getting too close for those very reasons. 

It's so dumb to hold this "party" during the season and right before playoffs are on the horizon. 

Demko: "it's a trap"

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sativika said:

I've not gone out of my way to view the AS Weekends the past few years. Got out of hand with all that non hockey related mumbo jumbo. I get that they've been wanting to boost up the entertainment  value, but to me it was more than bordering on the absurd. The AS Weekend in Vegas was the worst. Sooooo bad!!!!

I'm glad to see that it kinda' went back to the stock, no options layout. The Draft part of it seemed a bit disheveled. Too many peeps talking at once. Other than Buble and Arnett, the other two Bieber and that chick were useless. At least Bub and Arn gave us some entertainment. And Bieb's jacket? WTF?!!????

I thought the inclusion of the PWHL gals in a 3 on 3 challenge was pretty good. Good hockey, good entertainment, and good PR for the PWHL. After viewing PWHL games it was great to see their stars all together. That Swiss chick, Alina Muller was a playmaking fool. Was impressed!

I really liked the return of the old school format for the skills competition. None of that off ice sh*t or stupid razzle dazzle costumes and novelty shoot outs. F*ckin' hated that crap. Just back to basics and a real show of skill. Though it needs a little tweaking, but all in all a good entertaining night of skills and seemingly fun for all. (Perhaps not for Kuch though!)

The events outside of the arena; meet and greets, autograph signings, family style events, free swag, good eats,  and such. Nuthin' else. I believe and hope that's what they did. Should be that way.

The AS Gameday? I thought it was pretty damn good. Pretty competitive games. Perhaps with a cool million bucks to be had was a motivating factor, but if that was why the games were more competitive, I'm all for it.

Did the PWHL gals get a pay check for their efforts? Does anyone know? I'm guessing it wasn't a cool mil, or the six figures the NHL goalies won, but...............

- High point? RT with his goal scoring predictions in Brady and Frankie. 

- Low point. Well, for me it was that chick performer. I'm an oldster and quite honestly never heard of her or her music. And as I mentioned earlier; useless as a celebrity coach. 

I mean come on. NHL has money. The Grey Cup had Green Day. The NHL ASG shoulda' had a higher profile artist. But, whatever. I digress...........

Let's get back to some Canucks hockey already!!!!!!!!! Tuesday Feb. 6 vs the Canes. Be there or be square!

Go new look Canucks, Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, but that knocking surf boards over on the beach was pretty damn bad. This years was pretty good as far as All *tar weekends go. The entertainment portion of the event could have been improved A LOT!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Agreed. This event is so stupid. Do it in summer, but not right in the time when it starts to count. The schedule in February is really tough. I hope Cancuks are all healthy and in a good mood. GCG. 

• Cheers 1