★[GDT] 2024 All Stars Weekend Feb 1-3

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

I know some don't like that team captains picked all their own team mates, like Canucks and Leafs, but why not? I'll tune in more knowing I get to watch our favourite players play together in such a fun relaxed atmosphere.  Take more chances, and trick plays they normally wouldn't do, and with teammates they know tendencies already.   Same reason I really wanted to watch the Sedins on the same team when they did the draft last time, but they were separated.

First All Star weekend for a few years that I'm actually interested in.

As long as they don’t get any bad habits when they return from this circus. Wouldn’t that be something if Rick Tocchet has them playing their 3-on-3 as hard as a regular season game, hitting, gloves-in-face, taking no s#!t, maybe getting benched if they’re dogging it instead of playing a 200 foot game?

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17676

NEW YORK/TORONTO (Feb. 2, 2024) – The National Hockey League (NHL) and National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) today announced a new event for the 2024-25 NHL season: the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off, which will feature international tournament play between NHL Players from Canada, Finland, Sweden and the United States. The 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will take place in February 2025 in two North American cities – one in Canada and one in the United States. NHL All-Star Weekend will not be held in the 2024-25 season.

The 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will consist of a total of seven games played over a nine-day period from Feb. 12 to 20, along with two designated training/practice days (Feb. 10 and Feb. 11)

Each team will be comprised of 23 NHL Players (20 skaters, 3 goalies) selected by each National Association: Hockey Canada, Finnish Ice Hockey Association, Swedish Ice Hockey Association and USA Hockey. Players must be under an NHL contract for the 2024-25 season and on an NHL roster as of Dec. 2, 2024. All roster announcement dates will be made by the NHL and NHLPA, with each of the participating National Associations selecting its initial six players this summer, prior to selecting its complete rosters later in the year.

All games in the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will be played in accordance with NHL rules. Each team will play three tournament games in a traditional Round Robin format, under the following points system: 3 points for a win in regulation time; 2 points for a win in overtime/shootout; 1 point for a loss in overtime/shootout; and 0 points for a loss in regulation time. The two teams with the best tournament record will then advance to a one-game Final. The overtime format for Round Robin games will be three-on-three sudden death for a 10-minute period, followed by a three-round shootout. The overtime format for the one-game Final will be full strength sudden death through successive 20-minute periods until one team scores.

Today’s announcement was made from the 2024 NHL All-Star Weekend at a news conference featuring NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, NHLPA Executive Director Marty Walsh and NHL All-Stars Connor McDavid, Sebastian Aho, Elias Pettersson and Auston Matthews.

Additional details for the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will be announced when available. Fans can sign up to receive information and updates at https://www.nhl.com/events/2025-nhl-4-nations-face-off

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

This all star crap is next level cringe 

I felt last year in Vegas was worse.

For some reason, I'm loving this year (obviously a lot to do with having so many players involved).

When the deal was here I was also really into it.

They could do a lot better for sure...but I love that Buble's our guy and I'm looking forward to the Skills and the game. (Get to wfh this afternoon so that lined up nicely).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17676

NEW YORK/TORONTO (Feb. 2, 2024) – The National Hockey League (NHL) and National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) today announced a new event for the 2024-25 NHL season: the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off, which will feature international tournament play between NHL Players from Canada, Finland, Sweden and the United States. The 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will take place in February 2025 in two North American cities – one in Canada and one in the United States. NHL All-Star Weekend will not be held in the 2024-25 season.

The 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will consist of a total of seven games played over a nine-day period from Feb. 12 to 20, along with two designated training/practice days (Feb. 10 and Feb. 11)

Each team will be comprised of 23 NHL Players (20 skaters, 3 goalies) selected by each National Association: Hockey Canada, Finnish Ice Hockey Association, Swedish Ice Hockey Association and USA Hockey. Players must be under an NHL contract for the 2024-25 season and on an NHL roster as of Dec. 2, 2024. All roster announcement dates will be made by the NHL and NHLPA, with each of the participating National Associations selecting its initial six players this summer, prior to selecting its complete rosters later in the year.

All games in the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will be played in accordance with NHL rules. Each team will play three tournament games in a traditional Round Robin format, under the following points system: 3 points for a win in regulation time; 2 points for a win in overtime/shootout; 1 point for a loss in overtime/shootout; and 0 points for a loss in regulation time. The two teams with the best tournament record will then advance to a one-game Final. The overtime format for Round Robin games will be three-on-three sudden death for a 10-minute period, followed by a three-round shootout. The overtime format for the one-game Final will be full strength sudden death through successive 20-minute periods until one team scores.

Today’s announcement was made from the 2024 NHL All-Star Weekend at a news conference featuring NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, NHLPA Executive Director Marty Walsh and NHL All-Stars Connor McDavid, Sebastian Aho, Elias Pettersson and Auston Matthews.

Additional details for the 2025 NHL 4 Nations Face-Off will be announced when available. Fans can sign up to receive information and updates at https://www.nhl.com/events/2025-nhl-4-nations-face-off

-One US and one Canadian city.  Let me guess, Toronto or Montreal?

EDIT: Boston and Montreal announced. 

-A bit less competitive without Russia and Czechia.  

-Lot of games in Feb.  Nux gonna have lot of players in that tournament (EP, ?Lindholm, Hogs?, Demko, QH, JT, ?BB, Garland).

-initial 6 players will be selected and announced next summer. 

-EP was there during the press conference to represent Swedish players. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

-One US and one Canadian city.  Let me guess, Toronto or Montreal?

-A bit less competitive without Russia and Czechia.  

-Lot of games in Feb.  Nux gonna have lot of players in that tournament (EP, ?Lindholm, Hogs?, Demko, QH, JT, ?BB, Garland).

-initial 6 players will be selected and announced next summer. 

-EP was there during the press conference to represent Swedish players. 

Imagine a star player getting hurt in that tournament... how hard are they really going to play?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Imagine a star player getting hurt in that tournament... how hard are they really going to play?

Hard to say.   Olympics I can see the players going all in.  It's a worthwhile medal to win. A 4 nations cup without Russia?

I think we can all agree that they will play harder than the ASG this weekend though. 

Just an opinion; Whatever, Leave the ALLSTAR game the way it is and that is enough.

This looks to be n the middle of a playoff race for 2025. Put me down for an I hate this !!!

Gotta edit. / This could potentially cause injuries AND, just leading up to the playoffs, which is 

what everything in NHL hockey is based on.

This format, tempers will flare up, players will go all out, risking injury, maybe even to an NHL team mate? This is as dumb as it gets

Players play, barring trades, with the same guys all year, striving to get to the playoffs and in some cases, trying simply to get better.

THIS NEEDS TO BE SHOT DOWN BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE,ffs

Edited by Rip The Mesh

16 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

How come no photos or video of Lindholm hanging out with his new teammates? I hope he's getting a warm welcome. Kinda bummed Team Hughes didn't pick him. Cuz this all-star weekend is important stuff :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Just an opinion; Whatever, Leave the ALLSTAR game the way it is and that is enough.

This looks to be n the middle of a playoff race for 2025. Put me down for an I hate this !!!

Yup.  It's going to affecting Nux as the defending cup champs with so many US players going to that event. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I felt last year in Vegas was worse.

For some reason, I'm loving this year (obviously a lot to do with having so many players involved).

When the deal was here I was also really into it.

They could do a lot better for sure...but I love that Buble's our guy and I'm looking forward to the Skills and the game. (Get to wfh this afternoon so that lined up nicely).

I will leave the judgment until after tomorrow. But I am just glad that it might be a little bit more professional this year. Those goofy shoot outs and Zegras being a little show boater and the awful acting just made me cringe. Take it seriously and play the game the way it was intended. 

25 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I saw that photo - isn't that Michael Buble, not Lindholm? Unless my old eyes are failing me...

It's actually this photo that got me thinking that we haven't seen any photos of Lindholm with his new teammates.

20 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I saw that photo - isn't that Michael Buble, not Lindholm? Unless my old eyes are failing me...

It's actually this photo that got me thinking that we haven't seen any photos of Lindholm with his new teammates.

That's the joke. Buble is sitting in for Lindholm 

50 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Gotta edit. / This could potentially cause injuries AND, just leading up to the playoffs, which is 

what everything in NHL hockey is based on.

This format, tempers will flare up, players will go all out, risking injury, maybe even to an NHL team mate? This is as dumb as it gets

Players play, barring trades, with the same guys all year, striving to get to the playoffs and in some cases, trying simply to get better.

THIS NEEDS TO BE SHOT DOWN BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE,ffs

The Olympics pose the same risk no?