[Report] Jets acquire Monahan from MTL for 2024 1st round pick + 2027 conditional 3rd round pick

47 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Lindholm is a much more cerebral player and has maintained a top of the lineup role throughout his career absolutely. He has shown to excel in differing roles and is extremely versatile.

Monahan funny enough has pretty well identical size, age, production to date and of recent has been playing and producing up and down lineups from third line to top six. Monahan definitely has value as a producer. Both players also sitting at around 20 points in 30 playoff games, the edge going to Monahan.

They were teammates for 4 years, I'd say that's a fair yardstick.

Lindholm  289 games 261 points

Monahan 263 games 181 points

Lindholm was a selke finalist during that time, Monahan???? Not so much.

Who's got the edge?

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still not sure we’re ready for a street fight yet.

I wanna see at least one more big body forward added.

Still a lot of time before the deadline and it's certainly a possibility given we do have a bit of cap space.

Monahan was traded to help Winnipeg's powerplay, Lindholm was traded to help Petey 5 on 5 and hopefully boost up our middling PK, neither of which Monahan can really do. Lindholm being right handed is also a pretty big boon imo. Monahan is slow, soft, and not that good defensively. Why would we trade Kuzy and replace him with that guy? Lindholm fits the style the team plays way better than Monahan. People look at goals, assists, and points and make their judgments there. When there's so many other factors to include. Lindholm was a Selke runner up, and probably should have won it if the voters didn't love voting for Bergeron.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess thats more pc than saying we flipped him for a f**k ton and aren't looking back. 

Hopefully Treliving brings some more of the same to TO.

Eastern media would then explode though and it’s all Laffs coverage everywhere. Not sure which is the lesser of two evils?

Edited by RWJC
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Good pick up but that's a high price for Monahan

We payed a better price for an elite 2 way RHC

Like our trade even more..

its not too surprising tho with his resurgence in MTL. But WPG plays a heavier game.... pretty easy minutes MTL, I wonder what they'll expect from him?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rekker said:

According to Eastern media, great deal for the Jets. While yesterday all I heard about was how Kuz is going to turn the Flames around and Bzr is the next Orr. Media is such garbage.

Remember too that every offseason, for the past 2 years at least, the media (and some people on this forum) have been raving over how well the sens have done, but yet every year, they are still trash.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Good pick up but that's a high price for Monahan

We payed a better price for an elite 2 way RHC

Like our trade even more..

Wouldn't be surprised if Winnipeg was poking at Monahan, but it's a lot easier to get players to stay in Vancouver than it is to get them to stay in Winnipeg. 

If Winnipeg had paid what we had it'd likely have been for a rental. Maybe they expect they'll be able to retain Monahan? 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its not too surprising tho with his resurgence in MTL. But WPG plays a heavier game.... pretty easy minutes MTL, I wonder what they'll expect from him?

Yes WPG plays a heavy defensive game. He can help them but not close to the level Lindholm helps us..

Monahan is not the level of player that moves the needle in a significant way. 

It's a high price to pay.

But MTL wins huge with Monahan.

MTL got paid a 1st by CGY to take him and his cap dump,  now they get another 1st and 3rd to move him. 

Huge win by MTL. Two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder.  Amazing..

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Winnipeg was poking at Monahan, but it's a lot easier to get players to stay in Vancouver than it is to get them to stay in Winnipeg. 

If Winnipeg had paid what we had it'd likely have been for a rental. Maybe they expect they'll be able to retain Monahan? 

Jets have a hole at 2C they fill that with this trade.. he'll play with Ellers. 

Let's see how they do together. If Monahan fits in as a 2C and does well WPG will definitely want to extend him. But I think that all gets figured out in the summer. Right now they'll concentrate on a deep playoff run..

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Jets have a hole at 2C they fill that with this trade.. he'll play with Ellers. 

Let's see how they do together. If Monahan fits in as a 2C and does well WPG will definitely want to extend him. But I think that all gets figured out in the summer. Right now they'll concentrate on a deep playoff run..

Jets still have 3.2M in deadline cap space too, his cap hit is a benefit to them 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes WPG plays a heavy defensive game. He can help them but not close to the level Lindholm helps us..

Monahan is not the level of player that moves the needle in a significant way. 

It's a high price to pay.

But MTL wins huge with Monahan.

MTL got paid a 1st by CGY to take him and his cap dump,  now they get another 1st and 3rd to move him. 

Huge win by MTL. Two 1st rounders and a 3rd rounder.  Amazing..

The 3rd round pick is only if the Jets win the cup. That is pie in the sky.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

They were teammates for 4 years, I'd say that's a fair yardstick.

Lindholm  289 games 261 points

Monahan 263 games 181 points

Lindholm was a selke finalist during that time, Monahan???? Not so much.

Who's got the edge?

The entire body of work does not matter when you're almost 30; a lot has happened in their careers since they first started out.  Sean Monahan should hold his head high - he has had a fantastic start to his career completely derailed by injuries, but here he's come out on the other side.  Just two years ago Calgary had to add a first round pick just to dump him.  Now he's getting traded for a first round pick.

Lindholm is a better fit on a team coached by Rick Tocchet - relentless forechecking is really the only thing that he wants out of anyone.  There is enough talent to facilitate the offence once we have puck possession, but gaining possession is the most important thing.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The entire body of work does not matter when you're almost 30; a lot has happened in their careers since they first started out.  Sean Monahan should hold his head high - he has had a fantastic start to his career completely derailed by injuries, but here he's come out on the other side.  Just two years ago Calgary had to add a first round pick just to dump him.  Now he's getting traded for a first round pick.

Lindholm is a better fit on a team coached by Rick Tocchet - relentless forechecking is really the only thing that he wants out of anyone.  There is enough talent to facilitate the offence once we have puck possession, but gaining possession is the most important thing.

I can tell you that most Montreal fans only wanted Monahan traded for 2 reasons. To get another 1st for him, and to improve the odds of getting a top 5 draft pick this season. He was a great addition to the team and I thinknhis mentorship of a kid like Suzuki was huge.  Most fans would have been fine with re-signing him if the trade offers were less than a 1st 

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jets way overpaid for Monnohands. Considering Kuz Miss was a two season cap dumperoo we paid less for the far superior player in Lindholm. 
We win! Jets lose. 

Not only did we dumperoo Kooz. But we also just made a div rival's top 6 easier to play against. That said I really do hope Kuzmenko does well in Calgary and scores for them. Just not against us. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Not only did we dumperoo Kooz. But we also just made a div rival's top 6 easier to play against. That said I really do hope Kuzmenko does well in Calgary and scores for them. Just not against us. 

Alf will always love Kuz missile. 🥰

The arms race in the west begins....

Interesting that the Jets have not played the Canucks yet this season so how these teams match up this year is unknown.  The Canucks threw down the gauntlet early and the Jets reacted quickly with a trade for probably the next best available centre.  Both teams obviously think that this is a good year for them.  The Canucks clearly got the better player. 

Canucks lead the Jets by 6 points in the standings.  Jets have 2 games in hand.