[Report] Jets acquire Monahan from MTL for 2024 1st round pick + 2027 conditional 3rd round pick

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

Hes actually saying he cannot believe someone traded a 1st + to get this guy

No. He's saying Monahan was playing too well and hurting the rebuild. Lol just about every insiders was suggesting Monahan would return a 1st. Once Lindholm was off the market it was a forgone conclusion 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I’m so glad that we’re the team making other teams panic and overspend instead of it being vice versa.  I’m stoked

Dear lord I’m glad we didn’t spend a 1st on Monahan 

of note at time of VAN trade JT Miller who was far beyond what Monahan is now went for a 1st and third 

Welp, the Jets just got a lot more boring :classic_wink:

And a little icing on the cake, Oilers two biggest rivals have ended up with Kuz.  Maybe if Joey's upgrades their menu, he might move up north some day.

18 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Comparing the trades, one difference is that Monahan needs to bump someone down the lineup on the Jets, while Lindholm slots right in replacing an unproductive player. Might be an easier/better fit for Vancouver. 

forget the value of the trades.

the Canucks got 100% the player they need

4 hours ago, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

forget the value of the trades.

the Canucks got 100% the player they need

If he fits the way everyone thinks he will.  We will find out how well he fits in a couple days.  Would have like to see him play with EP today.  Not real value to see EP play with anyone else.  

Monahan should be a great addition to Winnipeg. Adam Lowry is a fantastic shutdown center but really didn't have the offense for 2nd line center. Bringing in Monahan will allow Lowry to play an almost exclusive matchup role while Monahan should be able to help boost the offense of Ehlers/Perfetti. Head-to-head Lindholm is a better player than Monahan, but I do think Monahan fits Winnipeg's need really well.

The Winnipeg vs Vancouver matchup should be really interesting and fun to watch. Vancouver has the higher octane offense but I think Winnipeg plays slightly better defensively as a team. Both teams have elite goaltending with Hellebuyck probably just slightly edging out Demko for the Vezina if voting were today. It should make for a great series if we have a chance to play each other in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

I feel like one thing almost no one seems to be mentioning is how Kent Hughes just got a 1st round pick for an asset he paid nothing for. Like literally, Monahan was originally traded WITH a conditional 1st round pick for future considerations.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I feel like one thing almost no one seems to be mentioning is how Kent Hughes just got a 1st round pick for an asset he paid nothing for. Like literally, Monahan was originally traded WITH a conditional 1st round pick for future considerations.

Yup. Tidy piece of work.  He actually played really well in Montreal and was a great mentor to their young forwards.  There was zero downside for Montreal in the moves (other than the lost cap space for 1 season) 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Frozen Water Walker said:

Yes Miller signed a contract sorry for the lack of clarity, having lunch  so easily distracted 🙃

Lol oh. I thought you were talking about Lindholm. Had to quickly google to check for an extension 

• Cheers 3

On 2/2/2024 at 6:48 PM, Coryberg said:

The 3rd round pick is only if the Jets win the cup. That is pie in the sky.

Not only that,  2 seconds would have been a worse deal for them straight across.  Win or lose.   Only a couple/few firsts get traded a season these days - this was a good trade for both teams. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 10:47 PM, canucks curse said:

Dear lord I’m glad we didn’t spend a 1st on Monahan 

of note at time of VAN trade JT Miller who was far beyond what Monahan is now went for a 1st and third 

The Jets are 8-3 with Monahan in the lineup. He's got 7 goals , 1 assist in the 11 games He's played.  I think Winnipeg is pretty happy with giving up a late 1st to get him. 

• Cheers 1

Will be interesting to see how this plays out in the playoffs. Will Monahan get exposed a bit and Lindholm's skill set stand out or will the regular season trend continue? Still hopeful Lindholm will find his footing and play huge dividends in the playoffs where key match-ups become significantly more important.

9 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

The Jets are 8-3 with Monahan in the lineup. He's got 7 goals , 1 assist in the 11 games He's played.  I think Winnipeg is pretty happy with giving up a late 1st to get him. 

Yes, a month later, the Monahan trade is fantastic for Winnipeg. Meanwhile, Lindholm isn't TERRIBLE, but certainly a question mark now.

4 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Yes, a month later, the Monahan trade is fantastic for Winnipeg. Meanwhile, Lindholm isn't TERRIBLE, but certainly a question mark now.

The fact that we could have just about had Monahan + Tanev for the price we paid for Lindholm hurts big time. I'd much rather this team (already full of stars) to have gone out and gotten a couple of nice depth pieces than one more star.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Nah. Just caught the team in the middle of a tough patch.

We have 3 legitimate top 6 centres heading into the playoffs. Anyone upset about that doesn't understand Lindholms defensive value when the much harder games happen in April.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Nah. Just caught the team in the middle of a tough patch.

We have 3 legitimate top 6 centres heading into the playoffs. Anyone upset about that doesn't understand Lindholms defensive value when the much harder games happen in April.

Agreed, match-ups are key in the playoffs, definitely where Lindholm could pay off in a significant way. Create a pure D line that then frees up the Miller and EP lines (or a line that combines EP and Miller). 

However, I don't think Tocc has found the right winger combos yet. Still a work in progress.

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Agreed, match-ups are key in the playoffs, definitely where Lindholm could pay off in a significant way. Create a pure D line that then frees up the Miller and EP lines (or a line that combines EP and Miller). 

However, I don't think Tocc has found the right winger combos yet. Still a work in progress.

Yep. We'll see what the TDL brings for wingers