You're GM -do you make any more "Signficant Moves" before the deadline?

You're the GM - Do you make any more "Significant" trades before the Dealine?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. To Trade or Not to Trade

• Yes
    • No
    • Minor Trades only that don't affect our key prospects / Only Picks and B or C prospects

My move would be to make a pitch for

Yakov Trenin.   Big, tough winger for the playoffs.  Makes 1.7 and is a UFA.

He would be our Pat Maroon.

Edited by Screw
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I think if we could move out Mikeyev and replace him in the lineup with Vatrano, the forward group would be as good and deep as any team in the league.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Lindholm-Petey-Vatrano

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Aman-Hoglander

Vatrano makes 1.1M less than Mikeyev as well which would allow us to add another depth forward or defenseman. 

As it is now, there isn't many (any?) teams that can as it is now.   EDM.    That's about it. 

15 hours ago, Kevlar said:

Hi Dom, I want to say that I do not want to move Mikheyev for the sake of doing so. In this exercise, "do you make any more significant moves," my answer is to get a young RHD with term. The only way to do that is to move a contract and Mikheyev is the most logical one.

Mikheyev can stay this year, but if we want to upgrade and keep Lindholm, he needs to go.   Either him or Garland in the post season.   

11 hours ago, tas said:

8 goals in 7 games in the 2011 finals. 

you can never have enough.

Our best player in 2011 was our PP. Possession 5v5 hockey resulted in penalties that fed the leagues best PP. When we hit the finals, the whistles got put away, and we lost our best advantage. Add losing Dmen and you see our demise.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Our best player in 2011 was our PP. Possession 5v5 hockey resulted in penalties that fed the leagues best PP. When we hit the finals, the whistles got put away, and we lost our best advantage. Add losing Dmen and you see our demise.

8 PPs in game 3…6 in game 4…. 

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Also I don’t know how much Garland is first fiddle or just sneaky on the boards and stealing the puck that when that lines out he’s always on the puck. I think Garland could be a fine complimentary player on any line. Only problem is if you take Garland from the 3rd line and put Mikheyev their then there’s no offensive flare creating for the 3rd line and that line just becomes a shutdown defensive line.

garland have literally almost no production this year playing with EP line or Miller line.. and those 2 lines looked awful offensively when Garland is there. Garland is working well on the 3rd line right now because the other 2 compliments him while he plays with the puck. Garland offensively doesn't do much without the puck.. he likes to play along the board with the puck.. without the puck you don't notice him at all.. if he's playing on the top 2 lines.. he's fighting for the puck with Miller or EP.. those 2 needs the puck to create and it's hard to create when they are fighting for the puck with garland.. sure EP can get into the scoring areas and wait for the puck etc.. but garland is not a playmaker.. he ain't gonna get the puck to EP in the scoring position nor can ep and miller create space for garland without the puck. the type of player that prolly work best for miller or EP is like a burrows.. understand his role get to the right position and wait for the pass.. garland is not that type of player.. he's not a complimentary type..  he's a play driver.. stacking play driver don't work when there's usually 2 other way more effective playdriver on your line ie miller ep or hughes.

mihkeyev is not a playdriver himself either.. swapping him up with garland is just going to destroy the 3rd line.

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

they were 5th in even strength goals, first in even strength goals against, 2nd in even strength goal differential that year. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

garland have literally almost no production this year playing with EP line or Miller line.. and those 2 lines looked awful offensively when Garland is there. Garland is working well on the 3rd line right now because the other 2 compliments him while he plays with the puck. Garland offensively doesn't do much without the puck.. he likes to play along the board with the puck.. without the puck you don't notice him at all.. if he's playing on the top 2 lines.. he's fighting for the puck with Miller or EP.. those 2 needs the puck to create and it's hard to create when they are fighting for the puck with garland.. sure EP can get into the scoring areas and wait for the puck etc.. but garland is not a playmaker.. he ain't gonna get the puck to EP in the scoring position nor can ep and miller create space for garland without the puck. the type of player that prolly work best for miller or EP is like a burrows.. understand his role get to the right position and wait for the pass.. garland is not that type of player.. he's not a complimentary type..  he's a play driver.. stacking play driver don't work when there's usually 2 other way more effective playdriver on your line ie miller ep or hughes.

mihkeyev is not a playdriver himself either.. swapping him up with garland is just going to destroy the 3rd line.

Could not agree more. Garland's line was originally going to be a checking 3rd line. It took off on ppg but their ozone TOI is very good. Garland flourishes in this environment. If Mik is bumped off Petey's line I think it is to the 4th line and Hogs gets another chance. Hogs-Lindholm-Petey is mouthwatering. All three have shots and can work the boards. Mik on the 4th joins Lafferty and Anan with PDG ready to return. A very d-side competent group with some speed. Lafferty and PDG can bring a physical edge. We all know that CUP play is not regular season play. PA must be wondering whether he has the physical side covered or whether another move is needed? Before the TDL I expect RT to move his lines around to see if the existing group can answer that question. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

last year there was more powerplays in the playoffs then the regular season

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, tas said:

they were 5th in even strength goals, first in even strength goals against, 2nd in even strength goal differential that year. 

Their PP% was top in league and accounted for 28% of their goals. Combine that with your stat of being best in GA equals wins.

The PP and overall Team D were a huge part of the teams success.

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Their PP% was top in league and accounted for 28% of their goals. Combine that with your stat of being best in GA equals wins.

The PP and overall Team D were a huge part of the teams success.

sure. so was scoring more goals than 25 other teams at 5 on 5. 

9 hours ago, Bardown said:

I have thought the same but Myers has been quite good this year, and as much as Tanev is an upgrade defensively, losing Myers size is not something I want to see for this run....I would try to entice Calgary with our first in 2025 and a third...our first should be rotten again next year assuming we don't totally collapse next season. And its likley Tanev would be open to resigning with us.

With the addition of Zadorov on top of Soucy and Cole (and Juulsen)... And that Tanev isn't small, neither is Hronek... IMO we can manage without Myers size. And Tanev + Bjugstad >>> Myers (Bjugstad adding size at F as well).

Edited by aGENT
  • chaos 1

9 hours ago, Screw said:

My move would be to make a pitch for

Yakov Trenin.   Big, tough winger for the playoffs.  Makes 1.7 and is a UFA.

He would be our Pat Maroon.

Yes, I've liked Trenin as a target for a while too!

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Thank you! Sometimes I feel like I'm on an island out here 😂

Edited by aGENT

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

We got bullied by a physical team. And we got out scored badly

Biggest problem was the goalie. Their goaltender was hot and ours wasn't. Their goaltender was too hard to beat.. 

Our Defense couldn't stop them from scoring and our offense couldn't score on them.

We need another scoring winger and another RHD

We need both positions upgraded and I think JR/PA will get that done by the trade deadline.  

The biggest problem in 2011 was injuries. We were the walking wounded out there. And when Hamhuis went down and Rome got suspended, we didn't have enough to overcome Big Z and peak Thomas.

It's a good reminder that even if you think we're good, depth is crucial. It's also a reason I wouldn't want to move guys like Zadorov or Myers (and I've been a hater of the latter for years). As the series go on, not only are those guys less likely to get injured because of their size, but they become even more difficult to play against as opposing players get worn down.

• Like 1

I think we're done for "big" deals. Provided the team gels in the next few weeks before the deadline. Tocc seems to think Mikheyev will improve, but if he doesn't by the deadline that might be a concern to address.

But I would still target multiple depth options. Waivers limits how many veterans you can add:

- At least one high end NCAA free agent. Jacob Quillan is a relentless player with size, and should be able to slide into the 4th line seamlessly.

- A veteran depth defenseman to fill the #7 spot, pushes Juulsen to #8.

35 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think we're done for "big" deals. Provided the team gels in the next few weeks before the deadline. Tocc seems to think Mikheyev will improve, but if he doesn't by the deadline that might be a concern to address.

But I would still target multiple depth options. Waivers limits how many veterans you can add:

- At least one high end NCAA free agent. Jacob Quillan is a relentless player with size, and should be able to slide into the 4th line seamlessly.

- A veteran depth defenseman to fill the #7 spot, pushes Juulsen to #8.

I'd aim to add a middle 6 winger to displace Suter back to the 4th line, and also add a depth defenceman that again has size and snarl.

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Triggered. 

Beyond that, Guentzel would be mean cup. Definitely give up any of our top prospects (esp Podz) for him, and then some. Tanev would also be perfect.

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

As it is now, there isn't many (any?) teams that can as it is now.   EDM.    That's about it. 

Mikheyev can stay this year, but if we want to upgrade and keep Lindholm, he needs to go.   Either him or Garland in the post season.   

I think If Lindy is a good fit, they will move out Garland and Milky and let Hogz replace them, that's almost 10 mill out the door, vetrano is more offensive than garland and cheaper - I could see them doing this and then signing tanev. 

Letteremaki, Bains, Karlsson, will be pushing for an NHL spot next year 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

With the addition of Zadorov on top of Soucy and Cole (and Juulsen)... And that Tanev isn't small, neither is Hronek... IMO we can manage without Myers size. And Tanev + Bjugstad >>> Myers (Bjugstad adding size at F as well).

Just wanted to use the chaos emoji. 

• chaos 1