You're GM -do you make any more "Signficant Moves" before the deadline?

You're the GM - Do you make any more "Significant" trades before the Dealine?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. To Trade or Not to Trade

• Yes
    • No
    • Minor Trades only that don't affect our key prospects / Only Picks and B or C prospects

55 minutes ago, TopChed said:

I would only go big if we can buy low on Josh Anderson or Tom Wilson sending Mik + the other way. 

I don't think we need to do anything big. Juulson and Friedman have been fine depth and we know Wolainen can play. Up front we could probably add a gritty bottom 6 role player a Sam Carrick, Beck Malenstyn, Nic Dowd, if STL drops Sundqvist type.

I think less is more  

Eww Josh Andersson is a 30 point 5.5 million dollar player. He’s like a more expensive less productive player and without the PK ability to that of Mikheyev. Josh Andersson would be a terrible player to target that guy is probably unmovable at his contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Dom said:

I don't understand why people want to trade Mikheyev. Sure, his contract is bad and offensively he is underperforming, but he is elite defensively. Defense wins championships. 

You probably answered your own question.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dom said:

I don't understand why people want to trade Mikheyev. Sure, his contract is bad and offensively he is underperforming, but he is elite defensively. Defense wins championships. 

Also need to remember he is rehabbing an ACL tear, which will probably take another 6 months to fully heal and return to pre-injury function (getting back to the top speed we saw when he was in Toronto). Despite that, he is still playing "winning hockey" due to his 200 ft game. He complements our top 6 very well despite not putting up huge numbers.

His even strength ice time and his production is on par with Garland (12-13 mins and about 0.5 pts/gm) albeit in a different role as a top 6 support player with more skilled linemates against tougher opposition (whereas Garland has a playmaking role with less skilled linemates against easier competition).

If we need to make a choice between Mikheyev and Garland next season, then I would choose to keep Mikheyev because he has the skill set that fits our top 6, whereas Garland has shown his skill set doesn't complement Miller or Petey so he really only fits on the 3rd line. Garland has been great this year but I can see him as a potential cap casualty as they build the roster for next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

I personally really want Toffoli. Has proven success with Pettersson and I think it gives us some more winger depth. Right now we have Mikheyev and Suter as the third winger on both lines and I think we really need an upgrade there.

• Like 1

It's not a matter of want. It's a matter of what is available and what's going out and coming back.

If a deal makes sense then go ahead.

I don't think we are going to be looking to make any deals. But are willing to listen and act if the price is right.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, zduck14 said:

I think if we could move out Mikeyev and replace him in the lineup with Vatrano, the forward group would be as good and deep as any team in the league.

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Lindholm-Petey-Vatrano

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Lafferty-Aman-Hoglander

Vatrano makes 1.1M less than Mikeyev as well which would allow us to add another depth forward or defenseman. 

You ain’t getting a vatrano for peanuts.. he’s having a career year and by the time TDL comes around he’ll prolly be at 30+ goals.. and will be commending a 1st +.. trading multiple 1st rounders is stupid and rarely done by any team at the TDL. Most team that makes significant move at the TDL ends up not winning the cup.. in the last 10+ years only 2 rental trade that involved a 1st rounder ended up winning the cup and in the last god knows how many year only 1 big name trade ended up winning the cup and that was gaborik 

• Like 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

I think if you don’t like Mikheyev’s production then move him down and put Garland in that position. He’s earned the opportunity and he’s offensively gifted enough that I think he could hang in a top 6 role.

Garland needs the puck offensively and is not defensively minded. Mik can play third fiddle on either top line very effectively. Garland is great as first fiddle on the third line. He is in a perfect spot for how he needs to play help us win. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland needs the puck offensively and is not defensively minded. Mik can play third fiddle on either top line very effectively. Garland is great as first fiddle on the third line. He is in a perfect spot for how he needs to play help us win. 

It’s fair to say Mikheyev is a better defensive player but if you want more offence from your top 6 if this trio does falter I think Garland could provide that for you. Also with both Pettersson and Lindholm being good defensively if one guy on that line isn’t amazing defensively I don’t think it should be too big of a deal. It’s not like taking Mikheyev off that line then that line will be terrible defensively. Nobody wants to break up that 3rd line but every time I see them playing Garland is creating so much offensively but half the time Blueger or Joshua aren’t finishing and to their defence they’re bottom 6 players who are limited offensively. Just think if he created for top offensive talent he’d actually be looked at in a good way compared to his contract.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Also I don’t know how much Garland is first fiddle or just sneaky on the boards and stealing the puck that when that lines out he’s always on the puck. I think Garland could be a fine complimentary player on any line. Only problem is if you take Garland from the 3rd line and put Mikheyev their then there’s no offensive flare creating for the 3rd line and that line just becomes a shutdown defensive line.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

It’s fair to say Mikheyev is a better defensive player but if you want more offence from your top 6 if this trio does falter I think Garland could provide that for you. Also with both Pettersson and Lindholm being good defensively if one guy on that line isn’t amazing defensively I don’t think it should be too big of a deal. It’s not like taking Mikheyev off that line then that line will be terrible defensively. Nobody wants to break up that 3rd line but every time I see them playing Garland is creating so much offensively but half the time Blueger or Joshua aren’t finishing and to their defence they’re bottom 6 players who are limited offensively. Just think if he created for top offensive talent he’d actually be looked at in a good way compared to his contract.

Certainly Tocchet has a lot of options. 

I'd make a move. Tanev would be nice, the only issue is as I've mentioned before is if/when we are healthy one of Cole or Soucy would be scratched, maybe even Zadarov depending on the opponent. I'd actually keep Myers, people say trade him to add Tanev, but I feel like the coaching staff wants a RD with a LD. It's kinda why we're in on Tanev to begin with. We can have Huggy/Hronek, Zadarov/Myers, Cole or Soucy/Tanev. Having 5 #4/5 D behind our number 1 and number 2 D would be quite the depth. All of which are a combination of tough and defensively sound.

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

In terms of big moves, I think we should target Bjugstad out of Arizona. Signed this season and next season at AAV of $2.1m.

He's the ultimate depth piece, 6'6", right handed C/W, can play anywhere in the lineup (top or bottom 6), 50% on faceoffs.

Would be willing to trade Raty to Arizona to get him. Makes sense for Arizona as Bjug is 31 and Raty is 21 and a better fit with the age of their core.

Would also try and get a team like Chicago to retain 50% on Bjugstad for a 4th round pick so that we have more cap flexibility.

Since we currently have $1.86m in cap space adding Bjugstad for $1.05m still leaves $0.81m in cap space. Would like to target Bogosian out of MIN as a depth RD ($0.8m) for our playoff run. Should be worth a late round pick or B prospect.

I'm sure management is looking at all sides of any near future moves. I'm guessing they'll see how things look the next 2 or 3 weeks with the new acquisition and will make adjustments as needed or not.  

Although, I'm with ya' here, dude. Big body, physical types for the playoffs. And Bogo won a Stanley Cup. Experience is always a good thing for a new contending team like us. I'm sure players of this ilk can be had for a late round pick or middling prospect. Making cap space for something like this should be doable for JR/PA and the gang.

• Cheers 1

I would wait a couple weeks and if New Jersey is out of the playoff picture I would send them:

Mikheyev + 2nd round pick + prospect for Toffoli to solidify our top 6. Cap hits are about equal, Toffoli is a UFA and will most likely be getting moved. 

A top 6 of Miller, Boeser, Petterson, Lindholm, and Toffoli would be awesome. 

• Cheers 1

I don’t mind another trade but nothing significant. None of these guys should be traded now:

Podkolzin

Raty

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Pettersson

Silovs

We are going to need guys who can step in on entry level contracts during the buy out seasons.

I would put a solid package together for Guentzel.  And I think JR/PA are trying to do that right now..

Mikheyev + Raty/Bains + Kirril K + 2025 1st × 2025 3rd

I think they're going to go all in and get it done.. 

After that they'll trade for Tanev 50% retained for 2nd + Raty/Bains + Friedman 

Edited by WHL rocks

9 hours ago, TheWhiskeyPickle said:

If there’s a way to get Mikheyev off the team and upgrade the top 6 I would be all for it. Another depth dman would be nice too. 

I am not sure why people are open to moving Mik, he's a big part of our Team D and PK... I also think with Lindholm he has become even more valuable. he is the defensive conscience in the top 6 with speed. Think ahead to shadowing McDavid.

Mik Petey Lindholm

Hogz Miller Boeser

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Realistically? Probably not much or a depth guy or two. Ideally? If I could turn Myers and his cap (+ some moderate futures) in to Tanev and Bjugstad (or similar)...giddyup.

I have thought the same but Myers has been quite good this year, and as much as Tanev is an upgrade defensively, losing Myers size is not something I want to see for this run....I would try to entice Calgary with our first in 2025 and a third...our first should be rotten again next year assuming we don't totally collapse next season. And its likley Tanev would be open to resigning with us.

6 hours ago, Dom said:

We have plenty of offense. 

4 hours ago, tas said:

8 goals in 7 games in the 2011 finals. 

you can never have enough.

4 minutes ago, Bardown said:

Sure, but its not the same team. Defense wins championships, that's actually an example of it

We got bullied by a physical team. And we got out scored badly

Biggest problem was the goalie. Their goaltender was hot and ours wasn't. Their goaltender was too hard to beat.. 

Our Defense couldn't stop them from scoring and our offense couldn't score on them.

We need another scoring winger and another RHD

We need both positions upgraded and I think JR/PA will get that done by the trade deadline.