[GDT] Tuesday February 6 2024 - Vancouver Canucks @ Carolina Hurricanes - 4:00pm PT/7:00pm ET - Raleigh

OldFaithfulcap

10 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Heat is on Mik to perform now that Kuzy has been dealt with. He has been too invisible in the last month.

If he will be next to go should he fail to pick it up. 

1 goal in his last 21 games... top 6 minutes.  He needs to produce.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The up side is, they knew full well it was coming, and have done their share of scouting, even at the All star festivities ..

sounds like you are surprised that the canucks travel schedule is inefficient? 52 years + and still no change

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

You forgot honey Badger.

We aren't their yet. 2011 is still better.

I'd say this team is better coached though and collectively is tougher.

I can't see these guys getting pushed around the way we did in 2011 finals

And this team has Hughes.

So it's very close but right now I'd give the edge to 2011 but marginally.

I may change my mind in a few months.

This team we have right now is significantly better, in my opinion. It all starts with the mentality; the soft era is over. This team is built for the playoffs. The 2011 team was built to acquire powerplays and make teams suffer there, so not really the best playoff formula, as we witnessed painstakingly. 

The offensive depth on this team is better. I'd argue the top end talent this year is much better than in 2011, and far less reliant on powerplays. They also have a much stronger 200 ft game. 

The defense is better, and tougher. I understand 2011 was deeper, but we have Hughes. Hughes and Hronek + 4 solid, physical dmen that can all clear the crease and lay out punishing hits. Built for the playoffs. 

Goaltending was better in 2011. If Demko can demonstrate a stronger mentality than Luongo's infamous playoff lapses, then our goaltending is better as well. 

Coaching is better. 

Injuries will come and we won't have to rely on calling up the likes of Oreskovich, Bolduc, or Tanev (who in hindsight played decent as a rookie under enormous pressure). We have strong prospects and veterans like Podkolzin, Bains, Wolanin...

Just my opinion, but I'll die on this hill. 2011 was a memorable run and I remember it vividly, all the happiness and the sadness that it brought. This year we're winning the fucking cup. Not a single team in the league can beat us 4 out of 7.

• Like 1
  • chaos 1

40 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You know that’s funny you mention that.

I’ve lived in BC all my life, but moved yo northern AB 3 years ago.

I actually pay more in income tax here than BC.

The home and auto insurance is more. 

There is no discount on your property tax like BC.

And in general you pay oil field jacked up prices on everything.

The only tax benefits i’ve seen so far is 1: when you buy a used vehicle you don’t get charged tax on it. And 2: you don’t pay ridiculous property transfer tax on property that you purchase.

Yes goods are taxed less here. But when everything is jacked up price wise it’s a wash imo.

Anyways thought it funny you mentioned that because i’ve been bitching and moaning about it since I moved here lol.

You mean the AB Advantage is a lie????

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

sounds like you are surprised that the canucks travel schedule is inefficient? 52 years + and still no change

Best way for the NHL to make sure we have a helluva time even getting to the Stanley Cup finals, let alone winning a Cup.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think they'll try pretty hard to re-sign him. 

I'd rather have Lindholm and Pods than Mikheyev and Garland. We might even get a couple assets out of it.

If we can sign him, then its a good trade.

A big BUT though if we can trade away enough assets to clear that cap room.

I don't mind the idea of having too many UFAs.  Decent UFAs that is.  Important distinction from the Benning era.  Some will go, guaranteed. But I don't mind the internal competition to see which of the UFAs really want to stay here, which ones gel and work hard for Tocchet to employ his system. 

I hope all the best for JR/PA this summer. That somehow, in the end, we have retained the full core of Petey, Miller, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm, plus kept Hogs and Podz and DeSmith.  And the cherry on top, somehow also bring back Tanev!

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This team we have right now is significantly better, in my opinion. It all starts with the mentality; the soft era is over. This team is built for the playoffs. The 2011 team was built to acquire powerplays and make teams suffer there, so not really the best playoff formula, as we witnessed painstakingly. 

The offensive depth on this team is better. I'd argue the top end talent this year is much better than in 2011, and far less reliant on powerplays. They also have a much stronger 200 ft game. 

The defense is better, and tougher. I understand 2011 was deeper, but we have Hughes. Hughes and Hronek + 4 solid, physical dmen that can all clear the crease and lay out punishing hits. Built for the playoffs. 

Goaltending was better in 2011. If Demko can demonstrate a stronger mentality than Luongo's infamous playoff lapses, then our goaltending is better as well. 

Coaching is better. 

Injuries will come and we won't have to rely on calling up the likes of Oreskovich, Bolduc, or Tanev (who in hindsight played decent as a rookie under enormous pressure). We have strong prospects and veterans like Podkolzin, Bains, Wolanin...

Just my opinion, but I'll die on this hill. 2011 was a memorable run and I remember it vividly, all the happiness and the sadness that it brought. This year we're winning the fucking cup. Not a single team in the league can beat us 4 out of 7.

image.gif.58adcd3e8234319bee6dc43383dfea07.gif

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

dude, im not afraid of jt miller...

even if he is a bad ass...

I would tell him too, like countless people have told me before in alberta... your better off clean shaven then with a scraggly beard... why ??? ask your women

Sorry dude. Doesn't matter what you think. It matters what DLC thinks! 😃

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Time was running out for Kuzy in Vancouver, due to the team making a run at the playoffs.  He'll

have a much better chance to develop his defensive skills.

I don't think he will find it easy to put up the offensive #s, as his linemates are

Huberdeau + Sherangovich (1st time as a C in NHL).  I do hope Kuzy plays well,

(not against the Canucks), as I really like the guy and want him to be happy.

Imo, Lindholm is a ++better player for the Canucks.  Being a C-r with great f/o %, 2-way player,

plays all fw positions, has had +++ NHL experience and is probably exuberant about joining a

team that has a healthy on and off the ice.

Peeps should forget about Lindy's stats for this year.  How uninspiring it must be in the Flames

lockeroom.  Dismal.  Looking at his prior yearly stats, while playing in Calgary, my bet is that he

averages +25gs a season on Pete's line.

I think we got the best player in the trade (Lindholm). Just think Kuzmenko will do better in Calgary than here. For one he won’t be regularly scratched since Calgary is hurting for any type of scoring. Moreover a new environment will most likely be stress free for him so a fresh start might do wonders for him. Wishing him the best and hope Lindholm resigns with us.

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You mean the AB Advantage is a lie????

That left a long time ago! All that surplus money they were sitting on has been wasted away. 

They’ve reduced royalty taxes on big oil so much it’s a joke. They used to have money just filling the coffers here. Now it’s all been crapped away. Everything is corporatized. Even the water supply is corporately run. All my years in BC I’ve never had complaints about the town water. Several communities around the area where I live in go through boil water advisories especially during the spring.

At least with govt run municipal service they spend the money and keep things running well. 

Anyways…Go Canucks lol

• Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The up side is, they knew full well it was coming, and have done their share of scouting, even at the All star festivities ..

Would be nice to go Raleigh, Washington, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, but it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

That left a long time ago! All that surplus money they were sitting on has been wasted away. 

They’ve reduced royalty taxes on big oil so much it’s a joke. They used to have money just filling the coffers here. Now it’s all been crapped away. Everything is corporatized. Even the water supply is corporately run. All my years in BC I’ve never had complaints about the town water. Several communities around the area where I live in go through boil water advisories especially during the spring.

At least with govt run municipal service they spend the money and keep things running well. 

Anyways…Go Canucks lol

Yup, the Conservative party there just gorged on it, while reducing the tax contributions.  Great way to buy elections, but not so good for Albertans in the long run

Compared to Norway.  Using their oil royalty fund as a major contributor to the national pension plan.

"The Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Oil Fund, was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues of the Norwegian petroleum sector. As of February 2024, it had over US$1.548 trillion in assets,[1] and held on average 1.5% of all of the world's listed companies, making it the world's largest single sovereign wealth fund in terms of total assets under management.[2][3] This translates to roughly US$270,000 per Norwegian citizen.[4] It also holds portfolios of real estate and fixed-income investments. Many companies are excluded by the fund on ethical grounds.[5]"

Maybe Albertans wouldn't be so bitchy and demanding to the rest of Canada if they'd nurtured their "Heritage" Fund. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

But we do have a 4th line that scores... That I think will make up for any failings of the 3rd line... Would love to have a Torres type forechecking though.

Like this, but just backed off enough to not get penalties. WOW was this ever a hit, I remember it almost like it was yesterday. Torres hit like a freight train but all too often he was penalized for leaving his feet, or elbow to the head or ... Still his type of recklessness with body health would be welcome, just as earlier point backed off just a bit.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 3
  • chaos 1

42 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

There was the time the Canucks had their own private plane I think.  You meet people like Alflives at the Greyhound stations.🤪

• Haha 3
  • chaos 1

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

If we can sign him, then its a good trade.

A big BUT though if we can trade away enough assets to clear that cap room.

I don't mind the idea of having too many UFAs.  Decent UFAs that is.  Important distinction from the Benning era.  Some will go, guaranteed. But I don't mind the internal competition to see which of the UFAs really want to stay here, which ones gel and work hard for Tocchet to employ his system. 

I hope all the best for JR/PA this summer. That somehow, in the end, we have retained the full core of Petey, Miller, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm, plus kept Hogs and Podz and DeSmith.  And the cherry on top, somehow also bring back Tanev!

Yeah, it's going to be a big off-season. There are so many parts needed to ice an elite team, toughness, tertiary scoring, speed, youth, vets, leadership, etc. One thing you absolutely need though is two lines that can tilt the ice in your favor, put other teams under pressure, and score goals, so you need elite players on those lines. One thing Benning always failed to do was find a winger for Bo to play with. Instead we'd always end up with Pearson, or some scrub up there, all the while paying big bucks for guys on the third and fourth lines. I'm thankful we finally have management that have got away from this and see the importance in low salaried bottom 6, and youthful players on elc's to fill these roles.

As such I'd like to think we can afford 4 higher priced guys in the top 6, especially if we aren't paying Mik and Garland $10 mil as 3rd line players. Obviously Lekkerimaki would help this work too, and if it comes down to it I think Lindholm probably makes more sense than Boeser at the same $$. I don't know about Zadorov as I fell his contract ask is going to be fairly large (term). Also DeSmith may just price himself out with his good play. Tanev or similar x2 is definitely something we'll be looking for to replace Myers.

• Upvote 2
  • chaos 1

There are so many reasons why Lindholm should be a perfect fit for us, but a small part of me can't help but to wonder if there's a chance that he would disappoint. Maybe it'll take a few games for him to gel with the team so I'd say not to over react if he doesn't show a stellar performance tonight (although I bet on him to score). Our mgmts pro scouting has been very good since taking over so I do have more faith. 

49 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

The horror lol.

And to think the NHL schedule isn't based around one team. I can't believe it.

5 minutes ago, Wing said:

There are so many reasons why Lindholm should be a perfect fit for us, but a small part of me can't help but to wonder if there's a chance that he would disappoint. Maybe it'll take a few games for him to gel with the team so I'd say not to over react if he doesn't show a stellar performance tonight (although I bet on him to score). Our mgmts pro scouting has been very good since taking over so I do have more faith. 

That's what I like about the UFA lottery we have.   We will only sign the UFAs that perform well this season, especially in the playoffs. The Real season. If Lindholm is a dud, if his decline in Calgary was actually a natural tailing off, and not just a temporary bad run, then the decision will be made for JR.   Concentrate on locking up other UFAs who performed better.

• chaos 1

35 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Would be nice to go Raleigh, Washington, Boston, Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, but it is what it is.

It's only one little back track. All in all pretty good I would say. An extra 1000 km maybe, or 2 hours in the air is not a big deal considering it had to incorporate 6 teams schedules.