[Proposal] Getting some assets back (Keeping the long term options open)

Buffalo needs help, they are struggling and have cap space. They don't want to wait to get better.

So here's my crazy proposal, that maybe is not so crazy.

Mik & Woo

For

Anton Wahlberg ( Left Handed Centre, 6'3" 192 lbs, Playing in SHL, Age 18)

and a 2nd round pick in 2024.

Buffalo gets some two way help on forward, and has some upside. They also get a RHD, which is also a cost controlled RFA which will be good when Owen Power's contract kicks in.

Vancouver gets a 2nd rounder so the team can draft a forward or a defenceman, that we can afford to wait on the results.

In addition we get a centre with size, that we don't have to worry about rushing his development and would be ready around the same time Willander and Mynio will make the jump.

Jumps into the bunker and awaits the fallout.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Buffalo has 2 young Swedish centres I like.  Wahlberg and Ostlund.  Ostlund is a 2C and Wahlberg is a 3C I think in the NHL.  If we re-sign Lindholm then Wahlberg could be an ideal 3C for us.  I would definitely have him on my radar for a trade target in the summer. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Buffalo needs help, they are struggling and have cap space. They don't want to wait to get better.

Mik & Woo

For

Buffalo gets some two way help on forward, and has some upside. They also get a RHD, which is also a cost controlled RFA which will be good when Owen Power's contract kicks in.

Vancouver gets a 2nd rounder so the team can draft a forward or a defenceman, that we can afford to wait on the results.

In addition we get a centre with size, that we don't have to worry about rushing his development and would be ready around the same time Willander and Mynio will make the jump.

Your intention is to flip the pick, right?  No!?  You're gonna trade away one of our best two-way forwards for the draft picks??  We just gave up a big package for a potential rental in Elias Lindholm, so why are you suddenly trying to shed cap space for nothing here?  We're all-in this year - you can't just trade pieces away.

• Cheers 2

1.   2024 Trade Deadline:  Make a strong pitch involving Myers + Top prospect to bring in another Filip Hronek calibre defenseman.

2.  Conclusion of 2023-2024 season:  Sign Elias Lindholm to a long term deal.

3. NHL 2024 draft: Trade Elias Pettersson to Columbus for Kent Johnson, David Jiriceck, 2024 1st round pick, etc.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

1.   2024 Trade Deadline:  Make a strong pitch involving Myers + Top prospect to bring in another Filip Hronek calibre defenseman.

2.  Conclusion of 2023-2024 season:  Sign Elias Lindholm to a long term deal.

3. NHL 2024 draft: Trade Elias Pettersson to Columbus for Kent Johnson, David Jiriceck, 2024 1st round pick, etc.

1) history shows us team that makes big move and multiple big move at the TDL fails epicly in the playoff..

2) signing another guy that turns 30 at end of the year whos already showing sign at decline offensively is going to anchor this team really just limit this teams window to 1 o 2 years.. sry i don't see this team competing with your top 2 centers at 32-33

3) unless columbus is planning on giving ep 15million a season there's no way in hell he's re-signing.. and if he's serious about winning.. he can just go to columbus for free the year after while saving columbus all those asset for them to compete... there's almost no scenario you'll see EP agreeing to a sign and trade unless you plan on lying to the player sign him and then right away trade him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

1) history shows us team that makes big move and multiple big move at the TDL fails epicly in the playoff..

True, I actually did a quick review of the TDL trades for Stanley Cup champs.  At most there's usually 1 big move and then 1 or 2 moves to bolster the lineup.  I think the Canucks are at that point now... maybe a middle 6F at most, and then a depth D.

32 minutes ago, HKSR said:

True, I actually did a quick review of the TDL trades for Stanley Cup champs.  At most there's usually 1 big move and then 1 or 2 moves to bolster the lineup.  I think the Canucks are at that point now... maybe a middle 6F at most, and then a depth D.

There’s only 2 trades that involved a 1st round pick for a rental in the last 10+ years that ended up winning a cup. 

Year Cup Winner Notable Mid-season/Deadline Moves
05-06 Carolina Recchi, Weight
06-07 Anaheim May
07-08 Detroit Stuart
08-09 Pittsburgh Kunitz, Guerin
09-10 Chicago Johnsson (Didn't play in the playoffs)
10-11 Boston Kaberle, Kelly, Peverley
11-12 L.A. Carter
12-13 Chicago Handzus
13-14 L.A. Gaborik
14-15 Chicago Vermette, Desjardins
15-16 Pittsburgh Daley, Hagelin, Schultz, Lovejoy
16-17 Pittsburgh Hainsey
17-18 Washington Kempny
18-19 St. Louis -
19-20 Tampa Bogosion, Goodrow, Coleman
20-21 Tampa Savard
21-22 Colorado Manson, Lehkonen
22-23 Vegas Barbeshev, Blueger, Quick

this was taken from another forum the bolded involved a 1st rounder for a rental. Literally not many teams you see make a big top 6 or top 4d ends up winning a cup. You either already have a cup capable core and adding depth to make it deep able to withstand injury or you don’t. Making big changes to the top 6 and top 4 usually don’t work and only ends up wasting trade assets 

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

There’s only 2 trades that involved a 1st round pick for a rental in the last 10+ years that ended up winning a cup. 

06-07 Anaheim May
07-08 Detroit Stuart
11-12 L.A. Carter
12-13 Chicago Handzus
13-14 L.A. Gaborik
16-17 Pittsburgh Hainsey
17-18 Washington Kempny
18-19 St. Louis -
20-21 Tampa Savard

this was taken from another forum the bolded involved a 1st rounder for a rental. Literally not many teams you see make a big top 6 or top 4d ends up winning a cup. You either already have a cup capable core and adding depth to make it deep able to withstand injury or you don’t. Making big changes to the top 6 and top 4 usually don’t work and only ends up wasting trade assets 

Only problem I have with that analysis is that it pigeon holes moves based on whether a 1st is involved or not, rather than looking at the acquisition itself.  Manson is a top 4D, but because they got him for Helleson and a 2nd, doesn't change the fact the Avs still added a top 4 D.

Even with Gaborik, a top 3 F... he wasn't acquired with the cost of a 1st, but he's clearly a very major acquisition that helped put LAK over the top. 

I think that analysis is just looking at it from the wrong perspective.  It should be looking at the players acquired, not the cost to acquire them to determine the impact on the eventual cup winner.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Only problem I have with that analysis is that it pigeon holes moves based on whether a 1st is involved or not, rather than looking at the acquisition itself.  Manson is a top 4D, but because they got him for Helleson and a 2nd, doesn't change the fact the Avs still added a top 4 D.

Even with Gaborik, a top 3 F... he wasn't acquired with the cost of a 1st, but he's clearly a very major acquisition that helped put LAK over the top. 

I think that analysis is just looking at it from the wrong perspective.  It should be looking at the players acquired, not the cost to acquire them to determine the impact on the eventual cup winner.

Sure but again big moves happens every year at the TDL but it’s very rare a move that involves your top 6 or top 4 end up working whether it involves a 1st or not 

based on the list in the last 10 years only 2 teams gaborik and Manson ended up working and those 2 weren’t rentals either.. and gaborik I dunno if he’s even considered a top 6

Edited by wai_lai416

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Sure but again big moves happens every year at the TDL but it’s very rare a move that involves your top 6 or top 4 end up working whether it involves a 1st or not 

based on the list in the last 10 years only 2 teams gaborik and Manson ended up working and those 2 weren’t rentals either.. and gaborik I dunno if he’s even considered a top 6

What are you talking about?  Gaborik was a rental and he was a bonafide top 6, arguably top line forward.  Manson was also a rental.  Just because they re-signed with their new club doesn't make them not a rental at the time of acquisition. 

Vermette and Savard were rentals too.

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Mik & Woo

For

I'd do this.   It would free up much-needed cap and give an opening to Hoglander on the second line that Bains or Podkolzin could backfill further down.  But even if Buffalo would accept it probably won't happen because (1) management seems to have a higher evaluation of Mik than some of us do and (2) Mik has a limited no-trade clause that could well include Buffalo.  I don't mind Mik as a player and acknowledge he's probably still not fully recovered and could reach a higher level but the team has gotten so much better defensively that we no longer need him as much as when we signed him 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

06-07 Anaheim May
07-08 Detroit Stuart
11-12 L.A. Carter
12-13 Chicago Handzus
13-14 L.A. Gaborik
16-17 Pittsburgh Hainsey
17-18 Washington Kempny
18-19 St. Louis -
20-21 Tampa Savard

I think Tampa Bay traded 2 1st round picks in 2020 for Goodrow and Coleman as well, unless you mean pure rental because those guys had 1 year remaining

Edited by nobigneil

5 minutes ago, nobigneil said:

I think Tampa Bay traded 2 1st round picks in 2020 for Goodrow and Coleman as well

You're correct

The Tampa Bay Lightning acquired forward Barclay Goodrow and a third-round draft pick in 2020 from the San Jose Sharks for a first-round draft pick in 2020 and winger Anthony Greco.

The Tampa Bay Lightning acquired forward Blake Coleman from the New Jersey Devils for winger Nolan Foote and a conditional first-round draft pick in 2020.

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

This is a great post

If that analysis shows me anything is that 90% of the cup winning teams in past 20 years made major additions to their line up and added key contributors mid-season

The exception being the Blues and Anaheim with Brad May

This absoloutely tells me that to win the cup you need to add something valuable gto your team. Standing pat rarely works out .. e.g. Carolina.. and the Blues are the exception

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nobigneil said:

I think Tampa Bay traded 2 1st round picks in 2020 for Goodrow and Coleman as well, unless you mean pure rental because those guys had 1 year remaining

Rentals and significant top 6 maybe Coleman but hard to tell since he was injured most of the regular season after the trade or something and he didn’t even play in the top 6 in Tampa 

23 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Rentals and significant top 6 maybe Coleman but hard to tell since he was injured most of the regular season after the trade or something and he didn’t even play in the top 6 in Tampa 

Ahh ok I missed the top 6 part and was more focused on the 1st round price for buying