[Discussion] Finalizing the Roster at the TDL

I think the Canucks are REALLY close to finalizing a Stanley Cup winning roster.

My thoughts are we are missing one more middle 6 (not really a top 6) hard nosed winger that can take the wing spot next to Miller/Boeser so that Suter can get back to dominating on the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty.

Targets:

Ryan Hartman

Colton Sissons

Mathieu Joseph

Nick Bjugstad

Marcus Johansson

Would be happy with any of the above.  Johansson would be cheapest, but could be good value considering his playoff experience.  The other 4 guys would cost more, but would look fantastic on our roster.  I'd give up a Klimovich or Hirose or Mcward or Mcdonough + 2nd here... not sure which guy we could land for that, but it'd be an excellent addition to the forward group.  Would pretty much need 50% retention on any of the above.

The last piece is a depth defenceman.  Name your guy.  My choice would be another RHD with size and snarl, like Bogosian.

???-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Petey

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Zadorov

Soucy-Myers

Bogosian

Juulsen

Like the Bogosian target

I would like us to try and see if we can pry Greenway from Buffalo and / or Trenin from Nashville, depending on cost of course. Their size on the bottom 6 would really help.

I haven't watched him much so don't know how defensively responsible his game has become (or not), but a cheap 4th liner to target would be our old pal Zach MacEwan. Big, hard to play against, in your face kind of like a poor man's Raffi Torres

Mik Petey Lindholm

Hogs Miller Boeser

Garland Blueger Joshua

Greenway Suter Lafferty / (Trenin or MacEwan).

To me, that bottom six is a pain in the ass to play against.

Edited by Bardown

How about Sam Carrick

Didn't know much about this guy until I started doing some research. 

Hogs - Carrick - Lafferty 4th line for the playoffs I see this line doing some damage and drawing penalties 

• Vintage 1

Suter is a higher end offensive player, but he cant grind like Aman does.  That line goes because all three (especially Aman) support the forecheck with their tenacity.  That isnt really Suter’s game which is more cerebral/positional.  

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

Like the Bogosian target

I would like us to try and see if we can pry Greenway from Buffalo and / or Trenin from Nashville, depending on cost of course. Their size on the bottom 6 would really help.

I haven't watched him much so don't know how defensively responsible his game has become (or not), but a cheap 4th liner to target would be our old pal Zach MacEwan. Big, hard to play against, in your face kind of like a poor man's Raffi Torres

Mik Petey Lindholm

Hogs Miller Boeser

Garland Blueger Joshua

Greenway Suter Lafferty / (Trenin or MacEwan).

To me, that bottom six is a pain in the ass to play against.

MacEwan is bum.

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think the Canucks are REALLY close to finalizing a Stanley Cup winning roster.

My thoughts are we are missing one more middle 6 (not really a top 6) hard nosed winger that can take the wing spot next to Miller/Boeser so that Suter can get back to dominating on the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty.

Targets:

Ryan Hartman

Colton Sissons

Mathieu Joseph

Nick Bjugstad

Marcus Johansson

Would be happy with any of the above.  Johansson would be cheapest, but could be good value considering his playoff experience.  The other 4 guys would cost more, but would look fantastic on our roster.  I'd give up a Klimovich or Hirose or Mcward or Mcdonough + 2nd here... not sure which guy we could land for that, but it'd be an excellent addition to the forward group.  Would pretty much need 50% retention on any of the above.

The last piece is a depth defenceman.  Name your guy.  My choice would be another RHD with size and snarl, like Bogosian.

???-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Petey

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Zadorov

Soucy-Myers

Bogosian

Juulsen

I think Aman has done enough to secure a spot on the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty and so I’d like to keep him in the line-up.  

Neither Cole nor Zadorov should be the teams’ 3rd best defenseman and so I highly suggest an upgrade here (Myers+)

I don’t see a need for another depth defenseman seeing as how we already have both Juulsen and Friedman (Juulsen has looked good whenever he’s been in the line-up).

While Suter and Mikheyev aren’t significant offensive threats, I think their presence on the top 6 gives each line a very strong defensive presence (which could allow their more offensive linemates to cheat a bit more).  Hence - I don’t mind one of Suter or Mikheyev playing with Pettersson/Lindholm or Miller/Boeser.

With respect @HKSR - I think you and I have very different beliefs on what this team’s “final piece” (or pieces) are.

14 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I think Aman has done enough to secure a spot on the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty and so I’d like to keep him in the line-up.  

Neither Cole nor Zadorov should be the teams’ 3rd best defenseman and so I highly suggest an upgrade here (Myers+)

I don’t see a need for another depth defenseman seeing as how we already have both Juulsen and Friedman (Juulsen has looked good whenever he’s been in the line-up).

While Suter and Mikheyev aren’t significant offensive threats, I think their presence on the top 6 gives each line a very strong defensive presence (which could allow their more offensive linemates to cheat a bit more).  Hence - I don’t mind one of Suter or Mikheyev playing with Pettersson/Lindholm or Miller/Boeser.

With respect @HKSR - I think you and I have very different beliefs on what this team’s “final piece” (or pieces) are.

All good. 

I just look back at year's past, and teams with defence cores built like this year's Canucks D core have won it all with the focus on 2 top tier defencemen and then a deep roster of solid NHL capable defencemen to back them up.  Usually a group built with some size. 

VGK - Pietrangelo and Theodore.  The rest:  Martinez, Whitecloud, McNabb, Hague (not really a #3 guy in this list)

COL - Makar and Toews.  The rest:  Manson, Byram, Johnson, Johnson, Girard (Manson or Byram MAYBE as a #3 guy? Manson isn't much different than Zadorov though, and Byram was still very young)

TBL - Hedman and Cernak.  The rest: Mcdonagh, Sergachev, Savard, Ruuta, Schenn (this D group was pretty stacked. They arguably had 5 top 4 guys in this roster).

TBL - Hedman and Shattenkirk.  The rest:  Cernak, Mcdonagh, Sergachev, Bogosian, Schenn, Ruuta (again, a stacked D core of several top 4 guys).

Blues - Pietrangelo and Parayko.  The rest:  Edmundson, Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarson, Bortuzzo (Canucks are built like this IMO)

Capitals - Carlson and Orlov.  The rest:  Niskanen, Kempny, Orpik, Djoos (pretty bland D group, but solid defensive ability).

Penguins - Letang and Schultz.  The rest:  Cole, Hainsey, Maata, Dumoulin, Daley (also think the Canucks are built like this.  No surprise given our Penguins connection).

Penguins - Letang and ???.  The rest:  Dumoulin, Maata, Lovejoy, Daley, Schultz, Cole (have no idea how they won with this group, but they did lol).

Most of these Cup winning teams don't have a true #3.  TBL were absolutely stacked, so we can't compare with them at all. 

All of them have a true #1D, a very solid #2, and then several solid defensive capable defencemen.  The Penguins were the extreme end of things, and TBL was the other end.  I think the Canucks are somewhere in between:

Canucks - Hughes and Hronek.  The rest:  Zadorov, Soucy, Myers, Cole, Juulsen. 

I think this works when you have top tier goaltending.  That's the X-factor that makes up for any slight shortcomings on the back end.  There's nothing that can compensate for a forward group that doesn't generate offence though.

I don't see this as much different than VGK, Blues, Capitals, or Penguins.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

All good. 

I just look back at year's past, and teams with defence cores built like this year's Canucks D core have won it all with the focus on 2 top tier defencemen and then a deep roster of solid NHL capable defencemen to back them up.  Usually a group built with some size. 

VGK - Pietrangelo and Theodore.  The rest:  Martinez, Whitecloud, McNabb, Hague (not really a #3 guy in this list)

COL - Makar and Toews.  The rest:  Manson, Byram, Johnson, Johnson, Girard (Manson or Byram MAYBE as a #3 guy? Manson isn't much different than Zadorov though, and Byram was still very young)

TBL - Hedman and Cernak.  The rest: Mcdonagh, Sergachev, Savard, Ruuta, Schenn (this D group was pretty stacked. They arguably had 5 top 4 guys in this roster).

TBL - Hedman and Shattenkirk.  The rest:  Cernak, Mcdonagh, Sergachev, Bogosian, Schenn, Ruuta (again, a stacked D core of several top 4 guys).

Blues - Pietrangelo and Parayko.  The rest:  Edmundson, Dunn, Bouwmeester, Gunnarson, Bortuzzo (Canucks are built like this IMO)

Capitals - Carlson and Orlov.  The rest:  Niskanen, Kempny, Orpik, Djoos (pretty bland D group, but solid defensive ability).

Penguins - Letang and Schultz.  The rest:  Cole, Hainsey, Maata, Dumoulin, Daley (also think the Canucks are built like this.  No surprise given our Penguins connection).

Penguins - Letang and ???.  The rest:  Dumoulin, Maata, Lovejoy, Daley, Schultz, Cole (have no idea how they won with this group, but they did lol).

Most of these Cup winning teams don't have a true #3.  TBL were absolutely stacked, so we can't compare with them at all. 

All of them have a true #1D, a very solid #2, and then several solid defensive capable defencemen.  The Penguins were the extreme end of things, and TBL was the other end.  I think the Canucks are somewhere in between:

Canucks - Hughes and Hronek.  The rest:  Zadorov, Soucy, Myers, Cole, Juulsen. 

I think this works when you have top tier goaltending.  That's the X-factor that makes up for any slight shortcomings on the back end.  There's nothing that can compensate for a forward group that doesn't generate offence though.

I don't see this as much different than VGK, Blues, Capitals, or Penguins.

This is a really good post and thank you for creating this.  🙂

Perhaps I’m being overly critical of our current Canucks but I still think our team is overly reliant on Quinn Hughes, and that we’ll need one more Hronek calibre dman.  Time will tell however. ❤️

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

This is a really good post and thank you for creating this.  🙂

Perhaps I’m being overly critical of our current Canucks but I still think our team is overly reliant on Quinn Hughes, and that we’ll need one more Hronek calibre dman.  Time will tell however. ❤️

I think you just want us to have the best chance possible.  We all do.  When we sit back and look at our roster though, there really isn't anything stopping us from going all the way this year except for injuries.  That's probably the deciding factor as it usually is -- luck.

• Cheers 1