The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

12 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm not an economist but I do feel like over 430k in 3 months is probably far too many

430k in Q3 is really skewed because it includes international students returning to start the school year in September. 2021 and 2022 had fairly few international students compared to pre-covid numbers and it rebounded this fall.

• Upvote 1

Immigration is totally out of control and weighing heavily on the housing crisis. They are aiming for about 450k immigrants per year (assuming this was the calculated sweet spot using economics) but ending up with over 1,000,000/year due to loopholes and bad policy. Increasing the population at the current rate is ludacris and the current Canadian citizens are paying the price. Is this country any better off then it was 10 years ago, I dont think it is.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

There's a sheep herding joke in here somewhere...

But I take it that nobody has a point/counterpoint on actual numbers needed for a healthy balance going forward?

here's some background on the 500k number. So yeah, its pretty much required if we hope to have the GDP needed to deal with our debt and current program levels.

If anyone wants to go to austerity, then we can reduce immigration. Which would really put us behind the 8 ball globally, we need far more skilled immigrants.

Thats the real danger in Skippy's non-plan, losing out on the worlds skilled workers. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/consultations/2023-consultations-immigration-levels-report.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/02/infographic-immigration-and-canadas-economic-recovery.html

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

One should not have to pay $2200 CAD per month for a studio apartment in Joyce-Collingwood, lol.  

C'mon man.

I will always love Vancouver and will always want Vancouver to be the #1 city in the world one day, but the city has gone to hell in many respects.  The city needs to find a way to

1. Significantly reduce cost of living

2. Triple and maybe even quadruple its police budget

3. Get rid of Neo-liberalism and radical left policies

4. Address the homelessness problem

5. Significantly tighten up lax drug policies.     

18 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Immigration is totally out of control and weighing heavily on the housing crisis. They are aiming for about 450k immigrants per year (assuming this was the calculated sweet spot using economics) but ending up with over 1,000,000/year due to loopholes and bad policy. Increasing the population at the current rate is ludacris and the current Canadian citizens are paying the price. Is this country any better off then it was 10 years ago, I dont think it is.  

curious, what loopholes are you hearing about?

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

One should not have to pay $2200 CAD per month for a studio apartment in Joyce-Collingwood, lol.  

C'mon man.

I will always love Vancouver and will always want Vancouver to be the #1 city in the world one day, but the city has gone to hell in many respects.  The city needs to find a way to

What does neo-liberalism mean to you?

Edited by MattJVD

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

C'mon man.

1, thats what the thread is about

2, we need more law enforcement everywhere. They are having a hard time recruiting 

3,I dont understadn number 3, can you explain?

4, that problem is everywhere and Vancouver is no exception.

5. which drugs? the illegal ones I would guess? 

* I ran a liquor store near the DTES for a decade. I can tell you that booze is a massive problem for the homeless community as it is for society as a whole. Tightening drug policies wont do much. You will never stop the tiny sized powerful drugs and as I mentioned people need help with the booze too. Im in favour of legalising everything, tax it, put the profits to health care and education/support. 

Edit: saw your response to 3...disagree as I explained in 5

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

curious, what loopholes are you hearing about?

The biggest one I've seen is in relation to having a member of your family already being a Canadian citizen, pretty much opens the door for all other family members and it cascades. Canada is well known for its loose immigration policy was even cited by the Israeli government when discussing options for Palestinians being displaced to.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

There is a good report on this - I'll locate it when in at a computer and post it. But yes it's around 500k per year.

Which is still less than the housing we're building...which has only reduced with higher interest rates causing housing starts to plummet.

Reducing immigration doesn't fix the housing crisis. Building more houses does.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

An example. 

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 1.49.54 AM.png

The "war on drugs" doesn't work. Waste of policing, court and prison costs. Why do you love wasting taxpayer money? Far better to address the societal issues that cause chronic drug abuse...mental health, housing, income disparity, etc, etc... 

31 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Is this country any better off then it was 10 years ago, I dont think it is.  

How many countries are? Seems most of the world is dealing with a pretty serious post-pandemic, supply chain, Ukraine invasion etc hangover with a nice helping of aging population/upside down demographics on the side. Is Trudeau to blame for all that?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And there it is. 

Yeah, PP's little dog whistles and non-planning isn't the way forward. In fact, I think he's probably just lying about it. He knows we can't afford to reduce immigration by any significant amount. 

Which makes his attack dog style on municipalities so odd. The guy only cares about setting up internet arguments and you tube videos for the "win". 

PP's supposed answer to the housing crisis is to lower the number of skilled immigrants and tank our GDP. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The biggest one I've seen is in relation to having a member of your family already being a Canadian citizen, pretty much opens the door for all other family members and it cascades. Canada is well known for its loose immigration policy was even cited by the Israeli government when discussing options for Palestinians being displaced to.    

huh. I've seen many stories on how hard it is for people to bring family members over. 

On 9/18/2023 at 4:19 PM, -AJ- said:

Yeah, a long commute is a deal-killer for me. If I were to move to a cheaper area, it would be if I had a job there too. No way am I doing a 50+ min communte twice a day. Heck, I even get annoyed when it takes me 20 minutes to get to work now. Time is very valuable to me.

Crazy thing for me to think about is others who are less fortunate that I am. I make a decent living, especially for a single guy. I know people with families who make the same or maybe even less than I do. As an accountant, I have prospects to make a high income in the future, so I can realistically aim to own property in the future, but for others in careers less likely to make good money? I can't imagine how defeating it is to just know that you'll never own your own home for your entire life unless you move away.

I frame it differently. I love my commute. 
30 minutes down a country road with the sun at my back. 
Put on hockey talk or music. 
Between the crazy people at work and teenager drama at home that is the best time of day. 

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Which is still less than the housing we're building...which has only reduced with higher interest rates causing housing starts to plummet.

The "war on drugs" doesn't work. Waste of policing, court and prison costs. Why do you love wasting taxpayer money? Far better to address the societal issues that cause chronic drug abuse...mental health, housing, income disparity, etc, etc... 

How many countries are? Seems most of the world is dealing with a pretty serious post-pandemic, supply chain, Ukraine invasion etc hangover with a nice helping of aging population/upside down demographics on the side. Is Trudeau to blame for all that?

Trudeau is the Jim Benning of running a country, his highlight reel of positives will be real short when he is finished relative to his duration. Its not Bennings fault he inherited a bad team from Gillis. It doesnt mean you cant make improvements. 

5 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Trudeau is the Jim Benning of running a country, his highlight reel of positives will be real short when he is finished relative to his duration. Its not Bennings fault he inherited a bad team from Gillis. It doesnt mean you cant make improvements. 

And like Benning, he is leaving the country better than how he found it.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I honestly don't give a crap about Trudeau and neither should you. Stop letting him live rent free in your head and letting yourself be distracted by the sideshow crap (most of which he's not even responsible for).

Look for solutions, not problems. Frankly neither of the two leading parties are offering much there.