The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Tax payers have to fund these social programs for these irresponsible people (most of which probably do not take the programs seriously).  

You were funding police, court and prison costs before (on top of medical ones)....

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You were funding police, court and prison costs before (on top of medical ones)....

Fair enough.

My solution is then this:  

If society (in Vancouver) wants to take a more liberalized and laxed approach to drug use, then go ahead.  

They should privatize healthcare in that case so that their behaviour doesn't hurt/waste tax payers dollars. 

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Fair enough.

My solution is then this:  

If society (in Vancouver) wants to take a more liberalized and laxed approach to drug use, then go ahead.  

They should privatize healthcare in that case so that their behaviour doesn't hurt/waste tax payers dollars. 

I'd much rather just legalize, regulate, and tax everything.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm all for raising the minimum wage to something livable.

That would be great, until companies start laying everyone off (like at Pizza Hut in California) and then they'll be even worse off...what is a livable wage here anyway? Quite high I would think? 

California Pizza Hut Lays Off Every Delivery Driver as Wages Rise to $20 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

That would be great, until companies start laying everyone off (like at Pizza Hut in California) and then they'll be even worse off...what is a livable wage here anyway? Quite high I would think? 

not a problem. You let the drug users overpay for Skip the dishes deliveries. You think people wont pay for PIZZA? thats part of the issue, all these companies earning billions and not even paying a living wage.

They would even make money if they had to pay employees $30 per hour. This whole scare tactic thing is creating poverty and protecting the wealthy.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

International migration accounted for nearly all growth from July 1, 2022, to July 1, 2023 (98%)

It is more just loose policy making and prioritizing short term gain over long term sustainability. Instead of planning ahead and building homes and infrastructure, they are chasing the rabbit while the cost of living increasingly puts extra strain on many families nation wide. The new generation of kids coming up not sure they can ever afford to buy a home is crushing. Especially with the land mass and naturally resources such as timber available in Canada.    

I'd be interested to see where that number came from....

According to what I can find out the birth rate in Canada for 2023 was about 10 per 1000 people.  https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/birth-rate

Simple math tells me that this is equal to about 400,000 births, yet if 98% of the 1,030,378 total you cited is immigrants, that leaves only just over 20,000 for births. Maybe you can clear up that discrepancy.....:classic_unsure:

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

According to what I can find out the birth rate in Canada for 2023 was about 10 per 1000 people.  https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/CAN/canada/birth-rate

Simple math tells me that this is equal to about 400,000 births, yet if 98% of the 1,030,378 total you cited is immigrants, that leaves only just over 20,000 for births. Maybe you can clear up that discrepancy.....:classic_unsure:

some of us Die.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

some of us Die.

Some of us Die, or get over 50 years old and no one wants to hire us to do construction, due to injury risks or whatever. So all the sudden you have a whole bunch of useless people that no one counts in employment numbers or unemployment numbers but the fact is we still need a place to live.

We are willing to do those minimum wage jobs, but the employers get some benifit or tax break hiring immigrants. Why would you take a 50 year old when you can get a eagar 20 year old fresh from India?

• ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Well then f pizza hut, buy from a company that treats it's employees fairly. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Vintage 2

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Canadians are scared to have kids and condoms are much cheaper. And, Some of us die. Just to add to that. I have 3 boys and none feel financially secure enough to start a family.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Close to 350,000 people in Canada will die this year.  334,000 people died last year.  So that pretty much offsets all of the births, which leaves 98% of new population growth attributed to immigration…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

Canadians are scared to have kids and condoms are much cheaper. And, Some of us die. Just to add to that. I have 3 boys and none feel financially secure enough to start a family.

Canadians are scared to have kids because they can’t afford kids.  That’s the problem.  So not sure why some people keep bringing up the fact that Canadians need to birth more people which will allow less immigration.  

The average family living in Vancouver can barely afford to pay their rent, nevermind pay for 2 kids.  Just one kid alone will cost a family over $350,000 from birth to age 17.  That’s a huge commitment and takes away from being able to save for a down payment for a home.  

Even marriage is expensive.  In the 1940’s 10.9 out of 1000 people were married.  Today it is less than half that at 4.4. There are just as many single people in Canada as married people.

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Well then f pizza hut, buy from a company that treats it's employees fairly. 

Yeah, I am sure that nobody would have any problem with paying $25 for a fast food burger or $50 for a pizza, so there is no doubt that if every employer raised their wages to "living wages" (and the price of their products/services by a commensurate amount) that everybody would continue to buy their products, nobody would get laid off, and everybody would live happily ever after.

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I am sure that nobody would have any problem with paying $25 for a fast food burger or $50 for a pizza, so there is no doubt that if every employer raised their wages to "living wages" (and the price of their products/services by a commensurate amount) that everybody would continue to buy their products, nobody would get laid off, and everybody would live happily ever after.

Why is the fast food price more important than a stable job?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The Mcdonalds a block away from me just spent a month and who knows how many thousands, renovating a perfectly fine dining area. I wont pay $12 for a quarter pounder meal but obviously people still are.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

8 hours ago, Tusk said:

Some of us Die, or get over 50 years old and no one wants to hire us to do construction, due to injury risks or whatever. So all the sudden you have a whole bunch of useless people that no one counts in employment numbers or unemployment numbers but the fact is we still need a place to live.

We are willing to do those minimum wage jobs, but the employers get some benifit or tax break hiring immigrants. Why would you take a 50 year old when you can get a eagar 20 year old fresh from India?

It's against the law to discriminate due to age. You're not allowed to ask someone's age in a job interview. In my liquor store group I hired quite a few 50+ staff.

In the last 5 years I have done some timber frame work and I am now going in to a solid government job at 49 years old.

Times are changing. 50 isn't old anymore 😎

https://businesschief.com/leadership-and-strategy/move-over-millennials-some-canadian-companies-50-new-25

Companies in provinces all across Canada are setting their sights on older workers and the staffing switch is benefiting everyone involved. From experience to dedication and every quality in between, employees 50 and older have a lot to offer the Canadian workforce. If your company is looking for great workers, here are just a few reasons the 50+ crowd is the perfect fit:

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why is the fast food price more important than a stable job?

The point is, if you pay so much to your employees that you need to charge an exorbitant amount for your products/services to make any profit, customers will stop buying them, your business will cease to exist, and so will the jobs. Jacking up wages dramatically does not make jobs more stable. It does the opposite.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

The point is, if you pay so much to your employees that you need to charge an exorbitant amount for your products/services to make any profit, customers will stop buying them, your business will cease to exist, and so will the jobs. Jacking up wages dramatically does not make jobs more stable. It does the opposite.

McDs spends about 20% on labor, so the idea that food would be too expensive with living wages isn't correct. They also vary prices by location where people are willing to pay more, so we know prices can go up by more than enough to cover wages, there isnt a fixed McDs price schedule.

Living wages will help with a more stable economy. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

There is no evidence of that. And also, "Jacking up wages dramatically" should never have been the problem in the first place.

if the grocery can charge 4 or 5 bucks for bread and people still buy it, that is your evidence that you can pay people double what you did 3 years ago

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

McDs spends about 20% on labor, so the idea that food would be too expensive with living wages isn't correct. They also vary prices by location where people are willing to pay more, so we know prices can go up by more than enough to cover wages, there isnt a fixed McDs price schedule.

Living wages will help with a more stable economy. 

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

There is no evidence of that. And also, "Jacking up wages dramatically" should never have been the problem in the first place.

if the grocery can charge 4 or 5 bucks for bread and people still buy it, that is your evidence that you can pay people double what you did 3 years ago

What I stated applies to every business, not just Mickey D's. When wages go up, the price of whatever the employees produce needs to go up. When prices go up, consumers generally will buy less or stop buying completely. You can choose to be willfully ignorant of these simple economic realities if you want.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What I stated applies to every business, not just Mickey D's. When wages go up, the price of whatever the employees produce needs to go up. When prices go up, consumers generally will buy less or stop buying completely. You can choose to be willfully ignorant of these simple economic realities if you want.

You learn that in some fancy prep school or elite college?