The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

18 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

LOL  now I am agreeing with you.

I've been asking everyone who would listen what the other options are.  Trudeau and Poiliverre can screech themselves hoarse about who is to blame and how they'll fix it but big business does not like regulations or intervention.

Once the government starts dictating terms business will start dumping units.  That will trigger a run and more units will hit the market.  Coupled with government funded or intervened units hitting the market it will create a rush in the market and the volume of units will cause reductions.  As these reductions happen people will see their net worh shrink and the money they have tied up in loans on the equity of their homes will cause even greater issues.

As the units increase and the level of wealth decreases we'll see a run on purchases by corporations, the wealthy and developers buying units at 30% ish below current market value or more because interest rates, strained finances and the lost equity will keep regular people from buying in to the market.

Once the dust settles developers, corporations and the few who had the money to make bank on things will come out ahead and Trudeau or Poiliverre will be left holding the bag screaming about who is at fault for it

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I've been asking everyone who would listen what the other options are.  Trudeau and Poiliverre can screech themselves hoarse about who is to blame and how they'll fix it but big business does not like regulations or intervention.

Once the government starts dictating terms business will start dumping units.  That will trigger a run and more units will hit the market.  Coupled with government funded or intervened units hitting the market it will create a rush in the market and the volume of units will cause reductions.  As these reductions happen people will see their net worh shrink and the money they have tied up in loans on the equity of their homes will cause even greater issues.

As the units increase and the level of wealth decreases we'll see a run on purchases by corporations, the wealthy and developers buying units at 30% ish below current market value or more because interest rates, strained finances and the lost equity will keep regular people from buying in to the market.

Once the dust settles developers, corporations and the few who had the money to make bank on things will come out ahead and Trudeau or Poiliverre will be left holding the bag screaming about who is at fault for it

I bought cap.un just to grief you lol. Take solace and buy it yourself.

What your are describing is a market crash floor. And yes I hope to be one of those vultures.

Both parties are responsible for inflating the market. Who is on watch when it pops is irrelevant. Harper started the inflation. Trudeau made it WAY worse. Both parties are to blame. Anyone that extended a mortgage amort or put out an unbalanced budget caused the mess we are in.

What I find kind of funny is construction is already going full out on residential construction. As much as I have policies to increase rental units in the long term, there no way to legislate more construction workers, especially if you want it in the near future! And if you have more construction workers I need a bunch of them to fix all the roads and sewers and dykes and such. That's not including new projects to green up the grid for example.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:18 PM, Barnstorm said:

I can’t fathom working in any service or health related industry. Hard to imagine what you were doing for $21.60 hourly. Graveyards are almost tolerable when you’re young and even have a few benefits however not good as one ages . 
Trades are a good way to go: less schooling, steady pay increases, work available outside the big cities and lots of ot just to name a few plus points. 

You're not wrong, there's a lot of work in trades, but they aren't for everyone. 

I tried going to school for carpentry back in 2014, pulled out within a couple weeks. I'm physically fit enough to do any trades work you could probably think of but that's just not how my brain works. My math disability makes it hard to get through any of the schooling, graphs and the like don't compute. I thought it'd be a good idea but it just wasn't doable. There are other trades I could have tried but after my carpentry experience I never believed I'd be able to do the schooling.

Thing is, while trades are necessary and we need more people to enter trades, we need other people working in other roles too. I saw my share of overdoses, I watched a guy take four or five shots of naloxone before coming back, I came on shift into a scenario where the shift prior had found someone deceased in their room. I did check ins and saw people in rooms with needles in their arms, I got to listen to a devastated man come back to site after having been bloodied and attacked by random folks on the street. I was very fortunate to have never found someone who'd died while doing my rounds but I knew it was going to be an inevitable thing when I took the job, it comes with the territory, had I stayed on it'd have happened eventually.  I've seen some raw stuff, but people are needed in those roles, and in human services roles in general. 

Now, I understand you weren't implying there isn't a need in other sectors, that's not what you were saying at all. There is money and work in trades, no question, it can be a great route for some folks. But folks should be able to do more than just eke by regardless of which sector they're working in. Including fast food workers and those who work retail or low level management gigs, and laborers and so on. One shouldn't have to pursue a bachelors degree (or better) or a trade ticket to have any chance of getting away from the poverty line. Canada is a very educated country and I think that's wonderful, but folks should be able to live well without it. 

Wages haven't kept up with the costs of living, food bank use has skyrocketed alongside housing and rental prices over the past few years. I would wager to say house ownership is probably out of reach for the average Canadian at this point and there's a lot of angst stemming from that, particularly for younger generations who've grown up with drearier economies. Sooner or later something's gotta give. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ronthecivil said:

What I find kind of funny is construction is already going full out on residential construction. As much as I have policies to increase rental units in the long term, there no way to legislate more construction workers, especially if you want it in the near future! And if you have more construction workers I need a bunch of them to fix all the roads and sewers and dykes and such. That's not including new projects to green up the grid for example.

See, I have a background similar as I used to do bridge replacement and abutment 

I know full well that our housing sector is building flat out.  There's literally nobody left to build more.  What will happen is we'll see shoddy construction and endless deficiencies.  Like leaky condos x 100 nation wide.

We're already seeing it crop up in Alberta after the massive expansion of townhomes/rowhomes in some areas between 2009 and 2015.

PS...I also kinda hope to be one of those vultures.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, Bounce000 said:

I’m considering a move to Central America as well. My wife is from El Salvador so we have family and friends there for support. The only draw backs is lack of hockey, the language barrier, and someone with tattoos on their face could decapitate me.

Like these guys? Decapitation or listening to their whole album, you must choose.

On 9/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

Fair enough... Each to his own.  Both my kids are in their mid and late twenties.... Both amazing humans.  I am very proud to be their Dad.  But to the point of this thread.  Both if them are very challenged to get ahead in the current economic state of Canada.  Unless land is handed down to them... They will most likely be renting for most of their adult lives.  I couldn't afford to help them in that area and my land was to small in order for them to build on mine.  Now however, I have 4 acres and lots of room for them both and their future families.  It's a sacrifice... And I miss them both, but I know at least, if the economic climate continues as it is in North America, I'll be ready to help them both.

Our son is 28 and also a great person..  He has a good Govt job with a defined pension plan and $100,000 in the bank.  So he may be able to buy something one day.  Especially when we downsize and can help him out more.

I love Vancouver Island too much to ever move but we are also financially secure. Live in a great safe neighbour hood which means a lot.

I love the weather...the snow....the nice summers.  I have a fantastic Doctor who is young and will outlive me 🙂

I guess I am a lifer.....lol.

As Valdy sang at my house....

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Our son is 28 and also a great person..  He has a good Govt job with a defined pension plan and $100,000 in the bank.  So he may be able to buy something one day.  Especially when we downsize and can help him out more.

I love Vancouver Island too much to ever move but we are also financially secure. Live in a great safe neighbour hood which means a lot.

I love the weather...the snow....the nice summers.  I have a fantastic Doctor who is young and will outlive me 🙂

I guess I am a lifer.....lol.

As Valdy sang at my house....

Wow!  So funny!  I grew up with Valdy!  Well his kids anyway.  He lives on salt spring.... Has for many years.  In the south end of the island... On Weston lake... The lake I learned to swim in back in the late 70's!  Seen him perform... Well, lost count!  But he's salty springs first kinda famous personality... That never left.  He's a good man!

You know, I get what you're saying.  I think, possibly, if I'd set myself up better in my earlier years.  I may have chose to stay... But you know, I'm really happy with my direction and choice.  Also, to be quite honest, I may very well still have an opportunity to own some very lucrative land downtown salt spring through family within the next 10 years.  We'll see but for now, I have my best life... Sounds like you do to!  And congrats on you 28 yr old son having his sh*t together at such a young age.  You must be proud!   

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Wow!  So funny!  I grew up with Valdy!  Well his kids anyway.  He lives on salt spring.... Has for many years.  In the south end of the island... On Weston lake... The lake I learned to swim in back in the late 70's!  Seen him perform... Well, lost count!  But he's salty springs first kinda famous personality... That never left.  He's a good man!

You know, I get what you're saying.  I think, possibly, if I'd set myself up better in my earlier years.  I may have chose to stay... But you know, I'm really happy with my direction and choice.  Also, to be quite honest, I may very well still have an opportunity to own some very lucrative land downtown salt spring through family within the next 10 years.  We'll see but for now, I have my best life... Sounds like you do to!  And congrats on you 28 yr old son having his sh*t together at such a young age.  You must be proud!   

Valdy us such a wonderful man.  I am friends with his wife on Facebook which is how I was able to book him in-between gigs on his way back to Salt Spring.  He stayed and chatted with everyone (only 12 of us) and a answered questions.   He also spent time with my son in his room looking at his Taylor Made and Rickenbacher guitars.  I asked him who was the one person he was impressed meeting and it was Quincy Jones.

Hope to have him back again.  A true gentleman.   

I first saw him in 1974 at Cowichan High School.  My friend still has his ticket stub.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

You're not wrong, there's a lot of work in trades, but they aren't for everyone. 

I tried going to school for carpentry back in 2014, pulled out within a couple weeks. I'm physically fit enough to do any trades work you could probably think of but that's just not how my brain works. My math disability makes it hard to get through any of the schooling, graphs and the like don't compute. I thought it'd be a good idea but it just wasn't doable. There are other trades I could have tried but after my carpentry experience I never believed I'd be able to do the schooling.

Thing is, while trades are necessary and we need more people to enter trades, we need other people working in other roles too. I saw my share of overdoses, I watched a guy take four or five shots of naloxone before coming back, I came on shift into a scenario where the shift prior had found someone deceased in their room. I did check ins and saw people in rooms with needles in their arms, I got to listen to a devastated man come back to site after having been bloodied and attacked by random folks on the street. I was very fortunate to have never found someone who'd died while doing my rounds but I knew it was going to be an inevitable thing when I took the job, it comes with the territory, had I stayed on it'd have happened eventually.  I've seen some raw stuff, but people are needed in those roles, and in human services roles in general. 

Now, I understand you weren't implying there isn't a need in other sectors, that's not what you were saying at all. There is money and work in trades, no question, it can be a great route for some folks. But folks should be able to do more than just eke by regardless of which sector they're working in. Including fast food workers and those who work retail or low level management gigs, and laborers and so on. One shouldn't have to pursue a bachelors degree (or better) or a trade ticket to have any chance of getting away from the poverty line. Canada is a very educated country and I think that's wonderful, but folks should be able to live well without it. 

Wages haven't kept up with the costs of living, food bank use has skyrocketed alongside housing and rental prices over the past few years. I would wager to say house ownership is probably out of reach for the average Canadian at this point and there's a lot of angst stemming from that, particularly for younger generations who've grown up with drearier economies. Sooner or later something's gotta give. 

I agree with what you have said. 

These are tedious and difficult times . Hopefully a new government in the near future can turn this around. 

Your difficulty with math is more than compensated for by an ability to convey information and thoughts in writing. You write well.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent some time looking at the housing market in Langley again and it's staggering that anyone can afford to buy now. You have to have a properly high salary to consider it. I'll probably end up going back to Abbotsford closer to family, even though I work in Langley right now. The difference in property costs is staggering and probably worth the gas/commute. In the long run, I'd probably find a job that's closer anyway.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Just spent some time looking at the housing market in Langley again and it's staggering that anyone can afford to buy now. You have to have a properly high salary to consider it. I'll probably end up going back to Abbotsford closer to family, even though I work in Langley right now. The difference in property costs is staggering and probably worth the gas/commute. In the long run, I'd probably find a job that's closer anyway.

I don't think it's new buyers to be perfectly honest because most wouldn't qualify. It's people selling their houses and putting half of that money down on the new one, thus making the amount you're mortgaging half the price so then you qualify. All you have to do is look at what the average income is in British Columbia and ask yourself, There's no way these are new home buyers unless family is giving them a lot of money for down payment. Alberta over the last year has seen enormous amounts of people from BC moving here because of what you're talking about right now. Our house prices are up significantly and they will stay up even with higher interest rates because of the fact we are getting lots of people from Ontario and British Columbia that are selling out and buying a house cash.

Edited by Ryan Strome

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Lol look at Winfield and lake country.

Then look at the average income of those areas.  It's insane 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Gurn said:

On the old site, I'd mentioned that Freshco 4ltr pails of ice milk were $5 bucks-about 2 years ago, and had been keeping track.

Those same pails are now $7.29    or about 45.5% more.

But, but inflation is almost under control..

Such nonsense. I had two bags of groceries last night, small bags. 109 dollars. Sure we shop organic and healthy but 109$ is stupid. There was no meats at all lol.

Goin good boys!

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I won't be too terribly active in this thread, because like the debt and deficit situation: Canada's inflation rate is okay relative to every other G7 and even G20 country. 

The globe is facing this inflation monster, NOT just Canadians. The Global Situation is adding to it, not the LIberal Government Policies. 

Largely folks will disagree with my statement and it isn't worth fighting with them over. Have fun and keep it polite folks. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I won't be too terribly active in this thread, because like the debt and deficit situation: Canada's inflation rate is okay relative to every other G7 and even G20 country. 

The globe is facing this inflation monster, NOT just Canadians. The Global Situation is adding to it, not the LIberal Government Policies. 

Largely folks will disagree with my statement and it isn't worth fighting with them over. Have fun and keep it polite folks. 

Only because you responded and said it has nothing to do with the liberal government. I'm going to quote you and ask a quick question. How much is the carbon tax on fuel imposed by the liberal government?

Canada

Higher prices at Canadian gasoline stations is part of the reason its consumer inflation reached 7.6% for the 12-month period ending in July. The previous CPI report showed 8.1% inflation, the largest yearly change since January 1983, which was driven in part by high gasoline prices.

@Optimist Prime did anybody even blame the liberal government or did you just preemptively defend them?? Lol

Edited by Ryan Strome

On 10/12/2023 at 2:08 PM, Optimist Prime said:

Yes, apparently some believe that none of the other countries in the world are having to deal with inflation; inflation is purely a Canadian problem caused by our politicians.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

in 2023 I would give you these suggestions to help with expenses. 1.if your single, Do whatever you can to live as close as possible to your workplace, or even better work remotely, It may require selling your car to help cover the extra expenses if your workplace is more central to the core of a city... and if its not feasible I would recommend looking for companies in your trade that pay similar that are closer to your bed...

2. start a side hustle, something that's easy and fun for you to do... no stress and you can pick up whenever you want to..

3. i would highly recommend doing a serious look into how much it would cost to go without a vehicle in your life. last year i realized that the only time i "needed" to drive my car was for out of town use... in 2023 renting a car for a day is super cheap, all my out of town drives were able to be planned... the time for me to rent a car and start driving can be as little as 15 minutes (if im lucky) and no more than an hour...

4. exercise is a requirement to stay healthy, if you dont have a car consider selling the bus pass and getting a e-bike and maybe multiple of them(cargo e-bikes are great for picking up daily essentials) most cities have a discounted token where you can buy a pack of single use bus fares... (for those really miserable days)

5. Consider the benefit of home delivery services and online shoppers/pickers...(especially if you have a side hustle, dont own a car, or do own a cargo e-bike) self pickup is often free and the cost of delivery can be mitigated by working on your side hustle instead of shopping... most websites save your order histories, have a easy way to organize items by sales and discounts and allows you the time to shop whenever its convenient (even in the middle of the night) selling my car more than covered the costs of my delivery services... you can also save tons of time, I always am overwhelmed when i enter a big box store walking around hunting for the items i need, and can easily get tempted by the low hanging fruit.

6. Invest in a brand new budget computer or laptop. most of the reccomendations above require a fast computer to benefit from the time savings mentioned above and all the planning required to operate a side hustle, rent cars, plan your routes...

you would be surprised how much time you will save by purchasing a brand new budget computer (if your computer takes more than 15 seconds to boot from power up to browsing the internet you are doing it wrong) everything will dramatically reduce in time to load... webpages may not be slow because of your internet, it may be just your ancient computer... (4 years old is ancient) you may be tempted to buy a 2021 model or a 2022 model, dont do it... (some 2022 models would be okay) 2023 computers have brand new CPU technology and Memory technology, it takes time for software and web developers to commit to engineering their products to utilize the new technolgy, but once they do the old technology will be so far behind in speed.    identify the computer you want and wait for a sale direct from the manufacturer.

• Cheers 1