The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

53 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am involved with our small water system here in BC. Bottom line is that over 50% of small water systems aren't even registered with the government. The BC government know about most of them but do no enforcement. The main reason for this, in my opinion, is that they don't have the money to upgrade the systems to drinking water standards and the people using the water don't have the money either. Interior Health help with testing but do not do system inspections like they used to. It is a 'work until it doesn't' policy. Walkerton has faded into history. Our system is ran by volunteers and us old guys are dying off. Paying people to do what I do would triple the cost of our water.  

Thanks Bouds, admittedly I know nothing about small water systems so your post got me interested. You obviously have enough experience that you could have written the ‘challenges’ section of the guide. It also says that there are some 4000 small water systems in BC with most serving less than 15 connections and that ultimately the operator has to make sure that users are charged enough to operate the system safely.

Kudos to you for taking on a pretty serious responsibility as a volunteer.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/air-land-water/water/waterquality/monitoring-water-quality/small_water_system_guidebook_-january_2017.pdf

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I am involved with our small water system here in BC. Bottom line is that over 50% of small water systems aren't even registered with the government. The BC government know about most of them but do no enforcement. The main reason for this, in my opinion, is that they don't have the money to upgrade the systems to drinking water standards and the people using the water don't have the money either. Interior Health help with testing but do not do system inspections like they used to. It is a 'work until it doesn't' policy. Walkerton has faded into history. Our system is ran by volunteers and us old guys are dying off. Paying people to do what I do would triple the cost of our water.  

The lack of clean drinking water in parts of Canada is a travesty.   We have so much water here.  And so often we do nothing about bad water until people get sick and possibly die from drinking it.

To keep it political, I'll voice the opinion that it is not a liberal or conservative failing.   It's a human failing.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Mac said:

Read some news.  Lots went to the turd's "foundation", some went to his criminal environminister's "foundation", and the turd gives tens of millions if not billions away in news releases every day. The other day he gave 10 million of our dollars to help iran/iraq kids...but our own kids in the north don't have clean water to drink. The criminal libs do this constantly as it buys them votes from the 500,000 3rd world citizens they let into our country each year...they are the only reason the criminal turd is still in power...well...them and that idiot sellout singh.

I call bullshit...

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Ours has gone up by a fair bit.  Not gloating, just commenting on how all over the place this seems to be this year.

Yes....it is strange....my sister's house went down by $20,000 but her neighbours went down by $10,000 and it's not a nice as house.

She is in Chemainus.   Prices are still high.

A little rancher up the street from them is $975,000

BC assessments has outdated info on our house as the basement was unfinished when we moved in so the sq footage has doubled.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

54 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Yes....it is strange....my sister's house went down by $20,000 but her neighbours went down by $10,000 and it's not a nice as house.

She is in Chemainus.   Prices are still high.

A little rancher up the street from them is $975,000

BC assessments has outdated info on our house as the basement was unfinished when we moved in so the sq footage has doubled.

There is a ‘report a problem’ button on the assessment but may not be in her best interest unless she’s thinking of selling or believes it to be overvalued. 

55 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There is a ‘report a problem’ button on the assessment but may not be in her best interest unless she’s thinking of selling or believes it to be overvalued. 

She is happy it went down.  But I don 't think she understands that really does not affect property taxes.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:18 PM, Satchmo said:

And then where do the scammed billions go?

https://youtu.be/PvsCYQaqJzQ?si=n9jssPk7EHFh5C6c

Beaucracy... lots of new jobs in bloating the government... great....

100M dollars in drugs for addicts (to placate them) this sure teaches these pour souls the way...

cutting taxes on people who have Oil heated homes.... hmmm....... LOL...

On 12/28/2023 at 3:14 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree. I think it all boils down to this…

Would you rather make $30,000 a year and pay $20 for the pizza and pay $500,000 for your house, or would you rather make $60,000 per year and pay $40 for the pizza and $1 million for your house?

That is where we are at right now.  Raising wages is inflationary regardless how you slice it because at the end of the day either companies raise prices or people spend more with their increased wage.  Both of these things are inflationary in nature.

Our immigration policies are going to help our GDP and grow our economy.  However, because of government incompetence over the last 20+ years in regards to housing, our housing crisis is going to get exponentially worse.  

well i choose option 2... still much better off as a person with lower income, there is ways to reduce your food bill.....

the greater the disparity the easier it is to cut costs...

poor people find ways to cut costs all the time... once i fumbled a smoke and dropped it in some pepsi... didnt wet the filter... let it dry for a few days, burned off the sugar and lit er up... I had to put it out several times... it burned like a cigar slowly...

I dont buy bread anymore unless as a treat, pierogies are cheaper and has more flavour and taste

Pickles and the vinegar it comes in is reused and consumed... Hot sauce and picked vinegar, salt, sugar,pepper, garlic and onions, best bang for your buck for flavoring your food... vegetables i know i wont eat end up in the pickle jar... garlic i have left over ends up in the pickle jar and there is many Brine recipes when you need more liquid...

LOL poor people dont buy pizza from takeout... your pizza place will do just fine... your just going to have to foot the bill... its middle class who gets hurt with minimum wage increases...

a 40 year old that has been in poverty all their life doesnt just satrt spending all the new fancy money... that gets thrown into the savings jar thats been depleted and the finally buy some new socks and underwear and throw out that one pair of pants with the three patches on it...

Obviously not many of you have ever had to live in poverty for long periods of time.

21 hours ago, Satchmo said:

The lack of clean drinking water in parts of Canada is a travesty.   We have so much water here.  And so often we do nothing about bad water until people get sick and possibly die from drinking it.

To keep it political, I'll voice the opinion that it is not a liberal or conservative failing.   It's a human failing.

Not political other than the decision making process of where to spend money. In my experience it is all about the money. As 4petesake pointed out there are thousands of systems that have fewer than 15 families using the water. Often these systems are surface water and subject to contamination. Interior Health has no tried and true method for treating this water. They tell you to treat it and if it doesn't meet standards afterwards it is still the systems responsibility. I know of one system where they spent + $40 k to treat their water and it wasn't good enough. Now they are tapped out and continue operation under a 'boil water' notice. 

At a minimum the government should produce a standardize treatment blueprint and then a amortized method of funding it. 

19 hours ago, Heretic said:

I have heard of shrinkflation, but this is ridiculous!

The bottle on the left is from New Years Eve 2022, the one on the right, 2023:

20240101_114218.jpg

Decides Terrence Howard GIF

• Haha 3

may, and stay with me here, maybe; this has something to do with why stuff is so expensive?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/other/canada-s-top-ceos-have-already-made-more-than-average-worker-will-in-2024/ar-AA1mm8l7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=18018a32885c429ab384146aff94cf12&ei=11

"

Even though 2024 has just begun, Canada's top 100 highest-paid CEOs have already made more than the average worker.

That's according to a new report released Tuesday by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA), which says that the CEOs' pay broke "every record in the book" in 2022.

According to CCPA's data, the top CEOs make $7,162 an hour, which means it takes little over eight hours for them to make $60,607 -- the annual pay of the average worker in Canada.

"If we say that both (CEOs and workers) get paid vacations, like New Year’s Day, then by Tuesday, January 2, 2024, at 9:27 a.m. those CEOs will have already gotten what the average worker makes in a year,” CCPA Senior Economist and author of the report David Macdonald said in a statement.

The report found that the average pay for the top CEOs in 2022 broke an all-time record for the think tank's data series that began in 2008, with an average pay of $14.9 million. That's 246 times the average worker's pay in Canada, up from 241 times in 2021, when the average was $14.3 million.

Sitting at the top of the list is J. Patrick Doyle, the executive chairman of Restaurant Brands International, which owns Tim Hortons, Burger King and Popeyes, among other fast-food chains. He had a total compensation of over $151 million in 2022, far above Matthew Proud, the CEO of software company Dye & Durham Limited, who made nearly $100 million in 2022 and is second on the list.

Macdonald said Doyle's salary was so much higher because he was brought out of retirement to fill his role.

Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri is number four on the list with a total compensation of over $31.5 million in 2022, while Shopify CEO Tobias Lutke is number six at over $26 million.

Galen G. Weston, the CEO of George Weston Limited, which controls Loblaw, made the list with a total compensation of nearly $11.8 million in 2022.

Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau was a little higher on the list than Weston at over $12.3 million.

--------------------------

more at link.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

may, and stay with me here, maybe; this has something to do with why stuff is so expensive?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/other/canada-s-top-ceos-have-already-made-more-than-average-worker-will-in-2024/ar-AA1mm8l7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=18018a32885c429ab384146aff94cf12&ei=11

"

Even though 2024 has just begun, Canada's top 100 highest-paid CEOs have already made more than the average worker.

That's according to a new report released Tuesday by the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA), which says that the CEOs' pay broke "every record in the book" in 2022.

According to CCPA's data, the top CEOs make $7,162 an hour, which means it takes little over eight hours for them to make $60,607 -- the annual pay of the average worker in Canada.

"If we say that both (CEOs and workers) get paid vacations, like New Year’s Day, then by Tuesday, January 2, 2024, at 9:27 a.m. those CEOs will have already gotten what the average worker makes in a year,” CCPA Senior Economist and author of the report David Macdonald said in a statement.

The report found that the average pay for the top CEOs in 2022 broke an all-time record for the think tank's data series that began in 2008, with an average pay of $14.9 million. That's 246 times the average worker's pay in Canada, up from 241 times in 2021, when the average was $14.3 million.

Sitting at the top of the list is J. Patrick Doyle, the executive chairman of Restaurant Brands International, which owns Tim Hortons, Burger King and Popeyes, among other fast-food chains. He had a total compensation of over $151 million in 2022, far above Matthew Proud, the CEO of software company Dye & Durham Limited, who made nearly $100 million in 2022 and is second on the list.

Macdonald said Doyle's salary was so much higher because he was brought out of retirement to fill his role.

Rogers CEO Tony Staffieri is number four on the list with a total compensation of over $31.5 million in 2022, while Shopify CEO Tobias Lutke is number six at over $26 million.

Galen G. Weston, the CEO of George Weston Limited, which controls Loblaw, made the list with a total compensation of nearly $11.8 million in 2022.

Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau was a little higher on the list than Weston at over $12.3 million.

--------------------------

more at link.

An aging population, climate change, growing wage disparity etc were always going to cause inflation and affordability issues. Then we got to add a pandemic, Ukraine invasion and the corresponding supply chain issues and the corporate price gouging that others have already mentioned. Now add Israel...

But yeah, it's all Trudeau and his prairie hating carbon tax... 🤦‍♂️

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Carrefour pulls PepsiCo products over price hikes

From around the world, wish we had more accountability here. "Vive la France!"

image.png.ff54c2204b4a7d628e9e7fa7f05ffa26.png

A sign reading "We are no longer selling this brand due to unacceptable price increases. We apologize for the inconvenience caused." is seen on a shelf for PepsiCo product Cheetos at a Carrefour hypermarket in Paris, France, January 4, 2024. REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq© Thomson Reuters

PARIS (Reuters) -Carrefour is telling customers in four European countries it will no longer sell products like Pepsi, Lay's crisps and 7up because they have become too costly, in the latest tug-of-war over prices between retailers and global food giants.

image.png.510ae5f91839739d25a1743b410c7995.png

From Thursday, shelves for PepsiCo products at Carrefour stores in France, Italy, Spain and Belgium will carry signs saying the store will no longer be stocking the brands "due to unacceptable price increases", a spokesperson for the French supermarket giant said.

image.png.71e1a0e12589284d016f8edc9abf2b8c.png

Some PepsiCo products like Cheetos and 7Up were not available at a Carrefour supermarket in the Paris suburb of Auteuil on Thursday, while others like Pepsi were still on shelves, next to the sign.

At a Carrefour supermarket in Paris' posh 16th district, customers broadly cheered the move.

"It doesn't surprise me at all," shopper Edith Carpentier told Reuters. "I think there will be lots of products left on the shelves because they have become too expensive, and they are all things we can avoid buying."

PepsiCo did not respond to a request for comment.

The U.S. company said in October it planned "modest" price increases this year as demand held up despite rises, leading it to hike its 2023 profit forecast for a third straight time.

Over the past year, grocery retailers in several countries including Germany and Belgium announced they had stopped orders from consumer goods firms due to price rises, a tactic in price negotiations that have become more fraught due to inflation.

Carrefour has been one of the most active retailers to challenge big consumer products and food companies over prices.

Last year, it started a "shrinkflation" campaign of sticking warnings on products that have shrunk in size but cost more.

In its efforts to lower inflation, the French government has asked retailers and suppliers to wrap up annual price negotiations in January, two months sooner than usual.

image.png.1c4b18171ba8857fcb6dee6abdd78cb0.png

A sign reading "We are no longer selling this brand due to unacceptable price increases. We apologize for the inconvenience caused." is seen on a shelf for PepsiCo product Benenuts at a Carrefour hypermarket in Paris, France, January 4, 2024. REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq

France is unusual in Europe in that it strongly regulates the retail sector, forcing supermarkets to negotiate prices only once a year with food and drink producers, in an attempt to protect its farm industry.

But the last negotiation round early last year, at the peak of the inflation crisis, locked in very high price increases across the board, which has hit turnover at supermarkets and made them keen to negotiate price cuts this time round.

image.png.bf306c506f352218618fb14df637a4e8.png

A sign reading "We are no longer selling this brand due to unacceptable price increases. We apologize for the inconvenience caused." is seen on a shelf for PepsiCo product Lipton at a Carrefour hypermarket in Paris, France, January 4, 2024. REUTERS/Stephanie Lecocq

"The French supermarkets, we know, are very, very ready to delist people if they don't like the deals that they get," said James Walton, chief economist at the Institute of Grocery Distribution.

"Obviously that's a last resort, because nobody wins if the goods that people want are not available on the shelves."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Carrefour pulls PepsiCo products over price hikes

From around the world, wish we had more accountability here. "Vive la France!"

Like I said in the climate change thread:

On 1/3/2024 at 10:23 AM, aGENT said:

Governments (we, the people) need to actually use said government, laws etc to balance this out. People have gotten fat, lazy and forgotten who actually has the power, while letting the wealthy and their corporations lead us around by our privates. If people want to stop the economic race to the bottom and the corresponding environmental issues, they're going to have to do it with our wallets, votes and some actual, hard, meaningful actions.

Unfortunately, given how many people are addicted to cheap crap, consumerism etc...I don't like our chances.

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

The hardest part is changing buying habits. People need to stop being addicted to cheap, low quality crap. Including (maybe especially) our food. Buying less of, but  higher quality things, from companies that don't treat their workers, or the planet poorly, would go a LONG way to reversing a good chunk of our problems. Economic, climate etc.

As much as people like to make fun of the French, they manage to do a HELL of a lot more than us protecting workers (rights, pay, benefits), their food quality etc than we do on this side of the Pacific. We could learn a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

On 1/3/2024 at 10:23 AM, aGENT said:

I'm well aware of what this is "about". Nobody has "fooled" me. Governments (we, the people) need to actually use said government, laws etc to balance this out. People have gotten fat, lazy and forgotten who actually has the power, while letting the wealthy and their corporations lead us around by our privates. If people want to stop the economic race to the bottom and the corresponding environmental issues, they're going to have to do it with our wallets, votes and some actual, hard, meaningful actions.

Unfortunately, given how many people are to cheap crap, consumerism etc...I don't like our chances.

If I could plus + that a million, I would. People have become mewling simps, instead of wielding the immense powers that they have, and forcing change, where change is most needed. 

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

The hardest part is changing buying habits. People need to stop being addicted to cheap, low quality crap. Including (maybe especially) our food. Buying less of, but  higher quality things, from companies that don't treat their workers, or the planet poorly, would go a LONG way to reversing a good chunk of our problems. Economic, climate etc.

Again, + 1M, nothing more needs to be said.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Like I said in the climate change thread:

As much as people like to make fun of the French, they manage to do a HELL of a lot more than us protecting workers (rights, pay, benefits), their food quality etc than we do on this side of the Pacific. We could learn a lot.

Yes, all of those things are true....maybe bcoz some think of the French peoples as "snobbish"? -- "Oui, oui, ooh les escargots!"....when in fact they are a cultured, educated, and democratic republic, with superiority in education, health, judicial, arts, and in many other areas.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, all of those things are true....maybe bcoz some think of the French peoples as "snobbish"? -- "Oui, oui, ooh les escargots!"....when in fact they are a cultured, educated, and democratic republic, with superiority in education, health, judicial, arts, and in many other areas.

Some of it (American especially) come from the American sentiment that they "had to bail them out of two world wars".

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Some of it (American especially) come from the American sentiment that they "had to bail them out of two world wars".

Debatable, maybe so, but 'Merica sure took advantage of their help when it was needed most - in their defining days of their "revolution", when France held off the Brits (which was a key component in their surrender at Yorktown) and sent their navy to bail out the floundering Whigs in Virginia.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1