The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

People becoming homeless due to cost of living and inflation = More drug use.

Is it sooo off topic and unrelated that you had to become a mini-moderator?  

Was this supposed to be some gotcha moment?  The whole country is reeling and in dire straits because of our government. Yay for us because the prairies are doing worse?  Yeah sure, you win.  I brought up west coast cause it's where I live, it's beautiful and it's dying.  

Yeah, no. You insinuated that liberal run cities had worse drug problems than conservative. You got got

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else worried?

I'm lucky to have met my spouse with her house paid off.  With many of us still paying off mortgages, how does a family cough up another $600-$1000 when their renewal comes into place?  Who has an extra $1000 a month?  Someone making $90K a year now has to get a part-time job to make up the difference only to be taxed more in the spring?  I make $90K and I don't know how I'd come up with another $1000 a month for mortgage payments.  As a single person making $15/hour, how are they making rent that's $1500 a month?  A guy on YT says $120K a year is now the minimum  just to break even.  

2 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

anyone else worried?

I'm lucky to have met my spouse with her house paid off.  With many of us still paying off mortgages, how does a family cough up another $600-$1000 when their renewal comes into place?  Who has an extra $1000 a month?  Someone making $90K a year now has to get a part-time job to make up the difference only to be taxed more in the spring?  I make $90K and I don't know how I'd come up with another $1000 a month for mortgage payments.  As a single person making $15/hour, how are they making rent that's $1500 a month?  A guy on YT says $120K a year is now the minimum  just to break even.  

I'm not concerned I see nothing but opportunity.

On 12/8/2023 at 11:40 AM, Wiggums said:

The streets of my once beautiful little town are littered with drug using homeless.   Another brilliant win for our progressive government. 

L.A, Portland, Vancouver.  Liberal government spreading like cancer and destroying the once beautiful and prosperous west coast.  

The cancer is the conservative messaging which is destroying us

Vancouver's homeless.problem existed under the BC Liberals nad Harper's conservatives ... It also existed before either party took office ....

Despite what Milhouse sings in tik tok Vancouver has had homeless camps.before Trudeau and will.after he leaves 

The homeless and drug problems we have are decades in the making and both the left and right wing share mutual blame for allowing it to grow and continue

• Cheers 1

Saw the post about northern costs, and yep those are high- however, generally,  so are the wages- and iirc there is a Northern Living tax deduction, to mitigate some of the costs.

Sadly, no matter how many times people post the numbers comparing Canada to the other g-7;  some folk will still blame the Libs.

Hey- maybe it's time to go after the mega rich, who somehow managed to shift about $7 billion from the rest of us during covid,  into their pockets.

Mentioned this in a couple of places now- but remember in the old days there was an "Occupy Wall Street' movement, and it looked like some change was coming? Then some thing else popped up, and  most people forgot all about the mega rich, and the needed changes that were allegedly coming to fix things.

Peasants are getting upset- send in the circus and throw them a few loaves of bread, and presto, the movement to actually change stuff got forgotten about.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

The cancer is the conservative messaging which is destroying us

Vancouver's homeless.problem existed under the BC Liberals nad Harper's conservatives ... It also existed before either party took office ....

Despite what Milhouse sings in tik tok Vancouver has had homeless camps.before Trudeau and will.after he leaves 

The homeless and drug problems we have are decades in the making and both the left and right wing share mutual blame for allowing it to grow and continue

Lol what?  You're saying homelessness, drug addiction and inflation isn't an issue stemmed from liberal government?  It has skyrocketed.  Yes, Vancouver and other cities have always had and always will have an issue with it but it's tenfold under Trudeau.  My town never had an issue with it until the last 2-3 years. 

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Lol what?  You're saying homelessness, drug addiction and inflation isn't an issue stemmed from liberal government?  It has skyrocketed.  Yes, Vancouver and other cities have always had and always will have an issue with it but it's tenfold under Trudeau.  My town never had an issue with it until the last 2-3 years. 

If this was case there should be zero homeless or drug problems in Alberta , Saskatchewan and Ontario. Most issues that have the most impact are under provincial jurisdiction not federal. The truth is the run away homeless problem and drug problems effect equally conservative and non conservative areas . Canada and the USA 

Milhouse has successfully sold it as being created and maintained by non conservative jurisdictions and since he said it on tik tok it must be true 

If I'm fact federal government policies have caused it we would see a delayed reaction until a few years after the policy changes .... In other words your argument is Harper caused it and Trudeau hasn't done anything to fix it

And you'd be right as they are both to blame

The worst of the problem began in BC with the closure of Riverview and all such facilities across Canada.  By dramatically increasing the number of people seeking low income housing it was inevitable that this was what the future would look like

Another group of homeless is the working poor .... And carbon tax alone if eliminated would still not do anything to fix this. Not everyone can or wants to go to university and not everyone can own their own business. Gone are.the jobs that for entry level.will lift a worker out of poverty.

And the worst is about to hit .... Back in the late 70's onwards governments passed anti worker legislation and supported off shoring manufacturing and elimination of most private sector pensions.  The first workers that were fully impacted by no pension have just begun retiring without any pension other then cpp.  The grey wave is about to dump millions of Canadians into dire poverty in retirement

The sad part is both liberal and conservative leaders successfully play the blame game on each other and thanks to that distraction no one ever holds.them.acxountable 

Watch tommy Douglases Mouseland. The white cats and black cats are playing us all as fools and Millhouse and Trudeau are both playing that same game 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheBearded1 said:

is this akin to investing in an airline manufacturer after their stock price drops after a plane crash?

Yea I mean it's absolutely brutal. It's similar to Brad Pitt's character in Big Short which was an excellent display of internal conflict.

At the end of the day I hope for the best, ready to move if it's bad.

Edited by chris12345
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

You can blame the Liberals current immigration flood gate for the rise in housing costs and inflation:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/it-cancels-out-every-liberal-housing-promise-and-then-some-canadas-biggest-immigration-surge-in-70-years

We need immigration in huge numbers to keep the housing industry stimulated. If that industry, and all that’s associated with it collapsed, our economy would tank. 
Lots of affordable housing in smaller centres. 
Poo Poo will continue with high immigration numbers if the Conartists are elected. He’s a sh*t head but he’s not stupid. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm not an economist but I do feel like over 430k in 3 months is probably far too many

I once read that we need about 500k per year.

But in the world of politics and with an eye to the future. What are the numbers that would ease our housing mess and still help the economy?

PP is trying to get to run the ship...is he offering any figures?

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But in the world of politics and with an eye to the future. What are the numbers that would ease our housing mess and still help the economy?

Are dog whistles numbers?

• Haha 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Honestly at the rate housing is currently being built, I believe even 500k is too much. What the sweet spot is? I don't know. But we brought in over a million people in the last year. That is beyond unsustainable. 

Our entire economy shouldn't have to live or die on bringing mass amounts of immigrants to prop our housing and economy up.

If he wants votes he better figure something out

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Are dog whistles numbers?

There's a sheep herding joke in here somewhere...

But I take it that nobody has a point/counterpoint on actual numbers needed for a healthy balance going forward?

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

There's a sheep herding joke in here somewhere...

But I take it that nobody has a point/counterpoint on actual numbers needed for a healthy balance going forward?

There is a good report on this - I'll locate it when in at a computer and post it. But yes it's around 500k per year.

• Cheers 1