The Inflation & Cost of Living Complaints Thread

Warhippy

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

here's some background on the 500k number. So yeah, its pretty much required if we hope to have the GDP needed to deal with our debt and current program levels.

If anyone wants to go to austerity, then we can reduce immigration. Which would really put us behind the 8 ball globally, we need far more skilled immigrants.

Thats the real danger in Skippy's non-plan, losing out on the worlds skilled workers. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/transparency/consultations/2023-consultations-immigration-levels-report.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2022/02/infographic-immigration-and-canadas-economic-recovery.html

It's refreshing to see that someone actually gets this. 🍺

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

I frame it differently. I love my commute. 
30 minutes down a country road with the sun at my back. 
Put on hockey talk or music. 
Between the crazy people at work and teenager drama at home that is the best time of day. 

That's fair, haha. My home life as a single man is super chill and relaxing. I'm also a night owl, so long commutes mean even less sleep, which is already a struggle for me.

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The biggest one I've seen is in relation to having a member of your family already being a Canadian citizen, pretty much opens the door for all other family members and it cascades. Canada is well known for its loose immigration policy was even cited by the Israeli government when discussing options for Palestinians being displaced to.  

I wouldn't call it a "loophole", as it was set up specifically with the goal of keeping families together. It's also a fact that if said citizen brings his or her family to Canada, they are responsible for their upkeep:

To be eligible the 2023 Parents and Grandparents Program, sponsors must have met the following criteria:

• Have completed an Interest to Sponsor form on IRCC's website in 2020;
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;
  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Be residing in Canada (potential applicants will need to provide a proof of status during the Interest to Sponsor phase);
  • Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both the sponsor and spouse can be included) and provide proof of income to IRCC; and
  • Sign an undertaking:
    • to financially support the sponsored for 20 years (starting when they become permanent residents);
    • to repay any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable) for a period of 20 years; and/or
    • If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional "undertaking" must be signed with the province of Quebec.

Applicants to the PGP will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their application.

https://www.canadavisa.com/parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship.html

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What's so bad about this?

Remains to be seen.

I sense your question was based on concern rather than hatred for drug users.   That's my angle too.

I see some benefits to the BC's approach but Portland Oregon did about the same thing and now has more drugs, more drug users, and more drug deaths.

BTW - I googled to find proof of Portland's woes.  It's out there though often just as a brief intro to liberal bashing.   I did find this in the NYT and found it interesting:

Portugal successfully decriminalized drugs over two decades ago. Its approach differs significantly from Oregon’s. Focusing on effective treatment, training, and social and professional integration, Portugal emphasizes police involvement with escalating civil consequences and legal sanctions for recidivism and noncompliance with law enforcement citations to participate in dissuasion procedures.

As the U.S. suffers through the worst overdose epidemic in its history, all sides should look to Portugal with a sense of humility rather than twisting data points to support ideological agendas.

There were 109,680 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. in 2022. In 2021, the most recent year for which official data are available, Portugal reported 74 overdose fatalities.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Remains to be seen.

I sense your question was based on concern rather than hatred for drug users.   That's my angle too.

I see some benefits to the BC's approach but Portland Oregon did about the same thing and now has more drugs, more drug users, and more drug deaths.

BTW - I googled to find proof of Portland's woes.  It's out there though often just as a brief intro to liberal bashing.   I did find this in the NYT and found it interesting:

Portugal successfully decriminalized drugs over two decades ago. Its approach differs significantly from Oregon’s. Focusing on effective treatment, training, and social and professional integration, Portugal emphasizes police involvement with escalating civil consequences and legal sanctions for recidivism and noncompliance with law enforcement citations to participate in dissuasion procedures.

As the U.S. suffers through the worst overdose epidemic in its history, all sides should look to Portugal with a sense of humility rather than twisting data points to support ideological agendas.

There were 109,680 drug overdose deaths in the U.S. in 2022. In 2021, the most recent year for which official data are available, Portugal reported 74 overdose fatalities.

I was aware of the approach being used by Portugal and my point was more along the lines of how such an initiative is preferable to incarceration for mere possession.

The quote the person who was decrying the BC program posted did say that users would be offered information on social programs available and treatment if requested.

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I wouldn't call it a "loophole", as it was set up specifically with the goal of keeping families together. It's also a fact that if said citizen brings his or her family to Canada, they are responsible for their upkeep:

To be eligible the 2023 Parents and Grandparents Program, sponsors must have met the following criteria:

• Have completed an Interest to Sponsor form on IRCC's website in 2020;
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;
  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Be residing in Canada (potential applicants will need to provide a proof of status during the Interest to Sponsor phase);
  • Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both the sponsor and spouse can be included) and provide proof of income to IRCC; and
  • Sign an undertaking:
    • to financially support the sponsored for 20 years (starting when they become permanent residents);
    • to repay any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable) for a period of 20 years; and/or
    • If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional "undertaking" must be signed with the province of Quebec.

Applicants to the PGP will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their application.

https://www.canadavisa.com/parent-and-grandparent-sponsorship.html

When the target was 465k and you end up with "Canada's total population growth for the first nine months of 2023 (+1,030,378 people)" there are some cracks in the system. 

• Like 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

I was aware of the approach being used by Portugal and my point was more along the lines of how such an initiative is preferable to incarceration for mere possession.

The quote the person who was decrying the BC program posted did say that users would be offered information on social programs available and treatment if requested.

I saw what you responded to and understand why you did.

I guess I just responded to the 'is that a bad thing' question with:  Maybe.  It depends what else we do too.

The drug problem question is complex.  I sure as hell don't know how to solve it.  I'm not convinced many do and that troubles me.

It's on my mind over the holidays as one of my wife's co-workers just lost a son to a drug overdose.   I never met him, but I met the mom and she's just like any other mom.  This tragedy is hitting all kinds of families.

The Portugal stuff I just added because I stumbled upon it and found it interesting.

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

When the target was 465k and you end up with "Canada's total population growth for the first nine months of 2023 (+1,030,378 people)" there are some cracks in the system. 

What are you suggesting with "cracks in the system"? Some sort of illegal immigration?

How much of that increase can be attributed to the birth rate?

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What are you suggesting with "cracks in the system"? Some sort of illegal immigration?

How much of that increase can be attributed to the birth rate?

International migration accounted for nearly all growth from July 1, 2022, to July 1, 2023 (98%)

It is more just loose policy making and prioritizing short term gain over long term sustainability. Instead of planning ahead and building homes and infrastructure, they are chasing the rabbit while the cost of living increasingly puts extra strain on many families nation wide. The new generation of kids coming up not sure they can ever afford to buy a home is crushing. Especially with the land mass and naturally resources such as timber available in Canada.    

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

curious, what loopholes are you hearing about?

many come here as students (where the "university" they paid for is just some office building) and they teach them how to change their student visa to a work visa. Then if they promise to work at Tims or A&W or anyone else for minimum wages for a year the are promised PR.

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

problem is I cant afford 2.5 grams of any of that stuff. And I wouldnt know where to buy it anyway

I don't know where you are but I bet in my little city anybody with about $20 could find some kind of horrible drug in an hour or less.  Maybe a few minutes if they are 'lucky' .

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

I don't know where you are but I bet in my little city anybody with about $20 could find some kind of horrible drug in an hour or less.  Maybe a few minutes if they are 'lucky' .

My big score is a 2lb pork roast at sobeys for under $5

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

International migration accounted for nearly all growth from July 1, 2022, to July 1, 2023 (98%)

It is more just loose policy making and prioritizing short term gain over long term sustainability. Instead of planning ahead and building homes and infrastructure, they are chasing the rabbit while the cost of living increasingly puts extra strain on many families nation wide. The new generation of kids coming up not sure they can ever afford to buy a home is crushing. Especially with the land mass and naturally resources such as timber available in Canada.    

They'll have a better chance affording them with the jobs they have from a not collapsed economy propped up by that immigration....🤷‍♂️

Again, the problem isn't immigration, it's not building the homes (or infrastructure) to keep up with it. A problem started ~30 years ago with slashed funding to CMHC public housing. Something neither party has corrected over those 3 decades. And even infrastructure almost always comes after population. Governments need the population base to pay the taxes to build the infrastructure (though yes, some more forethought and planning would be nice).

10 minutes ago, Tusk said:

hen if they promise to work at Tims or A&W or anyone else for minimum wages for a year the are promised PR.

I thought you had to be manager/supervisor status.

That was the case for 3 guys I promoted when I was running a group of shops. They worked hard to get promoted, as it affected their PR. Couple guys from Aus and a Brit. Great guys. 

13 minutes ago, Tusk said:

many come here as students (where the "university" they paid for is just some office building) and they teach them how to change their student visa to a work visa. Then if they promise to work at Tims or A&W or anyone else for minimum wages for a year the are promised PR.

Ok say that's true. We can't fill those jobs any other way.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:53 PM, Bounce000 said:

I’m considering a move to Central America as well. My wife is from El Salvador so we have family and friends there for support. The only draw backs is lack of hockey, the language barrier, and someone with tattoos on their face could decapitate me.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:32 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

I read some of the posts here... I feel for everyone going through a very tough period in Canada and many parts of the world.  Personally... The covid pandemic was the final straw for me.  I was so disappointed with our government and a lot of our citizens through that time.

I decided to sell my house and move to Central America.  To be completely honest.... It was the best choice I could have made.  Simple way to live.  Way less stress.  Money goes so much further and the people here know how to stay together in a crisis.  It's far from perfect... There are many challenges here too... Just different.  Anyway, I'm much happier now.  But I made some sacrifices in order to get here... Namely, I'm further away from my kids and best buds... However, they're coming down this way cause it's bleeping beautiful!!!!.... Something to think about.

Nice!!! I will be selling everything I own and be making the move abroad too in 2024, likely to Colombia (or maybe Philippines, also a country with the peso, and widely spoken English). It will be my stress free early retirement....

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Goal is 465k new permanant residents. The 1 mil figure includes student visas and temporary work visas.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm all for raising the minimum wage to something livable.

When the gov figured everyone needed $2000 per month after taxes, that should have implemented something..... I mean, that was 2020? Covid? I missed it, I was working