The Unofficial Chess Thread A place to discuss chess, theory and share resources...

PeteyBOI

Hans Neiman, the young fellow that survived the cheating allegations of 2 yrs back, just kicked a lot of butts in his recent tourney.

The tournament of Peace, held in Zagreb just ended.

Hans earned 8 points out of 9 available by winning 7 games and drawing 2, with 0 losses.

Should see a significant bump to his elo

https://chess-results.com/tnr852516.aspx?lan=1&art=4&turdet=yes&flag=30

On 9/19/2023 at 10:23 AM, Salacious Crumb said:

I was going to start another “Tell a story one word at a time” thread but this place is still shiny and new…

So…chess. I haven’t really played in around 30 years and have been wanting to play again. Anyone game?

IMG_2829.jpeg

Somehow this slipped past me. 😞

Sure, I'll play.

I have 2  online accounts-1 at Chess.com and 1 at Lichess--- both under the name QathetMike.

rated/unrated/timed/untimed; any category will do fine.

• 2 weeks later...

=$10,789 US dollars.

A flea bite to a man of his wealth.

All the abuse Hans Neiman went through, for no good reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tourney going on in Toronto has been fun to watch-even if it is 'just' 15 minute rapid.

• Upvote 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:16 AM, Gurn said:

$300,000Us prize money game under way at Chess.com

Winner earns $200,000- loser gets $100,00

3rd and 4rth took home $50,000 each.

Magnus wins

Wesley So places 2nd

Nordibeck and Fabio are 3rd and 4rth.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Todays puzzle at Chess.com is amazingly difficult. The site does make them harder, day by day, starting on easy Monday-but holy carp!!!

• Cheers 1

I have some interest in chess, but the necessity of opening memorization bores me. I feel like there's a world coming soon where Chess 960 could take off with the right marketing. I've never actually played it, but the removal of memorization seems to emphasize theoretical knowledge more than memorization, which is a lot more interesting.

Bullet or Blitz Chess 960 would play a lot more like traditional sports, in which you have to react quickly to evolving landscapes and unlike traditional chess, you couldn't just rattle off 5-10 memorized moves without thinking.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I have some interest in chess, but the necessity of opening memorization bores me. I feel like there's a world coming soon where Chess 960 could take off with the right marketing. I've never actually played it, but the removal of memorization seems to emphasize theoretical knowledge more than memorization, which is a lot more interesting.

Have you looked at 4 person chess as well?

reminds me of a 'chinese' checkers board

Just now, Gurn said:

Have you looked at 4 person chess as well?

reminds me of a 'chinese' checkers board

It does look like that yeah.

I've always found that Chess doesn't fit my strengths that well (namely quick on-the-spot thinking) and it seems to just favour those who memorize the best. Would be neat to find a variant that focuses more on strong theory than memorization and I figure Chess 960 is closer to that. Add in short time controls and you get some quickness required too--this would make it more akin to a lot of competitive video games or even a sport like hockey, where you need to make instant decisions based on the situation.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It does look like that yeah.

I've always found that Chess doesn't fit my strengths that well (namely quick on-the-spot thinking) and it seems to just favour those who memorize the best. Would be neat to find a variant that focuses more on strong theory than memorization and I figure Chess 960 is closer to that. Add in short time controls and you get some quickness required too--this would make it more akin to a lot of competitive video games or even a sport like hockey, where you need to make instant decisions based on the situation.

I don't play as much chess as I do chess puzzles, these days.

https://lichess.org/training

do as many as you want, no limits and not a paid site. They also have an excellent learning section.

How are you doing Gurn, are you ok?

NO

th?id=OIP.IbloIN-tuxCGPHbB7AFKjgAAAA&w=154&h=212&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&pid=3.1&rm=2
Just got over the 2400 level for LiChess puzzles, was sitting at 2411 then poof it's gone.
Got 1 wrong and now at 2399. Was so annoyed I forgot to check what that individual puzzle was rated at.:(
Well sheeeit.

Chess is sooo much fun isn't it? lol.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

NO

th?id=OIP.IbloIN-tuxCGPHbB7AFKjgAAAA&w=154&h=212&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&pid=3.1&rm=2
Just got over the 2400 level for LiChess puzzles, was sitting at 2411 then poof it's gone.
Got 1 wrong and now at 2399. Was so annoyed I forgot to check what that individual puzzle was rated at.:(
Well sheeeit.

how you doing gurn?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gurn said:

NO

Well sheeeit.

Haha at least you're better than my sorry self.

I almost hit 1000 in chess.com puzzles for the first time, so that was a new best, which is fun. Might try doing them more often to see if I can actually improve.

I also tried chess960 against a bot and it was surprisingly fun--was losing badly until the bot hung their queen in one move haha

• Cheers 1

Big fiasco in the chess world, as a couple of tournaments were created with mere days to go in the time limit to qualify for the candidates tourney.

The winner of the candidates tourney plays the World Champ for the World title, and some very last minute shenanigans have arisen, including a tourney, held in one prospects home town, against 3 Gm's that are well past their prime and several hundred elo below the fella that needs a few more points.

Another tournament was held in India just a week ago, but at least that tourney had the hardest level of competition ever held in India.

Watched Gotham explain it, and despite just how wacked the debacle is, I'm laughing at how bad this has been handled.

started hearing Yackety Sax in my head.

Granted, I don't really follow chess.  But this sounded pretty good to me:

London chess prodigy, 8, wins title at European championships

An eight-year-old girl has been crowned best female player at the European blitz chess championships.

Bodhana Sivanandan, from Harrow, north-west London, scored 8.5/13 at the event in Croatia, finishing ahead of seasoned professionals in the process.

She defeated an international master and drew with a grandmaster, in a result described as "unbelievable".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67770604?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Thanks 1

^ There were 327 players higher ranked than her, at this tourney.

https://chess-results.com/tnr835051.aspx?lan=1&art=9&fed=ENG&turdet=YES&flag=30&snr=328

her play was rated at 2316 over the course of the event, and she gained a massive, massive  211 Elo-going from 1944 to 2155.

She did this against an "open" field.

The youngster is has already earned the title of Women's Candidate Master, and is well on her way to more FIDE titles.

I like seeing her play against all opponents, rather than restricting herself to only Women's events.

Truly a bright star on the horizon.

-------------------------

Add in- while she did not win the event, she was the best woman in the field in terms of results.

Gotham has just done a video on her- apparently the young gal has an iq of 200- played simultaneous events at 7yrs of age and had a streak of 32 wins in 32 games against international competition.

Edited by Gurn
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Chess.com has closed former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik's blog, due to repeated violations of the terms of service.

Kramnik has been on an 'anti-cheating' mission for many months now, which is a good thing.

However in his zeal, he has named and pointed suspicion at many people, who have done nothing wrong.

His latest target was a 12 yr old, who currently has an amazing blitz elo.

Kramnik has attempted to use math and stats to prove that people are cheaters; but when actual mathematicians and statisticians reply with where he got his numbers wrong, he either deletes those posts or starts name calling.

Sadly, in the 12 yr old's case Kramnik is in essence saying "since the lad beat a guy I previously singled out as a cheater*- the boy must have cheated.

* Hikaru Nakamura- one of the top 5 players in the world at classical and blitz chess and per wiki

"five-time U.S. Chess Champion, and the reigning World Fischer Random Chess Champion. A chess prodigy, he earned his grandmaster title at the age of 15, the youngest American at the time to do so. With a peak rating of 2816, Nakamura is the tenth-highest-rated player in history.

The Hikaru accusations stemmed from a huge streak of wins, against lesser rated players- all broadcast live and 3 minute games. Kind of hard to cheat in a 3 minute game- and since it was video streamed all you have to do is follow Hikaru's eye movements, and his verbalized, at the time of the games, reasons for his moves, to figure out , as a layman, that  Nak wasn't cheating. Then Chess.com did a review of the games using their 'cheat detection' software and came up with nothing.

Most have heard the saying "there is a fine line between genius and insanity"   unfortunately it looks like GM Kramnik has crossed that line. 😞

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Chess.com has closed former World Champion Vladimir Kramnik's blog, due to repeated violations of the terms of service.

Kramnik has been on an 'anti-cheating' mission for many months now, which is a good thing.

However in his zeal, he has named and pointed suspicion at many people, who have done nothing wrong.

His latest target was a 12 yr old, who currently has an amazing blitz elo.

Kramnik has attempted to use math and stats to prove that people are cheaters; but when actual mathematicians and statisticians reply with where he got his numbers wrong, he either deletes those posts or starts name calling.

Sadly, in the 12 yr old's case Kramnik is in essence saying "since the lad beat a guy I previously singled out as a cheater*- the boy must have cheated.

* Hikaru Nakamura- one of the top 5 players in the world at classical and blitz chess and per wiki

"five-time U.S. Chess Champion, and the reigning World Fischer Random Chess Champion. A chess prodigy, he earned his grandmaster title at the age of 15, the youngest American at the time to do so. With a peak rating of 2816, Nakamura is the tenth-highest-rated player in history.

The Hikaru accusations stemmed from a huge streak of wins, against lesser rated players- all broadcast live and 3 minute games. Kind of hard to cheat in a 3 minute game- and since it was video streamed all you have to do is follow Hikaru's eye movements, and his verbalized, at the time of the games, reasons for his moves, to figure out , as a layman, that  Nak wasn't cheating. Then Chess.com did a review of the games using their 'cheat detection' software and came up with nothing.

Most have heard the saying "there is a fine line between genius and insanity"   unfortunately it looks like GM Kramnik has crossed that line. 😞

no, he's just an idiot that doesn't know how to argue...didnt put enough effort into his posts... it was probably a natural reaction to double down. 

however, he did not follow the rules... maybe someone should have told him what the rules were before banning him, not everyone (read most) reads the TOS.

I have seen lots of people accuse others of cheating and not get banned, AND they always reminded them of the TOS...

I'd say this looks like crap from Chess.com and likely wont be giving them any more of my money.

3 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I'd say this looks like crap from Chess.com and likely wont be giving them any more of my money.

Li Chess is free.

And just the other day I discovered they have a good analysis section.

I'd been so busy playing puzzles there, I didn't do enough exploring of the whole site, lol.

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Li Chess is free.

And just the other day I discovered they have a good analysis section.

I'd been so busy playing puzzles there, I didn't do enough exploring of the whole site, lol.

its pretty good yeah...`

there is also another site i like for learning openings... ill try to remember it...

• Cheers 1