The Unofficial Chess Thread A place to discuss chess, theory and share resources...

PeteyBOI

3 minutes ago, MidKnight Ego said:

I suppose thats pretty fair. I'm still not giving them money.

I was going to, but their ability to just terminate my account, for whatever reason they wanted, kind of bugged me. Plus there was nothing saying they would reimburse the money or portion, based on how much term I had left in the year.

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I was going to, but their ability to just terminate my account, for whatever reason they wanted, kind of bugged me. Plus there was nothing saying they would reimburse the money or portion, based on how much term I had left in the year.

they dolots of shady things in their buisness, that only a crook would do in real life.

• Cheers 1

Is it just me or is it weird that we have women-exclusive titltes? If the notion that women have no biological (or otherwise) disadvantage compared to men is true, doesn't it make sense to have them on the same playing field? It strikes me as insulting to women to have titles with female versions that have lower standards than the gender neutral ones, unless there's a good case women are disadvantaged in some way.

Is there a world where WGM, WIM, etc. are phased out? This young 8-year old British-Indian girl for instance, seems like someone who could easily become a GM, and because of things like the Queen's Gambit and other popular female chess personalities, I see female chess rising dramatically in the coming years as the newer players grow in strength over the coming years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Is it just me or is it weird that we have women-exclusive titltes? If the notion that women have no biological (or otherwise) disadvantage compared to men is true, doesn't it make sense to have them on the same playing field? It strikes me as insulting to women to have titles with female versions that have lower standards than the gender neutral ones, unless there's a good case women are disadvantaged in some way.

Is there a world where WGM, WIM, etc. are phased out? This young 8-year old British-Indian girl for instance, seems like someone who could easily become a GM, and because of things like the Queen's Gambit and other popular female chess personalities, I see female chess rising dramatically in the coming years as the newer players grow in strength over the coming years.

Women used to have to ride side-saddle. It was dumb. Just like it’s dumb for women to be thought of as not able to beat men at chess. As long as a game doesn’t take physical stuff then women and men should compete on the same level. Clearly chess would be in that category. Poker too. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Women's only divisions/tourneys are a lingering effect of a world where women could not play with men-which remains true in many countries.

The titles are easier to get, which was an attempt to get more women to play- and probably because even the more 'enlightened' men that where ok with allowing women to play thought them inferior.   -Women drivers are worse than men kind of thinking

Also it could have been an attempt to recognize the exceptional ladies sooner, as the gals of yesteryear usually did not get to play against the better competition, stunting the ladies growth as players.

For most of the world this is changing or already has.

Unfortunately there are still a number of countries where the sexes do not compete- or share any leisure time with men, unless they are married or male members of the gal's family.

In the 8 year old's case, as a British girl, of Indian descent, she is able to play the men, where I'm reasonably sure there are still parts of India itself that would still forbid it, or at least make it extremely difficult.

Here is an ESPN story, pertaining to India and chess

https://www.espn.com/chess/story/_/id/30265331/gender-trenders-queens-gambit-how-india-women-chess-pioneers-fought-patriarchal-system-won

India is a lot more equality' conscious these days- but other countries are stone age societies in regards to gender.

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Round 4 of 13, in the Tata Steel tourney, taking place in the Netherlands, is over

So far Anish Giri leads with 3.5 points, and 3 players tied for 2nd with 2 points each.

14 players are in the Masters division:

GM Ding Liren

GM Wei Yi

GM Ian Nepomniachtchi

GM Nodirbek Abdusattorov

GM Alireza Firouzja

GM Gukesh Dommaraju

GM Anish Giri

GM Jorden van Foreest

GM Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa

GM Alexander Donchenko

GM Vidit Gujrathi

GM Max Warmerdam

GM Parham Maghsoodloo

GM Ju Wenjun

And another group of 14 , called Challengers are also playing best of 13 games.  -there are 11 Grandmasters and 3 International masters in this group.

The winner of this group will be in the Masters tourney next year

Highest rating in this bunch belongs to Hans Neiman at 2692

• Like 1

Round 5 of the tourney and some major upsets occurred

GM Ju Wenjun, the current Women's Champion, rated at    2549         beat a top 5 or even top 3 player in  GM Alireza Firouzja rated 2759

and perhaps even more impressively, this lady, who was 0-4 in the Challenger division won her game

IM Eline Roebers rated 2381 beat GM Hans Neiman rated 2692.

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 1

I didn't post this properly, yesterday, but the software saved it- so here it is:

Round 6 of 13 complete

GM Ju Wenjun drew her game against GM Vidit, who is rated at 2742

and 

IM Eline Roebers won against 2665 rated GM Mustafa Yilmaz--- I watched a bit of this game this morning.  I don't think she will earn a Grandmaster Norm, in this tourney- but will likely end up over 2400 elo, if she continues to play as she has in the last 2 games.

• Like 1

Today was round 7

GM Ju Wenjun drew against 2643 rated Alexander Donchenko, and she now has 3 out of 7 possible points- puts her in 11th spot,a game and a half out of the lead.

In the challenger division Eline Roebers lost to 2630 rated  GM Saleh Salem.

• Like 1

Rest day in the Tata Steel tourney

standings so far-after 10 of 13 rounds

#1 GM Nodirbek Abdusattorov 6.5

#2 GM Gukesh Dommaraju 6.5

#3 GM Anish Giri 6.0

#4 GM Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu 6.0

#5 GM Vidit Santosh Gujrathi 5.5

#6 GM Wei Yi 5.5

#7 GM Alireza Firouzja 5.5

#8 GM Ian Nepomniachtchi 5.5

#9 GM Parham Maghsoodloo 4.0

#10 GM Ju Wenjun 4.0

#11 GM Ding Liren 4.0

#12 GM Max Warmerdam4.0

#13 GM Alexander Donchenko 3.5

#14 GM Jorden van Foreest 3.5

so far the 2 things that stand out are

1 Ding Liren in a 9th place tie, he is the current world champion, but is rusty as heck.

2 Ju Wenjun is also in a tie for 9th.

In the Challenger section results so far

#1 GM Marc Andria Maurizzi 7.5

#2 GM Leon Luke Mendonca 6.5

#3 GM Daniel Dardha 6.0

#4 GM Erwin l'Am i6.0

#5 GM Anton Korobov 6.0

#6 GM Saleh Salem 5.5

#7 GM Hans Moke Niemann 5.5

#8 GM Jaime Santos Latasa 5.5

#9 GM Liam Vrolijk 5.0

#10 GM Mustafa Yilmaz 4.0

#11 GM Harika Dronavalli 4.0

#12 IM Divya Deshmukh 4.0

#13 IM Stefan Beukema 2.5

#14 IM Eline Roebers 2.0

Note- the highest rated 'Challenger', Hans Neiman, is in a tie for 6th spot.

• 2 weeks later...

f632e31c-7e1d-4d87-84af-cc8ba4d103c7rrrr.thumb.png.df9a9d203fa9e23374afaeab07096203.png

In the world of chess, the pursuit of improvement can sometimes lead down unexpected paths. For me, it was a journey marked by moments of doubt, suspicion, and a relentless search for answers. As I grappled with the phenomenon of chess cheating paranoia, I found myself consumed by questions of fairness and integrity. Hours turned into days,and days into months, as I delved deeper into the complexities of the game, determined to uncover the truth.

Understanding Chess Cheating Paranoia:

phpupLNQj.jpg

Chess cheating paranoia is a curious beast, lurking in the shadows of every move and whispering doubts in the ear of every player. It's that nagging feeling that someone couldn't possibly be beating you fair and square, or perhaps they really are. At my lowest point, I found myself more focused on suspicions of cheating than on honing my own skills—a phenomenon epitomized to its extreme.

My Personal Struggle:

phpH6G4Z2.png

I confess—I've spent countless hours obsessing over the possibility of cheating in chess. At one point, I even took on the role of a cheater sleuth, determined to expose any foul play. But amidst the sea of doubts and suspicions, I realized that while it's possible to spot cheating, it's not always worth the mental toll. I had lost sight of what drew me to the game in the first place—the joy of competition, the thrill of strategy, and the camaraderie of fellow enthusiasts.

In my quest for answers, I embarked on a different kind of journey—one that led me not to the depths of suspicion, but to the realm of self-discovery. Psychological tests revealed insights I had never considered before. They showed me that age and mental health could indeed impact my chess performance, particularly in faster time controls like Bullet and Blitz. But they also revealed something profound: I had more to give in chess, and hope wasn't lost for this over-40-year-old adult improver.

Armed with newfound determination and a fresh perspective, I've set my sights on a new goal: reaching 1500 in rapid chess and beyond. And I've come to terms with the fact that Bullet and Blitz may not be my forte—and that's perfectly okay. Everyone's chess journey is unique, and mine is simply transforming. I've traded suspicions for strategies, doubts for determination, and I'm embracing the journey with open arms.

Inspiration for Fellow Chess Improvers:

To my fellow chess improvers, I offer this: embrace the journey, for it is in the pursuit of improvement that true growth occurs. Along the way, you may encounter the shadows of doubt and suspicion, but do not let them deter you. Instead, use them as fuel to propel yourself forward, for it is in overcoming adversity that we find our greatest strength.

n the face of cheating paranoia, remember that every challenge is an opportunity for growth. Rather than succumbing to suspicion, channel your energy into honing your skills and mastering the game. Embrace the practice sessions, whether it's solving puzzles, studying openings, or finding solace in meditation. These are not just exercises in strategy, but also acts of self-discovery and resilience.

And above all, never lose sight of why you fell in love with chess in the first place. Whether it's the thrill of competition, the joy of intellectual challenge, or simply the camaraderie of fellow enthusiasts, hold onto that spark and let it guide you through the highs and lows of your chess journey.

chess-game-checkmate-B2RNK5.thumb.png.42871afbda5831c5b3d8ef1d84b52de0.png

Edited by PeteyBOI
  • Vintage 1

• 1 month later...

Brain Implants- and chess.

3:20 in, the vid shows moves being made, using only brain power!

This 'implant tech' is going to change the lives of many people with body control issues.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/movies/news/chess-drama-rematch-wins-top-series-mania-prize-annette-bening-takes-best-actress/ar-BB1knAmw?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=becf80241f824b3a9721cbf18abfb2e1&ei=23

"The Series Mania Festival's top prize for best series went to Rematch, a French-Hungarian drama about the historic match between chess grandmaster Garry Kasparov and IBM's Deep Blue computer.

• 2 weeks later...

The Open Candidates Tournament, starts in Toronto tomorrow. All Grand Masters, with 2 exceptions

8 men, playing in a double round robin, winner gets to play Ding Liren for the World Championship

Competing are

Vidit Gujrathi

Ian Nepomniachtchi- Ian lost to Ding Liren in last year's Championship

Hikaru Nakamura

Pragnanandhaa Rameshbabu

Alireza Firouzja

Gukesh Dommaraju

Fabiano Caruana

Nijat Abasov

The ladies are also competing for the right to challenge the Women's World Champ, currently Ju Wenjun

8 players, also a double round robin.

Lei Tingjie

Kateryna  Lagno

Aleksandra Goryachkina

IM  Nurgyul Salimova

Anna Muzychuk

IM Vaishali Rameshbabu--- the sister of Prag.- first time siblings have competed iirc.- she is almost a grandmaster, and will earn that title, depending on how she does at this event.

Tan Zhongyi

Humpy Koneru

------------------

The best, of the best- except Magnus Carlson, who has declined to play

Game times are at 11:30 pacific

Edited by Gurn

Games start in about 40 minutes.

Chess T.V. will have live commentary, by  a few GMs and likely Levy Rozman aka Gotham Chess, who is the most watched chess You Tube.  there is also a page to watch the individual games.

https://www.chess.com/tv

and 

https://www.chess.com/events/2024-fide-candidates-chess-tournament/games             Just click on whatever game you like and it will go single screen/game.

1 game is decided with a draw between Ian  Nepomniachtchi and Nijat Abasov

bit of an upset, as while Abasov was playing white, he is the lowest rated player in the Open side with an elo of 2632 versus 2758 for Ian Nepo.

3 rounds complete, 11 more to go.

Standings in the open section:

Current Round: 3 / 14

GMGukesh Dommaraju

GMIan Nepomniachtchi

GMFabiano Caruana

GMVidit Santosh Gujrathi

GMPraggnanandhaa Rameshbabu

GMAlireza Firouzja

GMHikaru Nakamura

GMNijat Abasov

and in the Women's section:

Current Round: 14 / 14

GMTan Zhongyi

GMAleksandra Goryachkina

GMHumpy Koneru

GMKateryna Lagno

IMVaishali R

GMLei Tingjie

GMAnna Muzychuk

IMNurgyul Salimova

-------------------------------------------------

Clock malfunction in the Nepo against Gukesh game, adding a bit of excitement, as Gukesh was down to 1 minute of time when the clock messed up.

Game ended in a draw.

Grand Masters are not like you and I.

G.M. Peter Leko, doing commentary on one game " This reminds me of a game, from 1998, between......."

Me- I can't remember what opening I played in my last game, which was only a day  ago. lol.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Rest day in the Tourney

standings after 4 games

Nepo       3 points

Gukesh   2.5

Fabi        2.5

Prag        2

Hikaru     1.5

Nijat         1.5

Alireza     1.5

Vidit         1.5

I'm surprised that Hikaru and Alireza are off to such a slow start, both are extremely high ELO guys. Yesterday's game between Nepo and Vidit was very, very good. Nepo could end up being the Chess equivalent of the Buffalo Bills, he's trying to win his 3rd candidates in a row- but has not been able to beat, and become, the World Champ.    

Women's side-results

Tan Zhongyi                               3 points

Alexandra     Goryachkina         2.5

Kateryna   Lagno                       2

Vaishali  Rameshbabu               2

Nurgil   Salimova                       2

Humpy Koneru                          1.5

Lei     Tingjie                              1.5

Anna     Muzychuk                    1.5

Humpy Koneru is off to a slow start, she's been a very strong player for quite some time. Note that Vaishali, and her brother Pragg, are in 3rd place, in each group with 2 points a piece.

Round 5 is tomorrow at 11:30 pacific

21 hours ago, Gurn said:

Grand Masters are not like you and I.

G.M. Peter Leko, doing commentary on one game " This reminds me of a game, from 1998, between......."

Me- I can't remember what opening I played in my last game, which was only a day  ago. lol.

hmm i can remember some of my games... not all of them though

• Cheers 1

round 5- all the Women's games end in a draw

Open side was Hikaru and Gukesh with wins and the others drew.

Pragg was winning his game against Nepo, but 1 small innacurarcy and hours later it is a draw.

Gukesh vs Abasov just ended    almost 6 hours after the start time.