[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Boston Bruins, Feb 8 7PM EST (4PM PST) TD Garden, the Play 'em like it was Game 8 January 7, 2012 ... oh ya, Smash the Rat Too! Game

Rocket-68

Can't We Just All be Civilized  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Marchand heading down the wing and Big Zeke meets him going full speed the other way and "accidently" leaves his feet delivering 245 lbs of rage to the Rat ... result 5 game suspension for Big Zeke and Marchand out for 4 weeks. Do you care?

• Yes, we are striving to win the Lady Bing and thus Pax Romana please
    • Hell no, Big Zeke should have elbow dropped him while prone on the ice for good measure
    • Well if it was an accident, then all is forgiven ... once the suspension is served
    • No, but should always try for a clean hit that borderlines on felonious assault - just short of course
    • None of the above, see my comments below

3 minutes ago, Zodiak said:

Seems like nothing has changed since 2011

bruins play big we play soft and skilled can’t score

Yes and the reality is that our top 6 is pretty soft. I think it’s an issue and it always has been my concern. You have to go through these teams in the playoffs and our top 6 plays small. The one thing our gm hasn’t done is brought in some gritty top 6 forwards.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

In Beantown 

Puritans, who faithfully observed the Sabbath by not working or cooking on Sundays, prepared giant crocks of baked beans on Saturday, which were kept warm in their hearth throughout the weekend. Soon enough, visitors started referring to Boston as “Beantown.”

Seems Petey thinks the Sabbath is Thursdays

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

Puritans, who faithfully observed the Sabbath by not working or cooking on Sundays, prepared giant crocks of baked beans on Saturday, which were kept warm in their hearth throughout the weekend. Soon enough, visitors started referring to Boston as “Beantown.”

Seems Petey thinks the Sabbath is Thursdays

So we can chalk the negatives up to puritans, typical 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes and the reality is that our top 6 is pretty soft. I think it’s an issue and it always has been my concern. You have to go through these teams in the playoffs and our top 6 plays small.

We’ve played bigger than our opposition for most of this year. 

Boston isn’t mythical or a boogeyman. We’ve just had a few guys having terrible nights that have cost us. I’m sure they’ll own up to it post game. 

Aside from cleaning up sloppy play, we don’t need to change a thing to take down these bums in the finals this time around. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

I can’t remember when the Canucks scored first they always seem to have to come back. 

Most of the year we’ve scored first but lately you’re right 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

We've never finished a game with a more than 3 goal deficit. That record is on the line.

These games happen. The law of averages always catches up. It just sucks that it was against the most hated team in the NHL. 

Ftfy 

Edited by coho8888

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Neely played three seasons for the Canucks.  He averaged about 17 goals and 34 points and was close to that each year.  The Canucks hoped for big things but at the end of year three they were not obvious on the horizon and the Canucks had never had a 100 point player before.  The trade worked out for Boston but I don't think Vancouver was stupid when they made the deal.

Neely was only 21 years old when he was traded.  Power forwards need time to develop.  How old was Todd Bertuzzi when he finally turned into a high scoring PW forward.

The worst trade in Canucks history.  Canucks also gave up a 1st round pick (Glen Wesley) 

Neely's success stemmed largely from his hard, accurate shot, quick release, and his willingness to engage in the more physical aspects of the game. At 6 ft 1 in and 215 lb, Neely was as devastating with his body checks and fists as he was with his goal scoring exploits. He became the archetype of the power forward and earned the nickname "Bam-Bam Cam".

In the 1993–94 season, Neely scored his 50th goal in his 44th game; only Wayne Gretzky has scored 50 goals in fewer games.

The Bruins have since retired #8 in his honor, making him the tenth player to have a number retired by the team. Despite his shortened career, he recorded some remarkable scoring feats. Only Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Brett Hull scored a better goals per game average over the course of an NHL season than Neely did with his 50-goals-in-49-games in the 1993–94 season (despite missing 35 games that season). Also, only ten players in NHL history scored a better goals per game average over their career than Neely. He reached the fifty goal mark three times, played in five All-Star games, and was named the league's Second Team All-Star at right wing in 1988, 1990, 1991, and 1994.[citation needed]

On September 25, 2007, Neely was appointed vice president of the Boston Bruins,[5] and was named president of the team on June 16, 2010.[6] On Wednesday, June 15, 2011, Neely returned to British Columbia as the Bruins faced the Canucks in the first Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 in Bruins history and watched the Bruins win 4–0 to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, allowing Neely to lift the Cup after it had eluded him as a player.

Not only he turned into a superstar in Boston.  He was the  BC home boy who helped build the 2011 Bruins into SC champs over the Vancouver Canucks.