[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Boston Bruins, Feb 8 7PM EST (4PM PST) TD Garden, the Play 'em like it was Game 8 January 7, 2012 ... oh ya, Smash the Rat Too! Game

Rocket-68

Can't We Just All be Civilized  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Marchand heading down the wing and Big Zeke meets him going full speed the other way and "accidently" leaves his feet delivering 245 lbs of rage to the Rat ... result 5 game suspension for Big Zeke and Marchand out for 4 weeks. Do you care?

• Yes, we are striving to win the Lady Bing and thus Pax Romana please
    • Hell no, Big Zeke should have elbow dropped him while prone on the ice for good measure
    • Well if it was an accident, then all is forgiven ... once the suspension is served
    • No, but should always try for a clean hit that borderlines on felonious assault - just short of course
    • None of the above, see my comments below

2 minutes ago, CurtFraser24 said:

Neely was only 21 years old when he was traded.  Power forwards need time to develop.  How old was Todd Bertuzzi when he finally turned into a high scoring PW forward.

The worst trade in Canucks history.  Canucks also gave up a 1st round pick (Glen Wesley) 

Neely's success stemmed largely from his hard, accurate shot, quick release, and his willingness to engage in the more physical aspects of the game. At 6 ft 1 in and 215 lb, Neely was as devastating with his body checks and fists as he was with his goal scoring exploits. He became the archetype of the power forward and earned the nickname "Bam-Bam Cam".

In the 1993–94 season, Neely scored his 50th goal in his 44th game; only Wayne Gretzky has scored 50 goals in fewer games.

The Bruins have since retired #8 in his honor, making him the tenth player to have a number retired by the team. Despite his shortened career, he recorded some remarkable scoring feats. Only Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, and Brett Hull scored a better goals per game average over the course of an NHL season than Neely did with his 50-goals-in-49-games in the 1993–94 season (despite missing 35 games that season). Also, only ten players in NHL history scored a better goals per game average over their career than Neely. He reached the fifty goal mark three times, played in five All-Star games, and was named the league's Second Team All-Star at right wing in 1988, 1990, 1991, and 1994.[citation needed]

On September 25, 2007, Neely was appointed vice president of the Boston Bruins,[5] and was named president of the team on June 16, 2010.[6] On Wednesday, June 15, 2011, Neely returned to British Columbia as the Bruins faced the Canucks in the first Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 in Bruins history and watched the Bruins win 4–0 to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, allowing Neely to lift the Cup after it had eluded him as a player.

Not only he turned into a superstar in Boston.  He was the  BC home boy who helped build the 2011 Bruins into SC champs over the Vancouver Canucks.

I'm not debating Neely's credentials.  He is in the Hall of Fame and belongs there.  I just remember hockey at the time and it wasn't certain to me anyway that Neely was destined for big things in 1987.  Jim Sandlak was in the system, a little younger and had crushed it at the World Juniors.  Obviously Sandlak never turned into what Neely turned into but he was decent.  I'm not even sure that the book was out and written in stone at the time on how power forwards develop and how they need extra time like Bertuzzi and Sandlak.  The Canucks had a good history of Neely types...among them Curt Fraser and Tiger Williams who played a big part in 1982.  Not all of them as big as Neely but 30 goal guys who could fight.  They decided to take a run at a premier league scorer and that's what Barry Pederson had been and what the Canucks had never had.  They had fought their way through the Smythe with four other teams all of which had 130 point players or better, while the Canucks had never had a 100 point or 50 goal scorer ever.

Like I said, Boston got the better of the deal, but I didn't think it was crazy at the time the Canucks did it and Pederson was still vying for the team scoring lead during his time in Vancouver.

Just now, 24K said:

Man people will reference this game for the rest of the season to say we are pretenders. 

Hard to argue against at this point. 

easy to argue. It's silly to make that claim over one game.

no team wins them all and we have been in the top of the league since the beginning of the season. 

Any given Sunday.

Its why we have 7 game playoff series'...

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Totally.  82 game season, blowouts happen, even in playoffs too.   It's the response next game that matters more. 

Like to see how they respond next game.  

And Tocchet can just run the lines 

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

Man people will reference this game for the rest of the season to say we are pretenders. 

Hard to argue against at this point. 

in some ways outside noise/doubters might be a good thing.  play angry