[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Boston Bruins, Feb 8 7PM EST (4PM PST) TD Garden, the Play 'em like it was Game 8 January 7, 2012 ... oh ya, Smash the Rat Too! Game

Can't We Just All be Civilized  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Marchand heading down the wing and Big Zeke meets him going full speed the other way and "accidently" leaves his feet delivering 245 lbs of rage to the Rat ... result 5 game suspension for Big Zeke and Marchand out for 4 weeks. Do you care?

• Yes, we are striving to win the Lady Bing and thus Pax Romana please
    • Hell no, Big Zeke should have elbow dropped him while prone on the ice for good measure
    • Well if it was an accident, then all is forgiven ... once the suspension is served
    • No, but should always try for a clean hit that borderlines on felonious assault - just short of course
    • None of the above, see my comments below

27 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Interesting...

2011 hurt...in a time when a 6'1" 180 lb player was small... things are different now... our average sized team might win it all this year... Need More Phil

Phil Kessel? Seriously Phil Kessel? Not happening even at $850 thousand. For him to play top 6 you have to drop either Suter or Mik. Not happening. The 3rd liane is sacred. That means Phil on the 4th. How does that sound? Even there who do you bump? Not happening. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll get over hating Boston when all of their SCF guys are done. Will cheer anyone who hits marchand even tom wilson. 

I liked that thatcher hugged swayman, rather not restart tyre pumping wars and just get the win. 

Be a great game to win, been since 2018. Hoping all 3 of our lines get one and Hughes too.

11 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Did you miss the entire third period? They basically dominated us in the third. Can’t rem What the shots were but at one point it was 10-2 for the canes in the third

People need to seriously stop using shots as a measure of performance. Calgary during their runs were always high volume shots, would shoot it from anywhere, and then get ousted in the playoffs instantly. They would get 1-2 goals on 40+ shots. Did they dominate? No, they got dominated. 

The amount of shots doesn't correlate with performance, especially cherrypicking a 3rd period when a team is trailing another and are starting to take more chances, and are feeling the time running out.

This is what people can't seem to understand, and why they call us PDO merchants and continuously think we'll regress. 

There's so much context to add.  This Canucks team will literally have their bottom 6 suffocate a team for 2+ minutes in their zone, make changes during play, and then capitalize off of one shot. 

Watching the game, the Canucks dominated start to finish (some moments were closer, and Carolina had some good pressure at times; they're a good team). We were unlucky to not be up by 3 halfway through the game, hitting 3 posts, and not getting powerplays for Carolina literally holding our players' sticks all game (Which is fine because the game was reffed horrendously on both sides, like a playoff game). 

Rant over.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Phil Kessel? Seriously Phil Kessel? Not happening even at $850 thousand. For him to play top 6 you have to drop either Suter or Mik. Not happening. The 3rd liane is sacred. That means Phil on the 4th. How does that sound? Even there who do you bump? Not happening. 

Ok, drop Mik. He's not bringing much offensive value to the 2nd line and now that we have 2 Selke-level players on that line, we can afford to up the offense by putting Kessel on that line. Mik will bring just as much value on the 4th, playing prime PK minutes as well and PP2.

3 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Often players from all different corners of the earth favour a team not related to their nationality. If I’m not mistaken EP 40 was an avid Vancouver fan as a young boy and longed to play here. There are other players too. 

I’m not upset with anyone. I just want to see Vancouver on the dishing it out side after years of getting manhandled.

Of course times change . History doesn’t. It’s never too late to serve justice. I’m not sure why you insist fans must forget the history of a team. 
Hell , I remember Buffalo spinning the wheel to draft first which likely set the course of the Canucks entire history. 

Exactly this.

I'm not upset, times change, but I certainly don't forget 1994 or 2011 and never will. Winning, beating Boston tonight, being atop the league, and dishing it out helps to balance the years of pain and heartbreak. 

I don't blame or fault any fan for not forgetting. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well you can tell he didn't get that body via riods.  He got it via the old fashioned diet (hot dogs & pop).🤣  I think Phil even pokes fun at that so that just sort of endures him to me in a way (doesn't take himself seriously I don't think).

I’d trade bananas and pepsi for hot dogs all day long

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If there was a Stanley Cup Final vs. any one of Toronto, Boston, New York Rangers and we lost. I think that would be the last straw for me and all I can take.

I'd just be a Vancouver Giants fan.

Would be tough alright.

In 82, I was just a young punk who disdained the idea of sitting through 3 hours of watching organized sports.  But my father was into his Leafs, so HNIC was always on. I was old enough to know Canucks lost in the SCF to the Islanders.

In 94, I was all in. Started watching as a fan when Bure came to the team.  After his debut I was hooked. Went to the Calgary game we tied the series up.  The went to the Toronto game where we won the Western Conference.  Magical

In 2011, watching from a bar, the most heartbreaking game 6 and game 7 in my life. Went downtown, naively thinking it would be one last time to at least celebrate the great year and great effort with fans. Witnessed a lot stupid embarrassing behaviours instead. 

I too don't know what shape my brain would be in if they actually went to the SCF and lost.  Even tougher if they lost in the seventh game again. And even worse if it was Boston again, watching Marchand taunt the crowd, holding up the Cup again.  That would be a nightmare. I don't want to even think about it.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Interesting...

This guy would sign with Vancouver in a heartbeat if he were offered a contract.  I'm glad to see him cracking the NHL and I hope he gets to play tonight.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This. No one is going to specifically target ratboy but most guys have some sort of history with his antics no matter where they played before now so would relish the chance if it came. Myers didn’t target Keith but when the opportunity presented itself he stepped up with gusto. Took me an hour to stop smiling. The afterglow from Zads flattening ratboy would be timeless.

Agreed.  The guy is a massive disgrace to the sport.  No player in their right mind has any respect for that gutless piece of shit.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's almost as if they were playing in the best league in the world and played how they had to in order to beat one of the best team's in the league in their arena.

It just shocks me that some folks around here have almost no understanding of how the game works. We're in a real weird spot. Sitting on top of the entire league after 50 games but not a top team. :picard: Neat trick.

I think it's more of we've had our hopes dashed in the past. We're just not used to having good things happening.

Maybe the team has finally turned the corner.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

Motto for the season. Never Satisfied. I love it 

The boys don't just wanna beat the competition, they want to absolutely annihilate them.  Attitude of a champion.  We gotta remember Petey dominated the SHL and carried his team to a championship there.  He loves to win. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Just want to say, maybe some people in here need to get their vision checked but we’re lucky we won against the Canes. They were pressing all game and the 3rd period was all them. We didn’t provide any offence in the third period. Just playing dump the puck and kill the time. A top team dominates. I think we just have the right pieces that we get away. We have the depth to make up for the mistakes. But in no way were we controlling the last games. The Canes played a very heavy game and a lot of pressure in their end. 

I respect your opinion on how you saw the game.  I don't agree though. I think there is a fine line between a team that isn't the best team on the ice one night, but gets lucky and gets the lead early in the third. And then just nervously protects the lead by clogging up the neutral zone, backing up,and playing scared.  

For the team we have now. I don't sense any fear or backing down.  I just think Tocchet has them playing a tight system that it looks like they are not being productive because there is not as many risky chances taken. Its more boring hockey playing to lock down a lead. But they didn't panic.  Because they played like they knew where their partner was on the ice, and he was. They concentrated on the basics of the system they have been learning under Tocchet and the other coaches.  A much stricter version than the one they started with in the first period, based on the lead.

In other words, they were playing more defensive, partly due to the other team playing more aggressive being at home and being behind, but they were also still playing smart.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1