[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

Kessel is old and likely not in very good NHL shape.

Although he'll be a free asset that should come at a relatively low cost, 

I'm not entirely sure what he'll be able to do at this stage of his career.

I half jokingly said this awhile back, but the Canucks would have likely been better off bringing Daniel Sedin out of retirement if they wanted a linemate for Lindholm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Picture from YVR. Can’t tell 100% by a picture, but doesn’t look out of shape. We’ve seen how some get over summer, let alone not playing for close to a year. 

IMG_7261.jpeg

I was twiddling down Facebook and came across this just now and came here to see if any confirmation...

7 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

Picture from YVR. Can’t tell 100% by a picture, but doesn’t look out of shape. We’ve seen how some get over summer, let alone not playing for close to a year. 

IMG_7261.jpeg

looks tight. 

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I was twiddling down Facebook and came across this just now and came here to see if any confirmation...

Between PA announcing it, people spotting him at YVR & this pic being posted everywhere, I assume the pic is what it is, but I guess you never know with that shifty social media. Lol!

20 minutes ago, 88Canuck said:

IMG_7261.jpeg

There was an recent picture of him working out and that he was probably in the best physical shape in years.

It is just a matter of if he can get his legs under him and up to speed to play against guys already in mid season form.  We see guys who hold out training camp or have injuries who just can’t catch up even after a whole season.

If he cost us assets or a contract for more than what we can waive it wouldn’t make sense.  As it stands it is zero risk.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

There was an recent picture of him working out and that he was probably in the best physical shape in years.

It is just a matter of if he can get his legs under him and up to speed to play against guys already in mid season form.  We see guys who hold out training camp or have injuries who just can’t catch up even after a whole season.

If he cost us assets or a contract for more than what we can waive it wouldn’t make sense.  As it stands it is zero risk.

Hopefully he can step right in. Low risk, potential high reward. Heck, even his playoff / cup experience is a win win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

The man is a long time veteran as well, I doubt he would even want to play if he didn’t think that he could contribute. I won’t hold my breath but his pedigree alone is worth it at zero risk as you mention.

Thanks Allvin!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Fair enough,

It just seemed odd to me. Someone saying that because he has been really fit, then we should just assume he is in great shape.

Now, with this new news about Kessel being in Van to practice with the baby Canucks... I like the sound of that!

I don't think it's odd. If you've had a restaurant in town for years that's always cooked a mean steak, and it's historically always been a good steak, why would you just randomly just assume it might not still be a good steam house if you have no reason to actually believe that besides the passage of time?

Phil is a genetic freak. He's insanely athletic and fits it inside the body of a middle aged man. That's the entire reason why I like him so much. As someone who works with athletes for a living, these guys are gold.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

looks tight. 

Yeah I don’t know….

I mean what is he now, 38?

He was a healthy scratch when Vegas won the cup (a sub-par performance in the first round earned him a first class trip to the press box to play with boners and eat chicken wings).

Speaking of boners, I’d be excited if Kessel was joining us in 2014…..but it’s 2024 now. I’m just not sure what Kessel will be able to do at this point.

Daniel Sedin would have been more useful than Phil Kessel in my opinion.

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Yeah I don’t know….

I mean what is he now, 38?

He was a healthy scratch when Vegas won the cup (a sub-par performance in the first round earned him a first class trip to the press box to play with boners and eat chicken wings).

Speaking of boners, I’d be excited if Kessel was joining us in 2014…..but it’s 2024 now. I’m just not sure what Kessel will be able to do at this point.

Daniel Sedin would have been more useful than Phil Kessel in my opinion.

less about the ice than the room. 

• Cheers 1

See how he looks in Abby if he's in as good of shape as is rumored sign him and let him chase another cup, he'd be a great asset.... 

It can't hurt having a 3×Champ around some of the younger players and I don't expect him in a huge role but he could potentially fill in nicely given injuries or play managed, sheltered minutes in a top 6 spot.

A guys shot and his hockey IQ are the last things to go and Phil has both of those things.... Gotta say not against it for league min and at no cost of assets.

Nice to be a team that guys see as a contender and want to come on a run with... JR and PA wanted to change the culture and they certainly have.

Edited by Bobby Lou
  • Cheers 1