[Rumour] - Phil the thrill linked to Canucks

1 hour ago, VintageActualCanuckfan said:

Why 1 million plus? he didnt get claimed all season, so why would we pay more than league minimum $750K?

I'd be surprised if it's below $900K, but it's possible. I would think there would be some achievable bonuses on there though that would certainly add a couple hundred thousand to his cost.

Just now, Dom said:

He hasn't played for half of a season, you act like he hasn't played for 5 years lol

Like I said earlier, he wasn’t so “thrilling” for Vegas in terms of production. Also, as each game rolls onwards, players are levelling up in fitness. We are 54 games into the season. I can’t see how he can keep up with the team. Staying gym shape is one thing but we are talking game shape here. 

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Like I said earlier, he wasn’t so “thrilling” for Vegas in terms of production. Also, as each game rolls onwards, players are levelling up in fitness. We are 54 games into the season. I can’t see how he can keep up with the team. Staying gym shape is one thing but we are talking game shape here. 

That's why he is currently skating in Abby, they will see if he is fit to play - and I highly believe he will be. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I'd be surprised if it's below $900K, but it's possible. I would think there would be some achievable bonuses on there though that would certainly add a couple hundred thousand to his cost.

Yeah, and in reality, if its <1.25m, we can bury it in the minors if need be

• Vintage 1

Hell no!

Does anyone see this hanger-on playing within RT’s up-tempo fore- checking structure - without being sheltered in some way?

I feel as betrayed by this move as by I did when, Messier, Keenan or Tortorella were brought to VanCity to lead the team. It’s a betrayal, desperate & unwise. 

Are they trying to counter the Oilers acquiring Perry? It’s not like Kessel is a specimen of fitness or character like Iginla, Bourque or Maroon jumping onto Cup-contenders.

This could also be about friends trying to cement a greater legacy for their friend… & his HOF bid. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Hell no!

Does anyone see this hanger-on playing within RT’s up-tempo fore- checking structure - without being sheltered in some way?

I feel as betrayed by this move as by I did when, Messier, Keenan or Tortorella were brought to VanCity to lead the team. It’s a betrayal, desperate & unwise. 

Are they trying to counter the Oilers move of acquiring Perry. It’s not like Kessel is a specimen of fitness or character like Iginla, Bourque or Maroon trying find a Cup-contender. This is about friends trying to cement a greater legacy for a friend & perhaps mask some of his flaws for a HOF bid. 

Ignorance and assumptions at its finest!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Hell no!

Are they trying to counter the Oilers move of acquiring Perry. It’s not like Kessel is a specimen of fitness or character like Iginla, Bourque or Maroon trying find a Cup-contender. This is about friends trying to cement a greater legacy for a friend & perhaps mask some of his flaws for a HOF bid. 

Messier was a top player the season before he came; 84 points in 71 games. The “Thrill” had 36 points in 82 games. 

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Messier was a top player the season before he came; 84 points in 71 games. The “Thrill” had 36 points in 82 games. 

Good thing he’s just for depth and not expected to be the solution like Messier.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

So, my take on him bring here is, at this point in the season, there will be teams interested in Phil for scoring depth and experience. 3 cup rings really say something a d carry weight in the dressing room. 

He's choosing to come here because he believes it's his best shot at one more cup.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 2

TBH, I think people are making a bit too much of this....on both sides....

From what I can see, Kessel (if he is signed) will be a depth forward who may or may not pay dividends, in case of a scoring slump or injuries to players currently on the roster. I don't really see him as a significant player, but the team has some Cap space available and management has decided that his playoff experience could be a benefit on a team that is limited in that area....

One thing I will say....if PK signs, it likely means that no other significant moves will be made. (unless Allvin can pull off a minor miracle and find a taker for the Giraffe)

• Thanks 1